It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crime Free Zones declared in Calif City.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Leave it to the good people of California to come up with the ultimate solution to the world's crime problems.

It seems, a town in California has passed a law to create "Crime Free Zones" within their city.

[size=10]BRILLIANT!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/eceda63075d4.jpg[/atsimg]

This is no joke, it's an actual law they passed in 2003:

9.32.010 - Purpose.

The purpose of this chapter is to establish a procedure for the designation of crime free zones within the city.

9.32.020 - Definitions.

"Disperse" means to depart from the designated crime free zone and not to reassemble within the crime free zone with anyone from the group ordered to depart for the duration of the zone.

"Crime free zone" means an area that is established pursuant to Section 9.32.030.

"Illegal drug" has the same meaning as the term "controlled substance" in Section 11007 of the California Health and Safety Code.

9.32.030 - Procedure for establishing a crime free zone.

A. The city council may declare any area a crime free zone by adopting a resolution setting forth the boundaries of such area.
B. In determining whether to designate a crime free zone, the city council shall consider the following:

1. The occurrence of a disproportionately high number of arrests for the possession or distribution of illegal drug crimes against property and crimes against persons in the proposed crime free zone;
2. Objective evidence or verifiable information that shows that illegal drugs are being sold and distributed within the proposed crime free zone; and
3. Any other verifiable information from which the city council may ascertain whether the health and safety of residents who live in the proposed crime free zone are endangered by the purchase, sale, or use of illegal drugs or other illegal activity.

9.32.040 - Notice of a crime free zone.

Upon the designation of a crime free zone, the sheriff's department or city shall mark each block within the crime free zone by post the following information in the immediate area, of, and on the borders around, the crime free zone:

A. A statement that the area has been designated a crime free zone;
B. The boundaries of the crime free zone;
C. A statement of the effective dates of the crime free zone designation; and
D. Any other additional notice to inform the public of the crime free zone.

Lancaster Calif, code of ordinances

So, how did this whole "Crime Free Zone" thingy work out?

I looked up the crime stats for the city and, just for fun, I compared them with my nearby Philly, so I could have a comparison I can relate to.

Their crime stats are MUCH better than here in Philly (although, Lancaster CA beats Philly big time on burglaries) but, compared to the national average, they still leave much to be desired.

Crime rate comparison: Lancaster, Calif. vs Philly, Pa.

Who knows, with the economy in the tank and towns forced to fire their police forces, maybe these signs are the solution to California's crime AND budget problems. We've seen how well those No Place for Hate signs have wiped out hatred in the world, right?

[edit on 6/30/10 by FortAnthem]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
HAHAHAHA!

That will stop them. Reminds me of how gun-free zones ...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7ef06f81663e.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Read my sig.

and second line.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

They should have crime-free zones and then on the edge of town crime-allowed-zones, where you can take dope, shoot people you don't like and rent is surprisingly affordable...YES.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Welcome to Vancouver, a nuclear weapons free zone.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/afb6e599282e.jpg[/atsimg] We have them in North Vancouver too.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   

We need some of those up on Capitol Hill.

Not that they would work because politicians apparently cannot read.

Or obey the very laws they write and do not follow themselves.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b8b413022d73.jpg[/atsimg]

Just a reminder criminals are running things, FortAnthem, and the signs are for criminals inclined to read them, and leave without committing a criminal activity, which is non-existent.

Funny Signs

Sorry, criminals rarely read signs, they are usually too busy breaking in.

Committing crimes.

Or serving in Congress, Senate, or the White House.

[edit on 30-6-2010 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Criminalize crime! That's the ticket; too much crime? Write a law making crime illegal, that will fix it all. Too much poverty? Write a law making poverty a crime, that will fix it all. Too many asteroids and comets threatening our very existence? Write a law making asteroids and comets illegal, that will stop them from causing us any problems. Too much confusion with mathematics? Just write a law making Pi an even 3.0 so the math is easier, that will fix the problem of poor grades, although it may not be so good for buildings, bridges and other structures, but hey, we have legislatures that believe they can invent laws. Thank God they legislated gravity, otherwise we would all be floating in helplessly in space.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
OMG...this is brilliant! All cities should adopt this immediately. Why didn't we think of this sooner?

