It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ACLU issues travel alerts for Arizona

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 03:49 AM
link   
? Reread what I wrote. You will see that I also gave an example of myself. Maybe I did not explain my case too well, so I will try again. I am a citizen of the United States. I spent 2 nights in jail before, simply because I did not have any identification on me when I was asked to present it by a law enforcement officer. It took them that long to verify that I was who I said I was. I'm a white guy. I was not breaking any laws, and was minding my own business when the police wanted to see my id. I was only walking home from work at 11 p.m. and not driving. I was not breaking any laws, and I am certain that I was not looking suspicous. However, the cops where looking for someone else who had broken some law, and I happened to be in the immediate area.

You can test this out if you don't believe me. Go walk somewhere at 11 p.m., especially if you live in a decent sized city where the cops do not know everyone. See what happens when a law enforcement officer wants to see your id. Then also see how you will have no legal recourse, even if it takes them a year to verify who you are.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by tamusan

I think your experience is the reason the ACLU is against the AZ law. If you had been mexican looking under the AZ law you could have found yourself on the wrong side of the Rio Grand.

Right it's no big deal to carry your ID at all times. What some are saying and it's not regestering is that the cases posted show that the law says US citizens are not required to carry ID. Well now you do. That is a tiny little freedom that has been taken and everyone is fine because it's going to make this illegal immigration mess go away.

The conspiracy is in the fact that they created the illegal immigration problem by not securing the border. Then they (by they I mean the whole lot of state and federal puppets) have the solution, the AZ law. They'll probably even try to go national with the ID what with the majority of the population all for "papers please" laws being written for a bunch of states.

Sure the illegal immigration problem needs to be dealt with and should have been dealt with decades ago. This may be one of the reasons it wasn't, plus all the profit to be made from the cheap labor, until it got to this point.

[edit on 3-7-2010 by daskakik]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Maybe Obama should take a trip to Arizona...that way we can find out his real citizenship...he might hand out his Kenyan passport.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by tamusan
? Reread what I wrote. You will see that I also gave an example of myself. Maybe I did not explain my case too well, so I will try again. I am a citizen of the United States. I spent 2 nights in jail before, simply because I did not have any identification on me when I was asked to present it by a law enforcement officer. It took them that long to verify that I was who I said I was. I'm a white guy. I was not breaking any laws, and was minding my own business when the police wanted to see my id. I was only walking home from work at 11 p.m. and not driving. I was not breaking any laws, and I am certain that I was not looking suspicous. However, the cops where looking for someone else who had broken some law, and I happened to be in the immediate area.

You can test this out if you don't believe me. Go walk somewhere at 11 p.m., especially if you live in a decent sized city where the cops do not know everyone. See what happens when a law enforcement officer wants to see your id. Then also see how you will have no legal recourse, even if it takes them a year to verify who you are.

So, did the police detain you for a reasonable suspicion of being a suspect in a particular criminal investigation, or did they detain you to illiminate you as a suspect in a partcular criminal investigation.

If they detained you because they had a reasonable suspicion of you
being a suspect in a particular criminal investigation, then they were
justified under the law.

*I do not know if law enforcement has a constitutional right to detain someone sans ID in order to illiminate that person as a suspect in a paticular criminal investigation.*
-(perhaps someone out there can shed some light on this point)

But the Supreme court cases are clear nevertheles. A citizen is not required to carry ID or produce ID on demand, but may be detained until it is establised who that person is during the course of a criminal investigation if there is a reasonable suspiciion to believe that the person is a suspect of that crime.

Am I on target here? I don't see why you say you have no recourse to the law, as the law is clear. If you were a suspect, they can detain you. If not, they can not detain you simply because of your failure to produce ID.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

I was still sitting around in jail, long after they caught the real suspect. I was in the immediate area of a crime, and they had no idea what the suspect even looked like when they rolled up on me. I don't care if you carry an ID or not. It's really not my problem to be honest.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   

I was still sitting around in jail, long after they caught the real suspect. I was in the immediate area of a crime, and they had no idea what the suspect even looked like when they rolled up on me. I don't care if you carry an ID or not. It's really not my problem to be honest.

It seems to me then that you have a legitimatel basis for a lawsuit.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   

My grandfather, an attorney, didn't think so. My other grandfather, a sheriff in another region, said they would have done the same thing.

edit to remove comment that may not have been nice

[edit on 3-7-2010 by tamusan]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   

My grandfather, an attorney, didn't think so. My other grandfather, a sherrif in another region, said they would have done the same thing.

In spite of the legal ambiguities, I'm sorry that you had to fester in jail.

[edit on 7/3/2010 by this_is_who_we_are]

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join