It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do we keep feeding Africa?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I'm all for feeding the hungry and what not, but I seem to remember 40 years ago when I was a kid watching these people in Africa run up to the UNICEF trucks because they needed food. Present day, I just got off the T.V. and their still asking for donations to feed the hungry over there. I know there's some corruption from whomever as far as the food distribution goes, but has this really been going on for four decades?

Why exactly is it they can't seem to get it together?

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by korath

We keep feeding them because the people there are hungry. Sure there are bad governments over there, but thats beside the point.

We keep feeding them because they are hungry. Its that simple

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
It's all politics. The more you feed and take care of will follow you. It's simple political diplomacy.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
We should give them bulldozers instead. That way they can make irrigation pathways and grow their own food.

Azteks did it...

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Because we want cheap coffee.
Edit to correct Corporations want cheap coffee... never really gets to "we" does it?

[edit on 30-6-2010 by Scalded Frog]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
You know why, we have the same problem here in the US, they want hand outs and do not want to work or make improvements in their lives. They want the white man to care of them.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I had to read this post a couple of times before writing something, because I kept thinking I was reading it wrong.

I will try to explain what is IMO, for more than I would say 40 years we have lived in a society that chooses to put band-aids on the problem instead of taking care of it. Food is a way to control the people.

Ive always asked myself, what is the deal that though the gov wants to constantly state that they are helping other countries, we have tele-thons, things such as concert's and even regular everyday people sending cash.

Maybe and thats a BIG maybe, we would have had food on our minds as opposed to money, we would have gave them seeds, or well's that worked for longer than a month, we gave temporary fixes, to long term problem's.

Now we enter starving countries and introduce Monsanto seeds, make these people take out loans, for seeds they cannot grow in their environment.

I am all for helping my fellow man, and when I can I actually do something about it, but if I know that my neighbor has fallen on hard times, I will not give them fish, but teach them how to fish, that's how people have and hold dignity.

There will never be a time when people will no longer be in need, and picking and choosing those that we want to help (as long as its profitable) will always win. That's why the state of our world is at stake. Right now we (the US) have many areas in need of things such as food, and children go to bed every night without a meal, and they live here. There's no profit in helping, just making empty promises and small fixes to major problems that seem to make this world go round.

Corruption, seems to be the least of the worries, because though they fight and bleed the country dry, people still starve, and die, from something that this planet provides to us for free.

Peace to you...

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
My heart has always gone out to these people. I am glad that we send food over there and medicines.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I think maybe we are keeping them poor on purpose. If they became wealthy like the middle east, then the west might have problems with them too. I'll gladly pay the price of a cup of coffee each day to keep them subdued and poor.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by korath

Because they are hungry.

What affects them - affects me.

Service to Self, or Service to Others.

[edit on 30-6-2010 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
To be honest saying Africa is pretty broad, you gotta look at how dynamic the situation really is.
There are 47 countries and over 10000 states in Africa, so you can imagine how many political parties are within each country in the struggle for power.
So your going to end up with alot of bad domestic government policies and no centralization of assets and resources.
We dont have open borders or centralization of our goods from Canada to USA or Mexico so why would they, they got tons more boarders.
Not to mention all the guerrilla warfare and genocide, how can any governing body do anything with no resources or to combat?

Now not all these countries are poor or governed inappropriatly Because you do see the people and orginizations on "tv" trying to help and get food, education as well as vaccinations, proper maternal care.
Food is just the headliner to get these basic need to these people.
I give total kudos to anybody that can help anyone.

There is a few really good parts in this that can point to some of the reasons why
en.wikipedia.org...

We are all born on the same damn island I cant wait till the idea that we belong to countries dissolve and we can have a planetary conscience. we will all be fed. hopes

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Tanzania regularly grows plenty of food. The problem is that ALL of it is sold to high-class, expensive european restaurants. Over there, the problem really isn't infertility of the land in most places, It's just the greed that keeps all of the money in the hands of the few and keeps the food out of the mouths of those who need it.

Wiki page on Tanzania (Read about it's exports)
en.wikipedia.org...

A friend of mine lives in africa, flying for wings of hope. He's said some pretty crazy stuff about the situation over there.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Because government enjoys wasting more and more of our money on useless, unconstitutional BS "aid" programs.

All aid needs to be cut off immediately.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
The powers that truly run the world (globalists, NWO, illuminati, whatever you want to call them) want people to be destitute and dependent. That way they are 1) easy to control, 2) have no power and no way to rise up against tyranny, and 3) will allow outsiders to exploit their natural resources out of desperation.

Of course, living in a desolate freakin' desert where food can't grow doesn't help, either.

The only way to truly help those folks is to defeat the NWO.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
In my opinion the real problem here is an explosive population, and humanity's inability to deal with it the way nature would. From an evolutionary standpoint Africa's population needs to be culled in order for the balance of food and people to be normal again. Instead, the population manages to squeeze by and keep multiplying because they are surviving on foreign aid and governmental "bandaid" solutions that someone here previously mentioned. I think a more effective solution to starvation may be educating populations about birth control.

[edit on 2010/6/30 by misskush]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by misskush

Ive always wondered about that making it a birth control problem opposed to a starvation problem, I remember it was I think late 80's early 90's where a woman here in the US was offering $200 or so dollars to drug addicts to get their tubes tied, and wow did everyone come out swinging.

I realized that though this was unethical in certain aspect's that it could cause fewer deaths of children, and shorten down the gov control over children's lives, and ease the system in which children go down the drain.

I wouldn't actually say that they should be sterilized, but when you think about it, it would never be allowed, due to the fact that a lot of the most horrific jobs are done by children, plus I don't think that most of those women have children willingly as we know that rape in these particular countries far out weigh the cost of living for those that later have these children and then their children are forced to work, with mutilation, and even death for those that do not comply.

BTW sterilization is reversible, by invetro, though it cost more to have a child later, I would that if you have the money for it, you can afford to have a child.

Peace to you...

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   
kay I'm going to step in here and point out that prior to Wars of Imperialism, from the 1600's until now Africans fed themselves just fine

they had a Multitude of fascinating cultures that had served them well and they all flourished that way but Muslims British Germans Dutch Portuguese and and now China and whoever else felt like it ,came over and had an Effen free for all enslaving them stealing their land and resources and killing every form of wildlife that they could Find

Now most people in Africa are separated from the centuries old pastoral herding and or indigenous Urban cultures that had served them well and sustainably for eons

Because Big Politics Big Business Big Greed Big Power ran over them and took everything their gold their diamonds their ivory their land their history their identity and replaced it with civil war ,rape starvation and being marginalized and treated like dirt in their own land of origin their only home.

We broke them but that's not why we feed them ,we feed them to keep them weak and dependent on us so they can never again feel pride freedom or self sufficiency ,so they have barely enough to survive and nothing else . That's why we feed them

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Some one keeps giving them guns and ammunition as well .Have some food to stay alive now have some guns to kill each other,makes sense if you are completely insane.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   
It is welfare to make them dependent.

Control.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Why do you give them food? Well because you take everything from them.

What most people forget all the time is that Africa has a wealth of minerals and good land for farming, people know Africans are desperate for money so they pay them next to nothing to do mining and grow fruit and veg

In return other countries show a bit of good faith and feed the poor and do one or two other things.

Oh and the governments of these countries can be really greedy and worry more about their status than feeding their people so they will take the money from other governments to make their people work like slaves.... Not all the governments are like this though so not generalizing

[edit on 1-7-2010 by bluedrake]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join