It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds shut down nine websites in movie piracy crackdown

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
Spectacular. We have murderers and rapists running around because we can't keep them in jail. However we can spend millions on going after movie pirates.

I could not even begin to convey properly how ignorant and nonsensical that entire sentence/paragraph was .
Are you implying that our LEO's have stopped searching for Murderers and rapists to chase illegal downloaders? They couldn't have started a new task force above and beyond their current force?
What about the Armed robbers and pedophiles? Maybe they are ignoring them to look for murderers and rapists? I am slowly losing faith in humanity!

Somehow our list of priorities is screwed up. How about we get a handle on the other things wrong with society before letting the MPAA and RIAA tell us how to run things.

Ok so in your "logic" i say that as lightly as i possibly can.... We should stop investigating other crimes, until all of the rapists and murderers are caught?? How exactly do we know when we have capturered all of the rapists and murderers? Do we put out an ad asking for voluntary surrender? Ad would sound like this.

"All rapists and murderers that HAVE NOT been caught yet... We the people would appreciate it, if you would turn yourself in. We have decided to start putting more resources into another type of crime, and can not do that until every last rapist and murderer is caught, according to grey580!!!

Stop laughing at his name... He just wanted everyone that met him to know that he believes in Aliens!!"

As I wrote earlier

Everyone feels "safe" behind their little desk... Annonymously downloading movies and or music.. F'ing cowards!! Your making a stand against high prices?? Grow a pair and go out and protest the cost of a new car.. Go steal one. Maybe while your at it..I think LCD TV's are too much, should I go steal one?

I think this thread shows the hypocrisy of the so called intelligent folks on ATS. I wonder if half of you keyboard protesters would be so apt to steal these things, if your IP was your SS#... I am done wondering.. You would decide if you have the money to go to the movies, or wait for the DVD.

It is incredible how lightly you are taking this.... So you think the prices are high.... so you steal it, to show exactly what?

Don't you think the price hike has something to do with the lost revenue from illegal downloading? It has a direct relationship to the price of DVD's and CD's.

The stores and businesses in our country have had to cushion their bottom line for years, due to you protesters and plain old theives!

You can argue all you want about price and product.. you have the right to not watch or buy.. BUT you do not have the right to steal! Its that simple. Twist it anyway you want... the fact remains.. ITS THEFT!

Pull your head out of the sand.

[edit on 1-7-2010 by Mobius1974]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
It's no different to me buying the movie and then passing it around my suburb for all the people in my area to watch for free.
If that is not illegal, then neither is this.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
The world is coming to an end..or new beginning, depending on how you look at it..and yous all are talking about boycotting movies and gas stations and blah de blah..This isn't the 1970's, get with the times.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I am often amazed how effective the whole "Piracy is murder" (or was it arson, rape? cant remember, i never ever get to see those ads) - brainwashing was.

Anyway, the simple point is this:
IP is not the same as owning a physical object.
We have different laws for that very reason for IP.
IP Expires.
Ownership on physical objects does not (you can even give it away after your death, to whom you like)

Copyright infringement is not Theft!
Theft is not Copyright infringement!
Last time I went to a store and bought a gift, nobody told me that that would be Illegal. I assumed that, since I bought it, I can do with it as I please. I dont see the auto industry complain about the used cars market.

Anyway, I think ACTA is a big chance. It pits ISPs vs Copyright holders, and the ISPs arent happy. Now there is an opponent who can claim that it fulfills a vital function for society, and has money. I think if society gets to choose if it rather has hollywood or working phones, most people will choose phones.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Damnit! Did they get SurftheChannel too? It's definitely down at the moment

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Durrilll
and the government chases after the little people for "stealing"

That is the point is it not. That people are knowingly stealing.

I'm truly sad to see so many are thieves and think stealing is OK. It's not OK. It has never been OK and it will never be OK.

If you steal, you can not be trusted. You deserve no trust.

It's what you do when nobody is looking that defines you.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

I'm truly sad to see so many are thieves and think stealing is OK. It's not OK. It has never been OK and it will never be OK.

See my post above Baline
It is *NOT* stealing
There is no equivalent to theft in IP law, and IP law is different than property law (for obvious reasons)
A simple example:
Under the DMCA circumventing DRM measures is strictly forbidden.
If you buy a DVD, and copy it to your computer (circumventing the DRM), just for convinience, and never give it to anybody.
Who did you steal it from?
If you later lend the DVD to a friend, who returns it to you the following day, did he steal it? did you? Must you not watch the copy on your HD, while not in posession of the physical DVD?

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Great

www.movies-links.tv...

