It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds shut down nine websites in movie piracy crackdown

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flighty
I think the current model of all new release movies at the cinema and on DVD costing the same no matter how much the actual production/movie cost to make has to go.

When a small indie movie that only cost half a million to make ends up making 200M you know someone has been ripped off big time. The end users of course.

No wonder people download them. And there is no way movies like that are losing money when it cost next to nothing to make them to begin with.

Most new movies cost the same, no matter if they cost 300 million to make, or 50 million. Sure, there are some that are cheaper, but look at is what is included in the physical packaging and the quality of materials.

... So people are just supposed to produce movies to break even? Maybe you should get in government and place controls over private businesses and give them caps on their profits!

If a small movie only cost $1 million to make and they end up earning 100 gajillion dollars, how is that their fault and how does that entitle people to steal from them?

You're obviously the kind of person that would get insanely jealous and start feeling entitled if your neighbor won the 300 million dollar lotto.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by baddmove
reply to post by hounddoghowlie

theater prices where i live...

popcorn..small..3.50$ med..4.50$..large..7.50$

hotdog...5.50$..stale bun and really small

bon bons..5.50$ a box...

Large soda..8.50$..

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by hounddoghowlie
reply to post by debunky

if you do not remove the DMR and paid for its not theft, if you downloaded
and uploaded ie. ( seeding) in order to distribute said content, thats theft and copyright infringement, plain and simple, you are taking someone elses product and or work and that is steeling. you can say that you are doing what ever you want to call it, giving it away or sticking it to the movie industry, or making money off of it, you are still steeling and you know it, if you are doing these things.
next i'd be carefull about what i admitted to on some of these sites, never know who you are talking to or who might be watching. hell for that matter you dont know that someone might copy your post and foward to the proper authorities, and having a nice neat orderly hard drive sure would help them if they come after you.

all that being said, the is the adress of a movie theater here in pensacola, got pretty good deals and you can drink there too.
www.silverscreentheatre.com/

... and if i bought a toaster with a built in alarm clock and removed the alarmclock would it be theft too...?

And thanks for the warning.
In case you didnt notice I offered you (or anybody else) any information possibly necessary to report me to the proper authorities. I confessed stealing. You just caught a thief. And you are going to let me get away with a "dont tell everybody"? Is that the way you react if you witness somebody breaking in into your neigbours house?

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by RestingInPieces

bon bons..5.50$ a box...

Large soda..8.50$..

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Seriously - - what part of ILLEGAL - - do you not understand?

Where did all this Self-Entitlement come from?

Movies are a product. A product is manufacture to sell for a profit.

Its the American way. Are you all waving your flags and spouting the Constitution now?

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by debunky

reply to post by debunky

... and if i bought a toaster with a built in alarm clock and removed the alarmclock would it be theft too...?

And thanks for the warning.
In case you didnt notice I offered you (or anybody else) any information possibly necessary to report me to the proper authorities. I confessed stealing. You just caught a thief. And you are going to let me get away with a "dont tell everybody"? Is that the way you react if you witness somebody breaking in into your neigbours house?

did the toaster company claim rights to clock, did you download any content of said clock, did you steel the clock and not pay any thing for it, if the answer is yes to any of the above you sir/ mam you are a thief.
and as far as catching a thief, you admitted to some thing that i have only your word for. i have no way of knowing if you were blowing smoke or what. i didnt see you downloading any content,but now at your insitance
i have copied every post that has happened between you and me, if you would be so kind as to u2u your real name ,address, city , state and or country, sdln ,ssn and phone # also cell #
and any other info that will help id you other than debunky, and ip address you use for this site, i will be glad to pass it along to the proper authorities and get a thief off the net.i doubt that you will be truthfull about any info you give me so lets now set up a code word for a call to you to verify this info. i saw you go through the window of my neighber house, now your gonna get it
but rest assured that if you download as much as you say you do, your ip or ips are on a list some where and when the time comes for the trials to begain and they can id you, its bye bye thief

theft is theft, no matter how small or how you want spin it
its plain and simple
oh and i might add for rights on clock, that it was done for profit of a design

[edit on 1-7-2010 by hounddoghowlie]

[edit on 1-7-2010 by hounddoghowlie]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Large soda..8.50$..

