It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can the light saber be made?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I suppose that in theory it is possible, however technology does not really allow for it currently. I'd love it if it did however. The problem with a lightsaber is that it would have to be able to cut through practically anything, save for another lightsaber and with the Revenge of the Sith movie, one other melee weapon, whilst still being able to be light and be turned on and off.

geeksofdoom.com... paign=Feed%3A+geeksofdoom+%28Geeks+of+Doom%29

That is a link to something I saw on TV once. You might want to look into it.

search.barnesandnoble.com...

That book is also interesting as well.

Hope I was of some assistance.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by tetris11
The most worrying part of a working lightsaber is the fact that the blade will be virtually weightless.
This would throw the balance off the saber quite a bit and it would be pretty hard to do the spins that you see in the films.

I don't think it would throw off the balance once you got used to it.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
What about this...

What if you ejected some sort of control wire when you turned it on? In that way you would be able to control its length...

Actually, you're getting warm... I read a research paper in the late 90's about a project at NASA where a team was trying to develop something to use as a cutting torch for off world and repair/emergency applications. It certainly wasn't anything they were trying to make handheld, but one can imagine it could have been. The tool had a telescoped anode that would extend when the device was turned on, the cathode remaining in the base. As the anode extended out a jet of vapor was emitted through holes in the telescoping rod, and an electric arc was struck. I believe the vapor was Argon, I know it was one of the noble elements. The vapor phase change combined with the surrounding temperature created a stable, superconductive arc that required very little energy to maintain. Once the arc came in contact with object the current draw would soar, but they said it was still far more efficient than traditional techniques.

The weakness of the system was the dependence on Argon. They claimed they wouldn't need much to maintain the arc, as they planned a recapture system that could recycle the energized Argon. But once it began to cut something, it'd be losing quite a bit. They mentioned plans to switch to Helium or another more available (off world) noble element once they got the system working, something about the heavier Argon that made earth bound tests easier.

The paper concluded by saying they had managed to create a stable (non-superconductive) arc in the lab, and had cut various samples. I remember being impressed, the arc was something like a foot long, and they had cut through thick terrestrial rock samples and various metals. They were struggling with issues related to the anode/cathode being consumed by the arc; they had to replace them after each test. They hoped to test in space or in a better environment that would let them see if when the anode/cathode were in a superconductive state the issue would disappear. Perhaps they weren't able to surmount those issues, or lost funding. I heard no more about it.

John

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
this should make you very happy, I know its a little late.

Yes they can be made, because they already have.

www.popsci.com...

Pajjikor

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
all jokes aside, would it be possible to put a mirror on the end of the saber? that would regulate the distance of the blade, however if this blade has the ability to cut through nearly anything then finding a compound strong enough to resist this burning ability would be astronomically hard. another flaw to this idea would be that the blade would not be able to cut anything anywhere on the balde as a portion of it would be taken up by the contraption holding the mirrior (provided you could find such a sturdy mirror as mentioned above),

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
This is old news. I have already made 5 of these things. They are collecting dust next to my hover speeder.

Look all you have to do is gather some Higgs Boson to make a mini black hole so that the light extents 4 feet from the source then bends back in on itself. Come on don't you know thats why they built the LHC???

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Hmmm i spose you could use a center rod of a very strong Black alloy that absorbs any light that hits it... Then at the end you have a 100 percent perfect mirror that refelects the laser back, sort of like a laser tube thats open... it could be Qswitched to keep the power. Not sure what the material is that can absorb photons like a fat man absorbs candy, but i know it exists...

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 06:30 AM
link   
To begin, this is my first post on this site, and I'd like to begin by letting you all know that what I am about to tell you is completely and originally from me myself and nobody else brought me these conclusions.
For starters a lightsaber's beam is not weightless. a lightsaber's beam has a core like the sun's just with length. think of it like a solar dust collector/compressor and get over the whole "light" thing please everybody, get past the useless, and you will find the usefull. it is bright and may give off light but it is not constructed of it. the core must be what we use to acumulate solar dust and it must have a nice little power supply. It's not the chosen weapon of the jedi because it's different. it's their chosen weapon because their main weapon is sun dust. solar dust all around us in the air, the heatable factors in the air. I'll leave it at that untill I get some responses. try to think of the light saber as a sun sword. I can make one with enough fundage.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Some Kind of Nature

