It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are You Sneaky, Observant, Patient?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by John_Q_Llama

Hmmm thought I was a lone freak ty for letting me know I'm not alone..

Although I maybe a freak..after you read this..

After spending many years doing many of the things givin as examples in your thread, I noticed something, about ppl in general.
Ppl are animals...or if you chose to think your higher than animals ..thats ok too...but we as ppl react like animals, in general.
Read a few books on animal behaviors/psychology.. if you desire to hone this skill a bit more..

Myself, I have been to company x-mas dinners, told for weeks later at work, I was not there by co-workers, same as going to a pub, had ppl tell me "oh guess what happened last night"
I then tell them before they tell me...they are like WTH you were not there!

Only thing I can use as an example is maybe deer, ever walked out into a yard or park where deer were present?
If you ignore them, and go on with normal actions, you can get very very close to them, slam car doors, almost anything you want...
But if you stop and stare, then you are not just a natural passer by...they are aware of you now....and spooked..
Thus outing you...from your viel of ninja ghost smoke....

Being able to be seen, and forgotton just as fast is uber important for survival IMO..

ETA:::having the patience of a tick is also important...

[edit on 1-7-2010 by Doc Holiday]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I'm glad to see that I am not alone in having this mentality.

I, too, see it as extremely useful and important in terms of survival. Not only if you're out in the middle of the woods trying to make it through the day, but also if you are sitting in your home when nothing is wrong.

One good exercise that I've discovered is writing. I am in the process of writing a story in which the main character has to rely on the survival skills we're discussing. Being forced to think through everything while writing is a great way to understand the different aspects of stealth, observation, and attention to detail.

Using my character as an example, imagine you've survived some unexplainable event in which, as far as you know, most people are dead. But you've seen others (in my story it's a military helicopter sweeping the area), so you know that you're not alone, and that other survivors may not have your best interest in mind. You're low on food, water, and other essentials. Luckily there's a supermarket less than a mile away, so the obvious thing to do is pay it a visit.

This is where the thinking and planning comes into play. Finding cover along the way is critical to avoid being seen. Taking a route which will leave no tracks is also key. You arrive at the store and find that it appears barren. Why not just go break through one of the glass doors and start shopping? That's what I had my character do initially, but as I continued writing I realized it was a mistake. The chopper showed up later, and the broken glass came to mind as evidence that someone was alive. Rather than going straight for the doors, it would be better to find a concealed location from which to observe and wait. There could be other people around, with guns, who would just as soon unload a clip of ammo into you than let you walk out with a pack full of food.

Once it appears the coast is clear, you get closer, hide, and wait some more. Listen, smell, see, and feel the environment. Are there tracks anywhere? Broken glass? Anything out of place? No? Okay, head to the door. How do you get inside? Busting the glass could be bad, as I mentioned. Is there another way? Can the door be forced open? Perhaps the latch of the locks can be moved? Thinking outside the box would be important. Let's assume you find a way past the doors which won't attract attention, and allows you to return when necessary while maintaining that appearance.

You step inside. Find a dark spot and hide. More listening, waiting, watching. Just because you broke in doesn't mean someone else may not be there as well. Save for the pale moonlight coming in the windows and doors, the store is dark. It's very quiet too except when the wind kicks up outside. Good thing you wore lightweight shoes. Moving around silently on the clean tile floors will be easy. You don't notice anything odd, so you continue to the grocery department. The smell of rotten produce and meat is strong to the point that it makes you feel sick. Better head away from there or find a way to mask the smell. Tossing your salad would mean leaving evidence behind.

Don't take everything from one shelf. Taking all of the baked beans might tip someone off that another person stopped in and grabbed em all up. A varied selection looks more natural and is less conspicuous.

As you shop, it can't hurt to stop and listen. Someone could have been watching you when you entered. What was that? Some sound coming from further in the store where there's less light. It's tempting to investigate, but safer to avoid confrontation. Remember, you need to survive. Patience, no need to hurry. You have no firearm, nor any other weapon. It's not in your nature. All you have is your fists, your mind, and your legs to get you out of there. Okay, grab a few more things, but be silent. Good, time to move.

As you creep toward the door, crouched for better cover, the idea of finding a key comes to mind. It would sure make getting in and out a cinch. Too bad you have no idea where to look. Maybe another time. Should have thought of that sooner.

The door is close. You're kneeling a few yards away in a small nook in one of the checkout aisles. It's a good spot to stop and observe. Running into someone who's coming in wouldn't be good. As you're looking out at the doors you feel something isn't right. Your gut is telling you that you're not alone. Better safe than sorry. You take off your pack, silently set it on the floor, and then sit down facing the doors while keeping yourself, including your limbs, in the shadows. Make sure you're not going to bump anything that will make a noise. When you get up, do you have enough clearance? If you are spotted, can you move quickly without being hampered by the aisle or something else? Everything looks good. Time to wait.

After sitting for a while, perhaps an hour, that uneasy feeling has passed. Unfortunately you didn't see anyone, nor hear anything else. But at least it appears that the area is clear and safe. Outside you can see the sky is showing a hint of brightening. Morning is coming and you don't want to be out in daylight. It's time to move.

You make it out of the store and safely back home, returning on a different route than the one you took to get there and stopping once along the way to watch for anything unusual. Time to crack open a can of beans and enjoy a few twinkies. Thank goodness for man-made preservatives.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
as a child I got sent to bed early. so I hid behind the chair and watch’t TV. no one could find me most of the time. you get in to less trouble if no one can see or find you. I think I was a cat in a previous incarnation. I like to watch people to. I should have been a spy. it is fun to do. it can be exciting ! people find Ninja's exciting and spys.

[edit on 1-7-2010 by buddha]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
OP

I can relate to what you are saying with this thread ( star for you ).
I can go both ways with regard to being observing that If I'm in a different or say new area or in new company I like to take the reserved and observant mood to process what I think of the new area or people then I make my move whether to become a little louder and interact or to stay a little more reserved.

Doing this I feel as helped me alot in life but then in the same case it may have even held me a back a bit.

Great thread though.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
You think its fun observing human behavior when they know youre there you should purchase or make a ghillie suit.

Ghillie Suit

Way more fun when you actually do become a bush, a patch of long grass, a tree, or a rock...

Not to be creepy or anything

[edit on 02/04/2009 by Cool Breeze]

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I was born a poor white child and abused. My father was an alcoholic and hated hippies, he was a career sergeant in the army. I smoked pot in the seventies and my friends and I drank what beer we could find that had been thrown out of cars that were being followed by cops. We learned to drink it warm, yes. Anyway, I had to be stealthy to avoid HIM doing his father/military style field sobriety test.

[edit on 5-7-2010 by KrispyB]

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I was abused and sort of neglected when I was younger so I realized I needed to keep a low profile. So I always snuck around in my own house to try and keep out of my dads sight.
If he was in the bathroom takeing a shower I knew I had approx. 12 mins to get something out of the kitchen or talk with my sister.
I learned patience from the same area of my life.
As for observation, I could read my fathers face and body language so I knew when I cold attempt a conversation with him. I watch everyones body language
I sold cars for 2 years and used the queit but focused and observant attitude and sold countless cars.
Now that I have been laid off from there, I have started repoing cars. I use the observant abd patient attitude while my partner is the hot headed and gungho type.
So due to my childhood I use my "spider" sences to help get me through life.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
depending upon the situation... all 3 are a part of me...and sometimes all at once...

sneaky is another nice word for being a mean and unpredictable bastard...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join