Now look what happens.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I would like to point out that some of the sites are simply going to move and re open. One of them already has
And it was one of the bigger ones, too... heheh (one of the ones that has links for everything from ninja to mega). What are they expecting to accomplish with this when you can just go to google and find the new site within the same day? Maybe they made it inconvenient for a few folks for ALMOST a day. I seriously doubt they will be able to keep any kind of lid on file sharing or free movie sites for any period of time.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity

“We are dedicated to protecting the jobs, the income and the tax revenue that disappear when organized criminals traffic in stolen movies for their own profit,” John Morton, assistant secretary for the immigration and customs agency, said in a statement explaining the new initiative.

Yeah, well, government you weren't that freaking concerned about protecting our jobs when millions of our jobs went offshore for the corporations' own profits and that tax base eroded. Hypocrites.

Wow, so true! I never even thought of that. They sold us down the river with NAFTA, and our standard of living gets worse by the day and look at the money and resources they throw at saving every dollar of the millionaires' incomes.

[edit on 7/1/2010 by AntiNWO]

[edit on 7/1/2010 by AntiNWO]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ganja

To quote the guys from pirate bay, after the 2006 raid:

We release some stats in the blog about our recent downtimes:
Tiamo gets *very* drunk and then something crashes: 4 days
Anakata gets a really bad cold and noone is around: 7 days
The US and Swedish gov. forces the police to steal our servers: 3 days

Also: I have never heard of any of these sites! gotta check them out i guess

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
If movies had a "money back guarantee" then we'd see who is the boss of who.

The amount of unmemorable rubbish that these new measures are protecting is the biggest scandal. They want you to part with your money...period. Sure, there's movies that some would gladly go and buy after seeing online for free, but I bet there's a HUGE number who are real glad they didn't waste their HARD EARNED money on trash.

It's ALL about profit for them, they don't care if you enjoy what they put out as long as you keep paying and they can lie about how good their movies are beforehand.

There are parasites on both sides here, but one side gets protection for their actions and free reign to pummel the public with mass produced overpriced garbage made by fat cats and unworthy stars who don't live in the real world who then pat themselves on the back for producing disposable mind fuzz, and the other side is the criminal and the consumer IN the real world who is bombarded by that fuzz.

If Hollywood was going broke, then fair enough....but it ain't!

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
i've never heard of these sites either. and true sites will never stay down.

love that post from tpbay. 3 days hahahah!

and oh yeah, its a war? from now on i will boost production and be a bigger problem for tptb than they ever bargained for. its a war. arrr.

they wanna start something? they have no idea what theyre starting.

the ptb are fighting so hard right now because free people are gaining ground. we may be outnumber but we cant be outdone. our numbers are growing. we're tired of being strangled. we need air! we the people!

now it is what it shoulda been a long time ago.

and those who fall are martyrs

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by debunky

See my post above Baline
It is *NOT* stealing
There is no equivalent to theft in IP law, and IP law is different than property law (for obvious reasons)
A simple example:
If you buy a DVD, and copy it to your computer (circumventing the DRM), just for convinience, and never give it to anybody.
If you later lend the DVD to a friend, who returns it to you the following day, did he steal it? did you? Must you not watch the copy on your HD, while not in posession of the physical DVD?

man what a sad little thief your are tring to twist words around like a lawyer to prove your point. every one knows what they mean, when they run the copy right laws on movies and or credits. why would you need to remove DRM to watch on your computer, all of the computers i've seen for sale have a dvdrom that allows you watch a dvd with out doing nothing to it.if you rip the stored data off the dvd to put on your hard drive, sounds like your up to something to me, convinience my ass. most movies are at least 700mb plus, some go into the giga bites please dont talk to us like we dont have a clue
its just that some thieves are more big time than others,some do it for thier own personal enjoyment. others like the sites do it for money, they make money off of some body elses work and products. they do this by charging a fee or advertizements. will you let me get paid for the work you do, or let me have your product you produce, by theft. i dont think you would i think you would do what ever you could to get it back and stop it from happening.
please dont insult us by tring to twist words around and make out like steeling something is all right.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
A Remix Manifesto

Culture always builds on the past.

The past always tries to control the future.

Our future is becoming less free.

To build free societies you must limit control of the past.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tuvok112
damnit!! I was just about to watch hells kitchen on ninjavideo right after looking at ATS!!

It evolved from the $2 movies and $1 dollar popcorn when I was a child to a behemoth of as high as $30 per person for a ticket, drink, snacks, etc.

I'm probably going to stop going to the theater... and I'm likely to stop buying DVDs too.

