It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do we keep feeding Africa?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by MrsBlonde

Now most people in Africa are separated from the centuries old pastoral herding and or indigenous Urban cultures that had served them well and sustainably for eons

Because Big Politics Big Business Big Greed Big Power ran over them and took everything their gold their diamonds their ivory their land their history their identity and replaced it with civil war ,rape starvation and being marginalized and treated like dirt in their own land of origin their only home.

One would think that a land with so many rich natural resources would cultivate and harvest them in order to create a forward sustaining society, instead of following a herd of poorly nourished cattle across the countryside and being an eternal victim to the annual rainfall cycle.

Surely the eons have produced at least a handful of individuals with that foresight, no?

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

People in charge are to greedy to worry about the people been able to support themselves, they would rather live a lavish lifestyle and let the rest of the world worry about their countries people.

Look at ZIM, it has some of the best farming land in the world but government has let it all go to waste. His people are starving but he owns tons of land in other countries, his wife goes shopping in England at the most expensive shops yet there is hardly any food even in the shops for the people of ZIM

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   
I know of someone that worked with an oil company in africa and the oil company wanted to clean out the entire area they were working in to make it free of malaria. They told the government we would also be clear out all of your villages in the surrounding area for free... the government then turned to the oil company and said, "Ill let you spray if you pay me"..

So the oil company said,"Go f### your self" and only sprayed their compound

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Traitors will for money/power sell out their own kind, this is why the poverty exists, guns from us to supply us with the African booty.
The righteous in Africa weep and have for centuries, they were defeated by the gun and cannon and never recovered.
They Africa have been a concentration camp ever since.
Ignorance mate....you are accussing the victims of the murder of themselves.....just open your eyes.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Expired

I second your motion. We see so called, 'backwards' people that can't, 'get it together' even though we are 'helping' them. The truth is what was summed up by Dr Expired.

"All they do is breed, we need to reduce their population" is the resulting response from those in the 'civilised' and 'developed' world. This was the plan all along. Can anyone say IMF? Do some research into AIDS. If you realise that H5N1 was man-made then perhaps you are open to the revelation that AIDS was also a designer disease made for the control of populations, mainly in Africa. Check out the Strecker Memorandum

video.google.com...#

The video is choppy for some reason but the audio shall suffice. There is also a good book I had that I can't seem to locate in my files.

This is the 'help' they are offered. Damn ungrateful backward people, why are they not grateful for the loving help we give.

ps. I like monkeys

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrsBlonde
kay I'm going to step in here and point out that prior to Wars of Imperialism, from the 1600's until now Africans fed themselves just fine

they had a Multitude of fascinating cultures that had served them well and they all flourished that way but Muslims British Germans Dutch Portuguese and and now China and whoever else felt like it ,came over and had an Effen free for all enslaving them stealing their land and resources and killing every form of wildlife that they could Find

Now most people in Africa are separated from the centuries old pastoral herding and or indigenous Urban cultures that had served them well and sustainably for eons

Because Big Politics Big Business Big Greed Big Power ran over them and took everything their gold their diamonds their ivory their land their history their identity and replaced it with civil war ,rape starvation and being marginalized and treated like dirt in their own land of origin their only home.

We broke them but that's not why we feed them ,we feed them to keep them weak and dependent on us so they can never again feel pride freedom or self sufficiency ,so they have barely enough to survive and nothing else . That's why we feed them

I worked in the Congo. The above post is the sad truth.

Exploitation of natural resources is the game here. It began with colonization and is perpetuated today through corporate greed.

People are people regardless of where they live.

Love and peace to all,

Namaste.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Good question - the reasons are complicated - here are 3 of the main reasons:
1. War (most directly attributed to the power vacuum created when the Colonial Powers withdraw, but make no mistake there were wars and genocide before Africal was colonised).

Leading an army of 40,000 to 80,000 warriors in the early 1800s, Shaka merged with or conquered a number of nearby tribes, killing more than a million men, and by 1818 became Emperor Shaka the Great, head of the Zulu Kingdom. At that point, the Mfecane began in earnest. Genocidal warfare broke out among the tribes that the Zulus had defeated, turning much of the region into a depopulated wasteland.

Link

2. Drought or Weather (currently parts of Zimabwe are experiencing devastating droughts, while other parts have had so much rain that their harvest have been damaged or even destroyed.
Link

3. A culture of subsistence farming with no proper farming methods on tiny pieces of land. Top soil gets lost, and the soil that remains get worse and worse as the it does not have time to recover. The food that is harvested is seldom enough to even feed the farmer.