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Most towns need the unwritten laws such as South Boston has. Didn't see nutton don't know nutton. The citizens will take care of the business and the Police will make their best effort on the standard xeroxed generic crime report.....

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

Thanks for posting that vid, I almost peed myself from laughing so hard.

I love posting stories like this to lighten up the mood here on ATS.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
O..k. this thread is one to bookmark. So, this city in Ca can have no crime and Vancouver cannot be Nuked.

I think having signs like this do work a little because thugs think this means the area is being watched more closely.

" Signs, signs everywhere are signs. blocking up the scenery, blowing my mind. Do this, don't do that can't you read the signs?"
Tesla - The Band

[edit on 30-6-2010 by JohnPhoenix]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Hey! You are plagiarizing the concept of Taxman from the Beatles! Lucky you were not in a crime free zone! urh.. what?!?

I thought the concept to be laughable, but with the way it is designed, it could become a very powerful tool. I stopped laughing when I read it was moveable. If, by providence, an elected one decided to put it, let's say on an oil spill, what would be the consequences?

How would corporations be subjected to it? If a corporation gets the rights of a living body, surely it is expected to be subjected by it? Tho in the end, to much abuse of it will remove the "rarity" of the fact and the respect for it.

As for the thread about Hate Free zones, it is designed for the minds of the kids who complied to it in school, and translated for them in "real" life situations. They will grow up with it and end up finding it natural. Like televisions are for our generations.

But I agree with you on the fact it is kind of strange and bothering; what we get to see, in the end is: CRIME, HATE, INTOLERANCE, MURDER, etc. You know what I mean? It is like when cigarettes producers were paying for ads that would incite kids not to smoke. They would picture someone cool looking smoking, in a vibrant and impressive fashion, surrounded by not so big letters telling kids smoking would be bad.

In the hands of a fascist, it could put anywhere, after passing any kind of restricting regulations or criminalizing new laws, and get pretty much anyone arrested.

Lastly, does it mean crime-free zones will be more guarded than crime-allowed ones?

I just thought: since everything seems to be on the verge of being declared illegal, it would not be surprising, then, to see the "Elites" declare their homes crime-free zones, and have police force concentrated around them, leaving the people in a far-west like society, allowing them to stomp us that much more... sigh...

I told you I stopped laughing at one point...

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Sorry for my post above!!!

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   
I can't be bothered to look it up but it's probably just a way for them to hand out higher fines in these areas.

2nd line

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   
laugh out loud.

only in america.

third line.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   
THis is very straight forward.

It is simply to create crime free zones for the rich people so they can be safe in their homes with their families.

The poor can rob and shoot and stab and drug and rape each other all they want as long as it is outside the crime-free zone.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Hah, it's just such a stupid idea.

One I always see that is similar, and makes me think some people have no idea, is when you go to a store and it has a sign saying "NO MOTORCYCLE HELMETS".

It's idiotic, all it does is inconvenience the motorcyle rider who's just quickly running into the store, anyone wearing one as disguise for a robbery is not going to pay an iota of attention.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   
im sittng here trying to find something funny and intelligent to say about this. but all i can say is this is absolutely stupid. Arent these signs petty much known knowledge every single place in the USA anyway?? Is california just trying to remind people?

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   

All I got to say is... Ya gotta love Philly!
2nd line.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   
What a great concept!! I've got a friend in the printing business....

New sign to take to my local beach this summer.

"Topless Sun Bathing Allowed"

This sign should be just as effective as a the "Crime Free Zone" With any luck, It may just work on one or two gullible stooges.

[edit on 1-7-2010 by jibeho]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join