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   

First of all, the end consumer pays for everything. Didn't you know the big corporations make sure of that? Where it costs them pennies on the dollar, they charge us at minimum 100 times what it cost them.

Most of the work done is done by machines. There would be very little of the human factor involved. What human factor is involved, corporations do their dang best to pile two or three jobs on one person instead of hiring the correct number of people to do all the jobs that need to be done. I'm sure they cut more than one corner to limit their overhead to create a profit.

I don't see how insurance fraud calculates into this. I wish companies would pay workman's comp instead of hiring lawyers to get out of it. Why do you think Edgar Snyder law firm and his commercials and others like him are around?

You pulled a million out of thin air? You mean a million regular movie goers who are going to go whether the movie is free online or not? You mean a million people who are not going to the theater in the first place?

If a poll was taken, I would guess most of the people who would watch the movie free online:

1) Would not go to the theater in the first place

2) Would have less than or close to maybe 50/50 chance of renting it at a local rental place

3) May like the movie so well, that they decide to buy it so they have a decant copy to watch. Which makes the movie more money.

There may emerge a sub-set of people who decide to watch the movie online first, and then decide if they want to see it at the theater. There are just some movies you need to see at the theater, but over half the time you don't know which ones until you already see it. I wonder how many people after renting a movies say ah dang, I wish I saw that at the theater. There are a couple of movies I said that about.

Awhile back before any of this was available, there was a movie I had a choice to see or do something else, but decided decided to do something else instead. After renting it, I regretted not seeing it at the theater. I couldn't change it. Would a free movie site like the ones that are being targeted have changed my mind? Yes, I would have gone and seen the movie at the theater.

Also you need to factor in the economy. The more people get laid off and loose their jobs, the less people are going to go to the theater. The more choosy they are going to be about which movie they will see.

Eventually things will change, and hopefully a common ground will be found like was in the case of Nasper. Laws are not set in stone, and do change. People will do what is against the law when the law is extremely unpopular, or personal finances are involved. Not to say it is right, but it will happen. Just look at the prohibition era when alcohol was illegal. Heck, even government officials went to the "speak easies" to drink. More recently how many bought cigarettes online to cut out the out outrageous sales tax states put on tobacco. I wonder how many people in government are watching movies from these sites right now? Hmmmm, makes you wonder, doesn't it?

If you want to start to make people obey the laws that are on the books now, why don't we start with the president, his cabinet, the senate, house, and work our way down from there.

[edit on 1-7-2010 by Mystery_Lady]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Seriously, I am just appalled that people here on ATS allow them selves to be swindled by concession stand prices.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm
Seriously, I am just appalled that people here on ATS allow them selves to be swindled by concession stand prices.

Hubby made me buy a large pop when I didn't want to. It only had one free refill. Grrrrr. A small popcorn was over $5, and a large was over $7. But they did have $1 large pop and popcorn on Tuesday they advertised. It didn't help me then. Instead of buying pop and popcorn for everyone, my family was agreeable to go out and eat afterwards, which in the end cost less.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Seriously - - I am appalled at the excuses for theft.

"Because I think they charge too much - - it makes it OK for me to steal"

Really?!?!?