Link

Edit for grammar

[edit on 1/7/2010 by deltaalphanovember]

[edit on 1/7/2010 by deltaalphanovember]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by misskush
In my opinion the real problem here is an explosive population, and humanity's inability to deal with it the way nature would. From an evolutionary standpoint Africa's population needs to be culled in order for the balance of food and people to be normal again. Instead, the population manages to squeeze by and keep multiplying because they are surviving on foreign aid and governmental "bandaid" solutions that someone here previously mentioned. I think a more effective solution to starvation may be educating populations about birth control.

The above is the post I reply to below. I'm new and don't know how to quote others properly yet. LOL

I'm sorry but thats exactly the political correct yet utterly misinformed sentiment that one can only expect from those that happily digest the drivel thats put out through the media channels that are controlled by the same demonic freaks that have created and perpetuate the current situation in places like Africa. The nation has been distabilised purposfully, they have been made dependant on foreign aid purposefully, they have been placed in irrevocable debt purposefully. All they need is education and condoms. LOLOL

I'm sorry if I insult but to me it seems you may aswell just say, 'well they should just eat their babies and stop bothering us for AID.' The west has not only given them Aid they have also given them AIDS. The history is more complex and sinister and should be researched. A poster in this thread put it quite succinclty, 'Africa is one big concentration camp', and concentration camps don't just come about because of a lack of education and condoms.

You should go into politics, the eugenics crowd would love you and surely propel you into prominence.

Peace.

[edit on 2010/6/30 by misskush]

[edit on 1-7-2010 by Titan Uranus]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   
In my opinion it is quite simple. I understand that with "we keep feeding" the OP means USA and the rest of the "first" world.

Well, as long your leaders (the "we" in the original question) keep supporting the corrupt and incompetent leaders in Africa, you will keep feeding Africa.

As long as the first world keep corruption going in Africa to get to the mineral wealth, you will keep feeding Africa.

As long as the world keep dumping their toxic waste in Africa, you will feed Africa.

As long as the world keep using Africa as a laboratory to test medicines, vacines, GM crops, etc. you will continue to feed Africa.

As long as the world keeps making money out of the wars they keep going in Africa, you will continue to feed Africa.

As long as you keep feeding Africa, you will continue to feed Africa.

I believe that if the world withdraw aid, stop rigging elections and funding corrupt dictators, Africa will slowly recover and feed itself. I know it sounds cruel, but maybe instead of feeding a overpopulated under performing continent the world should introduce birth control (and no, GM crops are too slow). Maybe the world should supply every African with free satelite receivers and televisions, and the birthrate might drop.

How is it possible that when people are starving, they do not stop having children? This goes against any other creature in nature. All other species stop breeding when the food supplies run low. Is it maybe because the world keeps feeding Africa, so they know there will always be a supply of food regardless?

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Food is a weapon. Sometimes it gets traded for weapons. Rarely does it get to those who it was intended for unfortunately. Even when it does it simply creates a larger problem later. You have a good point.

Sad but true........

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
It has been said that the next great war will be over Water. It stands to reason that this will be the case as No Water = No Food.
A starving man will do anything.

Nowhere is this issue more important than in the Middle East, where water is considered a ‘strategic’ resource and tensions between countries in the region over it are high. There it has become a major political issue, and the various peace agreements that have been proposed or signed in recent years all include water.
This has led to claims from various sources – attributed (but unsubstantiated) to such individuals as Boutros Boutros Ghali and former King Hussein of Jordan – that ‘the next war in the Middle East will be over water’. This rhetoric has captured the public imagination and caused much consternation in the intelligence communities of various countries, who worry whether water – or other scarce resources – may be a future flashpoint for international conflict.

www.unep.org...

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Someone already thought about this...

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by korath

..Because each time we feed an African they multiply by 5, and thus 5 more mouths need to be fed.. then they grow ontop of each other and violent outbreaks and civil wars occur while warlords steal the food and ration it out for control causing yet more shortages of food resulting in refugee camps where villagers can't get an education so they just.. reproduce by 5 and thus 5 more mouths to feed...

*gasps for air* ...

In other words it makes no sense what so ever, except that it's politically correct to not feed Africans, and the more poor hungry Africans there are, the more cheap workers American and Chinese companies can hire to exploit the land with.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I see alot of thoughts, suggestions and reasoning being listed in this thread as it's a very interesting topic. The one reoccurring theme, however, seems to be WAR. For 40 years that continent has been in such turmoil that aid money has gone to buy weapons instead of food?

Sure, I suppose some of it has.

Now - to play devil's advocate on that thinking....

Explain HAITI

Poor, poor poor - aid, aid, aid for how many years now?

I'm going to lean with the whole welfare/entitlement route on this one. Why should those folks want to learn how to fish when we run the largest fish market on the planet?

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by korath

Why exactly is it they can't seem to get it together?

