It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's the point?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I'll start by saying this:

I'm a young guy. Just graduated with my B.S. in engineering about to start a job that pays more money than I have ever contemplated having. I love my family. I love my friends. Day to day I am happy and have a lot to look forward too. I am well off.

But...what is the point?

I've been absorbing all of the information that the internet has to offer from many sources for years now. The only conclusion that I can make about the world/humanity/us is that its all going to hell and never coming back.

Capitalism - killing itself in stages

Religion - putting people into an ignorant trance

Hunger/Disease - expanding faster than public debt

Debt - self imposed life sentences

Government - big business with a pretty "public well-being" sticker on its forehead

First world countries - glutinous pigs

Third world countries - how can they ever help themselves?

Energy - humanity's worst addiction, with no intervention large enough in sight

Public Health - How can we resist with all those pretty McD's ads and comfy chairs

Television and MSM - turn it off now or you'll be sorry

The future - what future?

All this, and I have an eerie feeling that one day people with wake up and it will be GENERATIONS too late to do anything. These systems mankind has raised around itself, in a effort to control the chaos of this world, are certainly not in our best interests. Man's nature is being squished out of existence by a lifestyle that men before me have determined is the "right" way. A lifestyle that has gone way out of hand.

I am TERRIFIED of having children because I have no confidence that the world will bring them an opportunity for true happiness.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   
well my advice to you is

Use that great education you have
to change things for the better.
You can make a difference
even 1 man or woman !!!!

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by wi1shire

You're an engineer. Why don't you engineer a solution?

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Just smile about everything you read, see and hear, and about everything you do.

If it doesn't make you smile. Don't do it.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I'm almost like you in that i don't wanna have kid's because of the current situation's plaguing mankind ( war's , poverty , famine , food shortages , etc etc ) and i think to myself what's the point anyway's right .

If i was more certain but i ain't but oh well i guess ....

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Live cheap, make lots of money and get your own land outside of any metro. Stock up and buckle up

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by sumgai

Let me make something clear. Off topic but relevant none-the-less.

There exists in the public consciousness the notion that one idea can change the world. 50-100 years ago, before high technology and the digital age, this was true. For the most part nowadays, one single person cannot break through the complexity of current technology. More and more, it takes research groups years of work and thousands in funding to make progress. The hybrid car that may be sitting in your driveway has thousands of ideas from hundreds of smart people to make it work.

I'll tell you what. Every day I try to think of new things, dream up new ways of solving a problem. The second I have that great idea I'm gonna run with it, believe you me!

The point of my thread is that it is too late, and that the world and its people have a strong momentum in the direction of self destruction.

All I want to know what keeps all of you sane.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by midnightbrigade

Amen to that!

I already know that the right life is not the life with the big house, the bigger TV, and the BIGGEST car.

Apartment living or bust! That will be my life for a while.

About separation from population - Once the lights go out, the grid goes cold, and the food goes bad, people will do anything to survive. I can foresee some folks thinking they avoided the worst of a catastrophe, then a group comes though the woods and kills them all just for the flashlights they have.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by wi1shire

All this, and I have an eerie feeling that one day people with wake up and it will be GENERATIONS too late to do anything.

Always go with your gut instinct.
Even if the US falls you may still have a marketable skill.
Continue to fight till the last.
And if you were wrong about wasting time working and living, at least you lived.
Carry on with the plan of the day.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
i know just how you feel, and I will tell you this...
the weight of the world is no one's to bear.

and of the point? there is none, you are hereby free from the consideration, because there is nothing to consider, nothing to lament for not having found or known.

zen is in the breath, it is through the breath we achieve and maintain peace.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Hi wi1, Great thread. There will and has always been termoil in this world
Us older people had kids while wars were being enacted also Natural events like Storms Earthquakes have killed many. Also you are still young
The time for kids will come. Looking for answers Online will leed to more questions, Your mother took the risk, And i'm sure she is proud,

Regards, robbo.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 02:06 AM
link   
I know exactly how you feel OP, I am currently working part time and will be going to university in September. But as you said..."whats the point"...To tell you the truth sometimes I wish the NWO would begin the world depopulation and the population would rebel!! It would be much better than doing useless administrative work!

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   
When young and earning big bucks I said to myself /I nothing but a prostitute.
I buckled up my backpack and roamed the Earth.
Now Iam earning small bucks, and Iam certainly a prostitute.
Search your heart you will die like billions before ye.
Just find your true you.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   

"The world is like a ride in an amusement park and when we choose to go on it we think it's real, because that's how powerful our minds are. And it goes up and down and round and round, it has thrills and chills and its very brightly colored and very loud, and it's fun - for a while.

Some people have been on the ride for a long time and after a while they begin to question: Is this real, or is it just a ride? But some people have remembered, and they come back to us and they say. "Hey, don't worry and don't be afraid -- ever. Because this is just a ride."

And we *kill* those people. "Shut him up! I've got a lot invested in this ride! Look at my furrows of worry! look at my big bank account! Look at my family... This has to be real!"

But it's just a ride.

But we always kill those good guys who try to tell us that, and we let the demons run amok. But it doesnt matter, because: it's just a ride. And we can change it any time we want.

All we need is the choice.

No effort, no work, no job, no savings or money - just a choice - right now - between fear & love.

The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your doors, buy guns and and close yourself off. The eyes of love, instead, see all of us as one.

Here's what we can do to change the world to a better ride right now. Take all the money we spend on weapons and defence every year and instead spend it feeding, clothing and educating the poor of the world, which it would many times over, not one human being excluded and we can explore space together,

both inner and outer,

Forever.

In peace.

-Bill Hicks

[edit on 7/1/10 by silent thunder]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Qi Maker

Thank you so much for your comments.

I am trying to live my life towards the mindset you have. I'm sure this outlook comes from a long list of personal experiences and not a sudden "duh" moment, but I guess I am impatient. A weakness of mine.

I would guess that my flaw is in asking the big questions at all. What is the point in the asking?

Who knows these things...

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   
This:

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   

you are so very welcome. *tips hat*

[edit on 1-7-2010 by Qi Maker]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 02:28 AM
link   
...get angry with it all...

...get saddened by it all...

...get happy and excited with it all...

...agree with it...disagree with it...support it...fight it...

...but don't EVER get apathetic about it.

No matter what may be happening around you or to you or to those you care about...no matter what place we find ourselves in...Apathy is the worst place in the world to live...

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by alien

"Our planet is facing the greatest problems it's ever faced -- ever. So whatever you do, don't be bored. This is absolutely the most exciting time we could have possibly hoped to be alive. And things are just starting."
-Waking Life

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by alien

that's the truth

new topics

top topics

join