It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question concerning the Oil Gusher In the Gulf...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Over the past two and a half months oil has been gushing into the Gulf of Mexico, as if everyone didn't alredy know about it. The worlds "top" researchers and engineers are trying to fix it, or so we're told. Why the hell is this thing not capped yet? To my understanding they have alredy tried a few solutions that didnt work out. There was the box, which this thread is basically about, and there was the "TopKill" that didnt work at all.

Now, correct me if im wrong, but from my understanding the Box didnt work because of the slush. Ok fair enough. My question is why dont they make a big steel dome and put it over the well. I know they still want to get to the oil that is in there, but lets be realistic folks, that friggin well is a DUD. Would it be cheaper just to drill another hole OR to have to pay for the fallout of millions upon millions of oil and sludge pouring into the gulf? I think BP needs to get their heads out of their asses if you ask me.

Would a huge steel dome not work? One without a "honey" hole on top. I dont understand why the dont just plug this thing up for good. Drill another hole a couple miles to the west or east or where ever. This crap makes me insane with anger. Just seeing what is happening and how BP is handeling themselves. Its very sad to say the least.

So what do you think ATS? Would it work?

MessOnTheFED!

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
They are drilling wells a couple miles away. The oil, though, is 18,000 feet down and it takes weeks to drill that deep.

The first thing they tried was a big cap but it filled with ice crystals and plugged up.

The thing to remember is that this is not a garden hose.

There are thousands and thousands of gallons of thick oil spraying out at a pressure of (according to records) 5,800 PSI.

The cross section of the pipe is 20 inches, or 314 square inches. This means it would take 1.9 MILLION POUNDS of rock to be placed directly over the hole to stop the leak.

The oil cavity itself is the size of Mount Everest and it's under miles of rock and another mile of ocean.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
This is a perfect example of why a small cylinder of oil under pressure in a hydraulic jack can lift tons of weight, from giant ships to buildings.

Pressurized oil is a very powerful force.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by emsed1

So the dome would have to be unrealisticaly huge in order for it to seal the well off with its weight? Got ya. Well back to the old drawing board. lol

MessOnTheFED!

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Imagine trying to plug a Volcano - it is a non starter

Now lets imagine that for some reason this cannot be plugged - and the big boys already know it -

How is the population at large going to react????

new topics

top topics

join