It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it a glitch in the Matrix?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
WARNING: This may be uninteresting to most of you but it is important to me.

So I’ve been watching parts of the matrix and it occurred to me that perhaps schizophrenics are experiencing a glitch in their matrix. Instead of experiencing nothing out of the ordinary as most people or 99% of the population does we have experiences that are bizarre and out of this world. Of course people have odd experiences but not of this kind.

When I experienced my first episode there was a singularity about it that I cannot explain accurately to those who have not been there. All through my life I’ve experienced these glitches, I’ve had gut instincts about things that were going to happen before they happened. And in my first episode of schizophrenia the events were overshadowed by something more powerful than I can contemplate. I’ve heard (yes, I actually heard it) and seen a footprint in a stream of water flowing through a gutter with no one around, I’ve seen five Indians in a hallucination, I’ve heard what sounds like demons talking to me, I’ve also heard brilliant music in my head and snippets of intellectual conversations that I could not fathom on my own consciously. Where do these things come from?!?!?!? I want to be as intelligent as the people holding the conversations in my head or at least hear more than snippets of their conversations.

What do you think? Do you believe schizophrenic individuals are experiencing some kind of glitch in the matrix? I’m interested to know your opinions.

Thank you for your future thoughtful reply.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Furthermore, this is interesting. www.simulation-argument.com...

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I read this and laughed sorry, but schizophrenia is schizophrenia, there is not conspiracy it is not evidence of some type of higher conscious it is just a very unfortunate and debilitating mental health conduction.

+41 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by kevinunknown
I read this and laughed sorry, but schizophrenia is schizophrenia, there is not conspiracy it is not evidence of some type of higher conscious it is just a very unfortunate and debilitating mental health conduction.

Thanks for that thoughtful reply. (Sarcasm)

+25 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Well, my post isn't going to be quite so negative...in fact, I believe the OP may be onto something...I think "insane" people often appear to be insane because they are seeing and hearing things which most humans on this physical plane cannot...perhaps not a glitch in the matrix...but something is going on...I've read the most enlightening reports by people with conditions like manic depression...I believe through altered states of consciousness, these people are "tuning in" to unseen aspects of reality...those intellectual conversations in your head could simply be a product of your imagination...or they could be two beings in another dimension discussing something...if it's in English, well then that's a bit harder to explain isn't it? All I know is, not all so called insane people are really insane...they're just misunderstood...

[edit on 1/7/10 by CHA0S]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Reading "The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind" by Julian Jaynes provides some startling insights into schizophrenia.

Check it out.

+31 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I think the OP might be on to something and I dont think it's really that funny.

Kevinunknown: did you know that there are no labratory tests to diagnose somebody with schizophrenia? Basically it's doctors discression to produce a diagnosis. Doesn't seem very scientific to me.

And let me say, that if you go to a psychiatrist and repeat any one of the subjects on ATS I would be willing to bet that you will be diagnosed with this disorder and given medication to "fix" it.

How lame. A disease that can't be tested for but can basically lock people in a personal hell.

The more and more i read on mental disorders the more I am keen to think it is just the new age Salem witch trials. That's not to say that we don't have people in tr population that couldn't use some help, but to say that we KNOW what is wrong based on a doctors opinion is kind of loony IMO.

We don't even know where thoughts come from or how the brain works or really what reality even is but we as a population are willing to demean a segment of the population. Just sad.

[edit on 1-7-2010 by GeechQuestInfo]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

All I know is, not all so called insane people are really insane...they're just misunderstood...

It ain't paranormal, it's neural science.

What's the point of randomly guessing and applying random parts of science fiction stories???

It's as unproductive as ancient folks thinking comets brought about bad weather and bad luck.

[edit on 1-7-2010 by john124]

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Do you have any idea the damage these types of threads could do to a person who has diagnosed schizophrenia? A diagnosis of schizophrenia is the mental health equivalent of giving a diagnosis of cancer. There is no conspiracy it is a very serious psychiatric condition and should a venerable person living with schizophrenia read a thread like this or similar to it, it may persuade them to stop taking medication and/or fuel any delusions of grandeur.

+6 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
People live their lives bound by what they accept as correct and true. That's how they define "reality". But what does it mean to be "correct" or "true"? Merely vague concepts ... their "reality" may all be a mirage. Can we consider them to simply be living in their own world, shaped by their beliefs?
We humans, cling to all we know and understand, and label "reality" in such a manner, that it fits our understanding. So just as Gautama Buddha said: Nothing exists.

There was once in a village, a man who predicted a drought would came. Not that only drought would come, but that after it is gone, those who drink water from the river will go mad. But nobody listened to him, except a man who made some water supplies. The drought came, and people died. After 2 weeks, the drought was gone, but those who drank water from the river, got mad. The only person that hadn't gone mad was the man who prepared for the drought. As he was the only sane person in the village, he was considered by the others to be "mad" since he was the only one acting strange. So, the man trying to "fit" in the society and not be an outsider, drank some water from the river and soon enough he became "normal" as the others.