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   

reply to post by hippomchippo

there you go and start to twist it just like everybody else that wants to justify theft.

what a dvd i didnt know you could rip data off of those, please dont try to inslut me. who pays for the stamping machine to make the dvd, who pays for the dvd bunners to make the dvd, who pays the person to set up the bunners and load them, who pays the person to put them in the jewel case, who pays for the printing of the labels, who pays for the packing of case to be sent to net flicks, i could go and on. not every thing is a lights out operation. there still is a human factor and people need to get paid.

next i wish i had links, i know that fox, mgm and others studios own threaters, and i would think it safe to say have investment in other chains too.

lets just compare it to insurance fraud, people use to say that was a crime where no one got hurt, but it cost the company, and the cost gets passed down. companies are tring to make money not lose it, so they pass the cost down the line, which in turn ends with me the movie goer

now say some thief has downloaded 50 movies, and just give it a price of say 6.50 a ticket. 50x6.50=325.00. what would a million be.325 million is that a petty number, thats not chump change. and thats just the lowest that i've seen tickets in the past year.
and i'm sure there are lots of thieves out there who have way more than 50 on their hard drive. theft is theft plain and simple. whats the value of petty theft and grand theft. whats the difference in jail time, and money when it come time to pay up.

you can try to justify it all you want it is still against the law and until said law is done away with, all those who download are thieves

You've not proven anything, explain to me simply how pirating movies contributes to movie ticket price increase, when they are independently run by seperate entities? Call us thieves all you like, I'll call you a slave of the system and a follower of unjust laws.

[edit on 2-7-2010 by hippomchippo]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Seriously - - I am appalled at the excuses for theft.

"Because I think they charge too much - - it makes it OK for me to steal"

Really?!?!?

Would you feel morally wrong if you managed to steal some money from the CEO of goldman sachs?
Same deal, different people.
There is no victim in this crime.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Well, see, I'm responsible for getting my nephews hooked on Iron Man.

I have been an Iron Man fan since his very first appearance in Marvel Comics, back in the 1960s. I mowed lawns to make money to buy Iron Man comics. I bought the static Iron Man plastic figure by Marx Toys (now a collectors item), and I bought Iron Man posters and toys all through the 70s and 80s and 90s, right up to the present.

When my nephews came to visit a couple of years ago, they asked me about this weird and yet very cool collection of stuff, and I gave them a complete history of Iron Man, his arsenal of suits, his arch-enemies, his battles, and even his ultimate destruction of about half the Marvel superheroes in the Civil War (which is years down the road in the cinema).

The kids were hooked.

So, I was obligated to take them to see both Iron Man and the sequel. I'm not a big movie-goer, otherwise, although I'm fascinated with movie-making and production back stories.

— Doc Velocity

XL5

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Heres the problem, we have technology and will not let it be taken away. I bet if we had a way to tap another dimension full of never ending energy supplies and some oil guys lost money, they would make it against the law to tap this energy. People would still defend the oil men who risk their lives/health to "create" gas.

Imagine, one day some one makes a device thats hooked to your toilet and converts "used food" into "copied" food and other elements and devices including gold, diamonds and even cars. You can also put other waste into it as well and could filter water to its untouched natural state. It could put almost everybody out of work, yet, if it were made illegal since we can survive like we have without it, would poeple NOT use it? Would any one pay for a meal out of it over the internet if they could get it for free even though they still have a job and can get the same meal made by a real person? Is it right to ignore that things change and an idea and technology cannot be stopped?

[edit on 2-7-2010 by XL5]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jean Paul Zodeaux
reply to post by Majic

A gourmet meal can cost quite a bit of money too. Why not a thread about how the greedy restaurateurs need to get a clue and allow their food to be handed for free?

If you knew what really happened to your food in these restaurants, you might sing a different tune.

Automobiles? Why pay good money for a Lexus when you can just have some homey jack the damn thing for you?

3000$ +/- in steel and plastic, but 80k in the market. Grossly inflated because they know you WILL pay for it.

Nikes? Why pay for them when you can shoplift them? Just do it!

Nice 3 cents a day in sweatshops by workers who have no choice... "Just do it"

Diamonds? Everybody knows they're a girls best friend, and friends don't charge an arm and leg to be worn. Just play the cat burglar and steal the rocks, after all, its all justified in today's world where ethics is just a word used by academics.