Yeah, it is so expensive that I had to stop going to the theater completely... except maybe twice a year. I know a lot of my friends have stopped going, too, especially with the bad economy... most of them don't have jobs or have low hours at the moment.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkbake

Originally posted by Tuvok112
damnit!! I was just about to watch hells kitchen on ninjavideo right after looking at ATS!!

It evolved from the $2 movies and $1 dollar popcorn when I was a child to a behemoth of as high as $30 per person for a ticket, drink, snacks, etc.

I'm probably going to stop going to the theater... and I'm likely to stop buying DVDs too.

Yeah, it is so expensive that I had to stop going to the theater completely... except maybe twice a year. I know a lot of my friends have stopped going, too, especially with the bad economy... most of them don't have jobs or have low hours at the moment.

Ahhh, but that's the catch....

The more people will pay to go and see a movie, the better the sound system gets, the comfier the seats get, the snacks and drinks get more exclusive and the projectors get super digital. So...they charge more and the whole thing gets blown into 3D...so, they charge more and then the air conditioning gets upgraded...so, they charge more....etc, etc...but all the while they say it's FOR YOU the audience. Blx!

Gimme an orange box, the sky above and a white sheet with a tear in it and I'd be happier...because it wouldn't cost the same as it does for me to eat for a week.

"THEY" will just have to accept that there is a limit to how much money they can squeeze out of people. Rather than push us to a maximum limit for the product and suffer piracy and online viewing as an effect, if they gave a damn about their bread and butter then they'd offer exceptional value, have a happier audience, fewer thefts and a whole lot more respect.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by hounddoghowlie

Originally posted by debunky

See my post above Baline
It is *NOT* stealing
A simple example:

man what a sad little thief your are tring to twist words around like a lawyer to prove your point. every one knows what they mean, when they run the copy right laws on movies and or credits. why would you need to remove DRM to watch on your computer, all of the computers i've seen for sale have a dvdrom that allows you watch a dvd with out doing nothing to it.if you rip the stored data off the dvd to put on your hard drive, sounds like your up to something to me, convinience my ass. most movies are at least 700mb plus, some go into the giga bites please dont talk to us like we dont have a clue
its just that some thieves are more big time than others,some do it for thier own personal enjoyment. others like the sites do it for money, they make money off of some body elses work and products. they do this by charging a fee or advertizements. will you let me get paid for the work you do, or let me have your product you produce, by theft. i dont think you would i think you would do what ever you could to get it back and stop it from happening.
please dont insult us by tring to twist words around and make out like steeling something is all right.

Backup
DVDs scratch
HDs dont
Get box, open box, insert disk vs select file in neatly ordered directory
Get rid of the unskipable "You wouldnt rape someone, would you" trailer
A DVD is 4GB
If I had just 1 2TB drive on my system i could make backups for 500 DVDs
My TV is hooked up to my secondary graphics card.
Yes, security and convenience

Incidently: do you know how much data you can get on a VHS? It was a very popular, cheap backup method in russia in the 90ies.
4GB
That just as an aside.

If i am a thief, please, make somebody sue me for theft! (Not copyright inrignement, theft) I will glady provide my Name and Adress, IP, ISP, clients used via PM.
Oh, incidently: I am at this very moment downloading and seeding a good bunch of "crushed in 2008" Pirate Bay torrents.

[edit on 1-7-2010 by debunky]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
When the world needs a break and a cut in prices to make ends meet what does Hollywood do???? Raise the price of ticket sales !!! And pay the actors record breaking amounts of dough. It's sick.

And don't forget the biggest pirates of all in the entertainment business — the Snack Concessions in the theatre lobbies.

Two large drinks, two large popcorns, maybe a hot dog = $40

Add the price of two theatre tickets, and you're talking about nearly $75 for 2 hours entertainment. Then, most of the time, the movie sucks so badly that you walk out of the theatre feeling like you've been robbed.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I will rather watch movies or my TV shows on the net for free then wasteing my money cash on there grabage remakes or new flims,

online.wsj.com...

"[P]lease keep in mind that you're watching videos for free as opposed to spending over 20 dollars at the [movie] theater or purchasing a show," the affidavit quoted TVShack as saying. "This should help you put things in perspective."

I will rather watch the movies for free thank you ever much and i cant stand the teaters with those huge sounds
and i aint going to waste my money on a moivie which i might not like right everyone?

Movie studios, artists and media companies have long battled illegal file-sharing and piracy sites with lawsuits on top of lawsuits. The government cited data from the Motion Picture Association of America, which claims that the U.S. film industry loses $25.6 billion a year.

Maybe they wouldnt loss so much money if they wasted so much on studipt crap flims or remakes but they could hired better writters to make better flims rather then going on a witch hunt.

Again this is an attack on our freedom of rights and viewing.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join