Theory: Reality is created by the very fact of knowing.
[edit on 1-7-2010 by xspinx]

[edit on 1-7-2010 by xspinx]

+16 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by kevinunknown

Do you have any idea the damage these types of threads could do to a person who has diagnosed schizophrenia?
And do you have any idea how damaging it is for society as a whole to start diagnosing this and that, when we don't even understand what we are diagnosing? Sure, you may think they are insane this thread could just make them more insane...but you didn't think this thread might actually give them their sanity back by letting them know they might NOT actually be insane, and they might be able to bring some form of control into their life by better understanding what's happening to them?!? You're so quick to claim they're insane...well, I claim you're insane for making such stupid proclamations...did you ever consider people like you are actually the ones making people insane by constantly telling them they have a problem?

Here's a relevant post I made just earlier today actually:

Originally posted by CHA0S
There is no one single way a human mind "should function"...there is no one single right way a person "should be thinking"...there is no one single model of what sanity is...we can try to say a brain "should function like this"...or a person "should be thinking like that"...or anyone who thinks like this is sane and anyone outside of that box is insane...but all we're doing is slapping labels on things we don't understand and know essentially nothing about...

Every single person on this Earth has a slightly different brain, and it functions slightly different, therefore they think slightly different to everyone else on the planet. Our ancestors thought differently to us, and future generations will think differently to us. They'll probably look back at us and consider us all highly insane delusional beings...my point is, you can't try to quantify and form rules around something so dynamic and little understood, let alone try to fix these so called "mental problems" via "professional" help...

Since when did deep thinkers become the crazy people?

[edit on 1/7/10 by CHA0S]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I actually wish those stinking-turds of films had never been stolen from comics.

The movies are average at best and have aged terribly, however this isn't (strictly) a movie-critique post.

Do you have any idea the damage these types of threads could do to a person who has diagnosed schizophrenia? A diagnosis of schizophrenia is the mental health equivalent of giving a diagnosis of cancer. There is no conspiracy it is a very serious psychiatric condition and should a venerable person living with schizophrenia read a thread like this or similar to it, it may persuade them to stop taking medication and/or fuel any delusions of grandeur.

Aside from that astute observation, what about the damage it's done to the conspiracy-community? So many bozos are cod-philosophising some really spurious junk, based on some hideous christian/Alice In Wonderland metaphor, because it's easy and presented in an easily digestible format, that doesn't require much real thinking, just a regurgitation of Keanu Reeves and Laurence Fishburnes' stilted "dialogue".

Alternately present some actual research into whether the "Matrix" actually exists, how it's being perpetuated, who's running it etc etc etc - you know, maybe try and do some research on the technology that might be involved and how to usurp it... or, find another subject and research and present that.

Just please don't lazily assume that Hollyweird is presenting us with truth and then recycle it as original content when it's little more than quoting script.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   

this poster makes a valid claim.

should we be fanning the flames of his insanity?? dont forget just because you think you can fly and you jump off a bridge doesnt mean your going to fly... we live in a world governed by certain laws. to ignore these fundamental laws can only invite disaster.

dont get me wrong fantasy is a nice holiday but you cant live in it.

if something is detrimental to your quality of life its bad from your relative perspective. so if the OP's quality of life is better with the mental condition then good for them but it is effecting them negatively then i would suggest doing something to change that.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
CHAOS:

I’ll tell you what, when you start treating people who have sliced there face, arms and bodies with razor blade because they thought that if they had no skin the voices would stop only to find out this hasn’t worked and then spent the best part of a month on suicide watch in a constant emotional state, then tell me it’s a “glitch in the matrix”.

I have seen firsthand what this horrible condition does to people, if you had schizophrenia with awareness you would be begging to doctor to give you the drugs.

[edit on 1-7-2010 by kevinunknown]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I have always wondered if schizophrenics are really just caught between dimensions or something like that. Maybe they really are on to something and really do know things, and I think it is sad they are just called crazy and given meds to act like a normal zombie. So maybe they were the ones let in on the secrets of the universe, and everyone just labels them as insane.

maybe everyone one else has the glitch in the matrix and y'all were right all along.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by john124
reply to post by CHA0S

All I know is, not all so called insane people are really insane...they're just misunderstood...

It ain't paranormal, it's neural science.

What's the point of randomly guessing and applying random parts of science fiction stories???

It's as unproductive as ancient folks thinking comets brought about bad weather and bad luck.

[edit on 1-7-2010 by john124]

Are you one of the guys that believes the new psychiatric disorder of eating healthy food is just a mental disorder? Just curious?

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   

CHAOS:

I’ll tell you what, when you start treating people who have sliced there face, arms and bodies with razor blade because they thought that if they had no skin the voices would stop only to find out this hasn’t worked and then spent the best part of a month on suicide watch in a constant emotional state, then tell me it’s a “glitch in the matrix”.

I have seen firsthand what this horrible condition does to people, if you had schizophrenia with awareness you would be begging to doctor to give you the drugs.

[edit on 1-7-2010 by kevinunknown]

Then why do you laugh at them and then try to put a serious note on everything?

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by LightofLiberty

I am not laughing at them I am laughing at the stupidity of this thread.

+9 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   

reply to post by LightofLiberty

I am not laughing at them I am laughing at the stupidity of this thread.

Than quit reading it and making comments.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join