Hey Bro. I see you're on a search for the saber. I'll let you know right now, you aren't gona get a "light saber" using false light as you're blade. If you really want to know how to make a light saber I can tell you seeing as this information is accessible by almost any man. I don't know how old you are but by the looks of your last post I would say you're running in circles with a limited box, no offense intended. I hope the information that I am about to share with you is enough for you to forgive me Brother.
check it out, the jedi are always controlling air right?, push, lightning or choke right? have you ever thought about how? ok well basically what I'm getting at is that the "light saber" utilizes the jedi's greatest weapon, Solar or Star Dust. the stuff that's heating you, even now. Sure George Lucas missed some defining factors of this beautifl, deadly, usefull tool, but it's no excuse for us to run around incomplete over it. the "light" saber should really be called the sun or dust blade or sword because the blade isn't weightless it indeed has mass. havn't you seen the duels? even George Lucas knows they aren't light beams.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I am guessing if you could project and conceal a ray of plasma, then it could work ?? 0_o

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 05:08 AM
link   
If they ever work out how to make them I;ll put my order in straight away

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I'm seeing a lot of 'IF' 'MAYBE' and 'TRY TO BUILD A LIGHT SABER'

that's not the way it works, there is no try only do or do not. You just need to make the handle and the force will do the rest.

By the way I have seen one of those plasma knives somebody linked to cut open a pregnant sheep and it was ******* wierd, they cut through flesh like BUTTER but there is no blood. In this case the sheeps stomach was cut open to reveal the internal organs and it was seriously bizarre watching that happen without a drop of blood.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   
its never going to happen it just one of those thing you have to accept the light saber works like a lazer sword and if you had done your home work you would know that light travels in a straight line and would keep on going intill it hits an object and it might bounce of but it will be alot less powerful so in real life the light saber is a massive lazer cannon. To make the light saber work you would need to maniplate the light molecouls which is not possible because light is not made of molecouls its a ray so that rules out minipulation or anything else........

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Warhappy

not without a stopper at the end. it wouldn't be like star wars.

more like a wire blade.

they already have a plasma scalpel, which is more doctor who than star wars; kind of makes it better. haha

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Personally i prefer the "beam katana" from the game No More Heroes. Here check it out.
levelselect.co.uk...

It has a emitter and receiver, therefore much easier to make since the whole light looping problem is averted. Also, it could function more like an electrolaser, using a laser to ionise the air, then pass a powerful current through it to heat it to plasma and contain it as a "blade".

Whether or not a strong repulsion is felt is debatable, however it could still be deadly. However it can be seen that without some more advanced stuff, this is more of a slicing weapon rather than a stabbing one.

Oh and also a while ago i posted this phenomena they've discover where light acts solid, and repels other light, but i was ignored. If you want to read up look up solid light in google.

[edit on 24-4-2010 by iealchemist]

[edit on 24-4-2010 by iealchemist]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Well if you really wanted to make a light saber you would first need to have a high concentration of a type of focusing cyristal and Diatium power cell which doesnt exist at this time.
But if you were to try you could subsitute the unstable light with plasma and a magnetic feild to controll it.Thought if you used strait unheated pladme it would bounce off instead of cut through. So if you do supsitute plasma in and high enrgy light particals out then good luck superheating it and cuting slowly and burning, senging, and cumbusting your foe.
To say theleast go for an R2-D2 and C3PO first.
Good luck.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
No making a real lightsaber is currently impossible

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
If a "light saber" was ever created, it would have to have some sort of mirror to reflect the energy (presumably plasma) back towards the hilt, without this, the beam would go on forever. My guess is that the beam would be invisible, like an IR beam or something. It could also be a very high-powered laser, but we are talking 100+ trillion watt lasers, which is impossible for todays technology, as a 1 trillion watt laser takes up an entire building. So for today's tech, it is impossible, but maybe one day the sci-fi Jedi weapon of choice will become a reality

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by N1ghtCr4wl3r

No there would be no reflecing mirror but a magnetic feild and superheated plasma witch wouldnt swish through your foe but slowly, painfuly, and agonizingly burn as soon as it would hit them. But by the time you dicided to trick them into a 40ft by 40ft lab and have them stand on the big red X on the floor they would probebly run. Curently a light saber is not passible as a feet of engenering you can build C3PO and R2D2 or even Luke's robo arm and Anikin's Vader suit.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyIvan
is it possible...

of coures it is along time ago in a galaxy far far away

yeah, i doubt that!!

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join