Because there are weak money hungry tyrants intentionally stationed in AFRICANAZ countries that only care about themselves and not their humble people... I wouldnt worry for thier souls are already positioned to be extracted in the near future.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

I understand and agree with your opinion ... why don't they have less children.
But you must understand the cultural differences. Having many children is considered a good thing in Africa ... you are a wealthy and potent man if you sire many offspring.
Our own President, Jacob Zuma, has 20 children!

Some speakers ridiculed the idea of "behaving like Europeans" and restricting themselves to one or two children. There are practical as well as cultural reasons for large families. For the 80% in sub-Saharan Africa who are subsistence farmers with no state to support the ill or elderly in their family, to have many children is simply a sensible insurance policy, a source of labour first and an old age pension later

Link

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
There are two pieces of the equation that haven't been discussed

Education ,< something that most Africans don't have access to not enough of an education to enable them to better themselves in any meaningful way

and women ,African women are subjected to gruesome female circumcision and in the Congo and several other hot spots men have been waging a war of genocide against women?

It has something to do with their newly developed warrior cult in those regions

there's some truly Demonic stuff going on in Africa

I dare you to look at any society that abuses it's women a degrades them and denies them education and human rights and health care
and find prosperity anywhere.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaalphanovember

The number of children is directly related to ones station in life. Middle class to wealthy people have less children even though they can afford many more. While poor people have many more children while they can afford none.

No one knows why. Some have blamed education, some have blamed cultural differences, and some have blamed access to sterilization even.. but nothing dispells the trend seen literally in ever race, on every continent in every culture.

Personally I believe that we are ingrained with a natural Human instinct that when we are poor, our instinct is to reproduce, our histories showing that the more kids you had the more "help" you had. Also being poor meant shorter life spans and more likely a kid would die.

Being malnourished and poor might also signal the body to reproduce because under such conditions you know your child has a poor chance of being a healthy adult, the more you have the better the chances, law of average.

Looking at where the highest birthrates are in the World you will highlight Africa, specifically the Congo, which is ravaged by war.. along with other extremely dangerous countries like Liberia, Afghanistan and Niger.

These countries also receive the most aid. Why funnel food and other resources into horrible places on the planet to help explode the population? You take the natural human instinct to populate in hard times, but increasing the odds of survival greatly, thus creating more people to fuel the never ending conflicts?

Quite simply foreign aid distorts the planets natural ability to keep populations in check.

Continue doing it, even after war ends, and you end up with a place like Palestine, the highest population density on the planet where they continue to multiply faster than they can feed themselves.. if food aid were cut off, famine would wipe out most of the population.

So imo, it has less to do with culture and more to do with Human behavior/instinct and the natural progression of the World.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
why shouldnt we feed them? we have way more than we need so why shouldnt we?
these are people - human beings. its despicable that half the world is starving while the other half has more than they need and throw away what we dont consume. it makes me feel bad that they are starving, it's not their fault after all. can you imagine their despair?

when i was a kid around the late 60's and into the 70's, i think i can vaguely recall a few news report that said some charity or aid organisation were sending them over some agricultural machinery and equipment, and then show them how to use it, and teach them how to grow their own food so that they could learn to be less and less dependent on aid and charities.
then a few years later they were needing food aid again, so it appeared on the face of it that these people didnt want to better their way of life. however, (my memory is vague by the way) i also remember that what WASNT widely reported, was that this project failed because when all this donated agricultural machinery began to break down through wear and tear and needed maintaining, the people didnt know how to repair it. the aid and charities didnt provide for mechanical fitters and technicians. so the equipment and stuff, now useless, was just abandoned and left to rot.

i dont know if i got the story right nor if any of it is right, like i say my memory is a bit foggy.
maybe someone else here might remember something about this, if i've missed anything out or got it wrong please post.
dooby

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Our own President, Jacob Zuma, has 20 children!

I rest my case... he also does not do anything to stop corruption, and as was noted in the press this week, the goverment under Jacob Zuma is selling arms to countries which have arms embargoes against them, and he could care less.... why? Well because he is in power and he can. He openly admited to having extra-maritial (even though he has a handful of wives) sex with somebody that is HIV positive, and it does not phase him...

Mrs Blonde mentioned that the lots of children story could be due to a lack of education, and in South Africa I might agree, but Zimbabwe, Namibia, Botswana, and I am sure a good couple more African countries teaches the British A-levels at school, and the students write exactly the same exams as the British kids, so I would say they get a good basic education of a very good standard.

A different idea is the topic of goverment grants. It was reported today that welfare recipients outnumber employed people in South Africa ... www.fin24.com... ....

In South Africa children receives welfare grants, so does unmarried mothers... so if you cannot find a job, get pregnant, and the goverment will at least help you some of the way to put food on the table... doesn't make sense at all if you ask me.

And yes, poorer people have more kids... is it maybe because the middle class gets taxes to death in order to provide for the poorer people and thus cannot afford to have children anymore??

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join