It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds shut down nine websites in movie piracy crackdown

page: 27
<< 24  25  26   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I guess they don't realize that these streamed movies actually make them money. You see a movie, you like it, no longer want to watch in crappy quality (some if not most of them) and go out and buy it.

There are several movies I went out and bought simply because I saw them on the internet and liked them so much. I probably would have never taken the time to watch them otherwise therefore would have never bought them and never known that I liked them enough to buy them.

Its sad they can't see the bright side to this.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Ok, have to: this is a good one!
From the IIPA (INternational Intellectual Property Alliance, basically tahts IRAA, MPAA and BSA) on indonesia:
www.iipa.com...

First for all those that said "If you want free stuff, go get the free stuff, if you want to give stuff away for free, do so"
The IPPA begs to differ:

While IIPA has no issue with one of the stated goals of the circular, namely, “reducing software copyright violation,” the Indonesian government’s policy as indicated in the circular letter instead simply weakens the software industry and undermines its long-term competitiveness by creating an artificial preference for companies offering open source software and related services, even as it denies many legitimate companies access to the government market. Rather than fostering a system that will allow users to benefit from the best solution available in the market, irrespective of the development model, it encourages a mindset that does not give due consideration to the value to intellectual creations. As such, it fails to build respect for intellectual property rights and also limits the ability of government or public-sector customers (e.g., State-owned enterprise) to choose the best solutions to meet the needs of their organizations and the Indonesian people. It also amounts to a significant market access barrier for the software industry.

Buhuuuu... If you use free stuff we cant sell you stuff! (Indonesia wants to switch to free OS software to reduce costs. Cant let them do that, can we???

And these two:

Camcording Piracy: Camcording piracy remains a problem in Indonesia, aggravated by the absence of anti-camcording legislation. Illegal camcording of major U.S. movies occurs right off the screen by professional camcorder pirates, who use video cameras to illicitly copy a movie during exhibition in a movie theatre.

Industry reports that a new Cyber Law was enacted (“Law of The Republic of Indonesia Concerning Electronic Information And Transactions”) which could be helpful in combating unauthorized use of copyright materials in the online space. Article 25 of the Cyber Law provides protection for copyrighted works in electronic formats. Unfortunately, the acts of communicating or making available copyright materials are not included in the “Prohibited Acts” (Articles 27 through 37). These acts should be added as expressly prohibited. While generally, ISPs are cooperating with right holders, the Ministry of Communication and Information needs to devise a strategy to deal with growing Internet piracy in 2010, including mechanisms to ensure removal of infringing content and dealing with illegal P2P file sharing.

"unfortunately these two illegal activities aren't illegal." ...
wait, what???

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I have yet to hear of anyone who pirates music because the record label screws the artist sending that same artist money for their creation.

The issue isn't about some faceless corporation. You're actually screwing over a whole host of people, from stockholders, to graphic artists, to the person working in a factory pumping out DVDs, the trucker, the shop owner who sells retail. . .

Regardless of the justification you use (it's easy, movies are expensive, you're paying them a compliment, etc.) -- the question is whether stealing is ever justified?

We're not talking about people stealing food to keep their children alive, we're talking about entertainment here, a freakin' luxury item.

And along those lines, is it okay for me to point a gun at my doctor and insist that he treat me for free because of how utterly screwed up our health care situation has become?

As someone who makes their living from their creativity, people who steal intellectual property suck.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Durrilll

i would also like to point out to the person talking about being jealous of bill gates. he stole the operating system he calls windows from apple and steve jobs. he has admitted as much on numerous occasions. matter of fact, all successful companies did something illegal early on to be able to survive or to flourish. it is just how it is. but it is real funny how all the people who got rich thru dis-honest means use their money to block others from perpetuating the same theivery they used. hypocrisy alive an well in america.to be successful you just have to find a smarter newer way of thieving from them as well.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Most tv shows that are on the terrestrial channles in Britain are free to view online anyway on thier respective websites such as BBC Iplayer, 4OD, 5 On Demand and itv player, other than that yeh if its been aired on telly then you should be able to watch it online for free simple as that
(if its on a freeview channel)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by letscit

i would also like to point out to the person talking about being jealous of bill gates. he stole the operating system he calls windows from apple and steve jobs. he has admitted as much on numerous occasions. matter of fact, all successful companies did something illegal early on to be able to survive or to flourish. it is just how it is. but it is real funny how all the people who got rich thru dis-honest means use their money to block others from perpetuating the same theivery they used. hypocrisy alive an well in america.to be successful you just have to find a smarter newer way of thieving from them as well.