Those same diamonds are carefully controlled by a select few to keep the supply short and the prices up. Many tons of diamonds are destroyed just to keep scarcity of the product. This isn't even considering the horrors suffered by those people forced to mine for the African conflict diamonds.

It's OK to have all your "ethics" when no one you know suffers for the things you expect to be available. And really, to hear a lawyer complain about a lack of ethics in others is about the funniest thing I have ever heard.

..Ex

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mobius1974
reply to post by BSG75

I am confused.. Did I address you?

Since you have refused to apologise, I must ask for satisfaction. It means, Sir, that I am calling you out, Sir. A Duel, Sir.

I await your reply

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

It has absolutely nothing to do with them charging to much in my opinion.I am laughing however at the the people who are complaining about concession stand prices when it has nothing to do with the cost of a movie. you can see a movie at the theaters with out all that junk.

I spend MORE money on movies because of free movies than I would otherwise.

Let me ask you this, did the fact that Eclipse was on line for a month before it came out in theater hurt its sales so far? Nope, not at all.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Mystery_Lady

go back and read the whole thing, and note what my replies are about.
insurance fraud is a response to a post about victimless crime, and how companies pass cost down. do you even know what a lights out operation is, there are factroies in japan where their products are never touched by human hands there for no need for light, this was used as a example of how the movie industry is not
there has to be humans involed some where.
as the million being a number picked yea it was, i was low balling it, the statement was about downloaders having at least 50 or more stolen movies on their hard drives. so i will use the op number, the link said 6. something million vist these sites i dont remember so we will round it down
to 6 mill. so lets say 1 ticket is $6.50 and 6 million stole and downloaded 1 movie worth $6.50 a ticket that come to $6.50 X 6,000,000=$39,000,000. now is that to hard to follow, most of the people here addmit to more than one, who knows the real number. 39 mill is not chump ethier.

do you make a product, or do work and give it away for free, what makes you think that any body has the right to steel someone elses work or products. they have the rights to them you dont.you didnt give anything towards the making of this product, you have no rights to it.

so like i've told everybody else you can twist it or spin any way you like, unless you are a complete dumb ass you know that downloading and uploading any thing that has a copy right is wrong, unless you have the holder of the copyright premission to do so.
theft is theft no matter how big or small
plain and simple

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   

reply to post by Mystery_Lady

go back and read the whole thing, and note what my replies are about.
insurance fraud is a response to a post about victimless crime, and how companies pass cost down. do you even know what a lights out operation is, there are factroies in japan where their products are never touched by human hands there for no need for light, this was used as a example of how the movie industry is not
there has to be humans involed some where.
as the million being a number picked yea it was, i was low balling it, the statement was about downloaders having at least 50 or more stolen movies on their hard drives. so i will use the op number, the link said 6. something million vist these sites i dont remember so we will round it down
to 6 mill. so lets say 1 ticket is $6.50 and 6 million stole and downloaded 1 movie worth $6.50 a ticket that come to $6.50 X 6,000,000=$39,000,000. now is that to hard to follow, most of the people here addmit to more than one, who knows the real number. 39 mill is not chump ethier.

do you make a product, or do work and give it away for free, what makes you think that any body has the right to steel someone elses work or products. they have the rights to them you dont.you didnt give anything towards the making of this product, you have no rights to it.

so like i've told everybody else you can twist it or spin any way you like, unless you are a complete dumb ass you know that downloading and uploading any thing that has a copy right is wrong, unless you have the holder of the copyright premission to do so.
theft is theft no matter how big or small
plain and simple

You've said nothing new and tried to make us pity the people who create movies who already have millions of dollars.
It's like we should be crying because some executive can't get a gold plated toilet.
Comparing small buisness to hollywood production companies is ridiculous, they are overpayed and don't deserve an extra 40 million a year.

[edit on 2-7-2010 by hippomchippo]

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join