Please provide proof to me that all successful companies have done illegal activities to survive and flourish.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
NINE ?!

Good job, guys... you've only got 900,000 or so left to shutdown.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Does anyone know if "Watchmovies-tonight.com" was included in this shutdown? I can't bring it up anymore since yesterday.

posted on Nov, 2 2023 @ 03:53 PM
link   
The concept that has been seriously beat to death here is the "denial of profit".
it's true that a group or person who has created something should be allowed to make a profit. Even when that profit is absurdly grotesque. Ie: movies making over a billion dollars.

Now lets look at another profiting group. Big pharma.
About a decade ago, maybe 8 years or so big pharma found a cure for diabetes (or so it is rumored). Now it was a novel cure that came out of the enzymes of a boar. Since this is ATS, lets pretend that this is true. So along comes this cure for something that many many people are suffering from each day. Of course, this cure will result in a loss of profit for these pharma companies. So they shelve the cure. Keep things going as it is, keep people enslaved to their drugs, keep making the profit.

At what point does the "right to profit" supersede the right of people to enjoy a cure? Now how does this apply to copyright? well when these huge companies create or find a process that cures a disease they "copyright" the sequence. So a competitor that maybe comes up with a similar or an identical process is blocked from the release by copyright. This is beyond criminal, it it is allowed becasue those are the rules of the day. You can bet, given several laws of averages, that diabetes is not the only disease that has a cure. Imagine all of the ideas, the devices and the progress that is blocked by "copyright". At some point, the "right to profit" must be shelved so that humanity can progress.

edit on 2-11-2023 by v3exceed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2023 @ 12:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: smirkley
Hey

If the movie catches my attention enough, I go to the big screen and see it, 3d if possible

Trust me, that is a whole lot better than a torrent or pirate movie on my little pc monitor

Who is kidding who.
Cracking down on movie piracy is a continuous effort by authorities to protect intellectual property rights. Shutting down websites involved in illegal distribution of copyrighted content is one of the strategies employed to combat piracy. Actions like these are usually carried out by law enforcement agencies in collaboration with copyright holders.

The closure of such websites is intended to curtail the unauthorized distribution of movies and other copyrighted materials, aiming to prevent financial losses for the film industry and uphold copyright laws. Additionally, these actions serve as a deterrent to discourage individuals from engaging in or supporting piracy.

Efforts to combat piracy often involve identifying and targeting websites that facilitate the illegal sharing and distribution of copyrighted content, leading to legal actions such as takedowns, domain seizures, or legal proceedings against the operators of these platforms.

posted on Dec, 21 2023 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhafiz
Meh, some countries legally allow personal use file sharing, like Poland, Spain and Switzerland. Set up a torrent site there and they won't shut you down, especially since torrents are not the copyrighted material.

Then you have situations like mine, we didn't have a movie theater where I live until 2007 or 2008. To this day there are only 2 screens. Right now they are screening Wonka and some movie about Leonel Messi. Next up is Aquaman and Migration. I can wait for any of those to be on cable. Personally I would rather go see Rebel Moon or Silent Night but I'm willing to bet they won't screen either of those. So let's say I download them, probably American Fiction as well, the movie industry isn't losing any money because they never gave me the chance to give them my money.

I'm also not interested in owning a copy of any movie, which is why I don't buy physical or even digital versions of things, again another example of that industry not giving me a chance to pay them for what I want.

edit on 21-12-2023 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 24  25  26   >>

join