It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

paddlefish bizzare freshwater fish

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   

the paddlefish is an endagered freshwater fish that has been sought after for caviar. it once lived throughout the southeastern U.S. it is mainly a river dweller and has suffered from the damming of many rivers. last i heard efforts for restoration and preservation of the species have been successful. i have been to rivers and small lakes were it dwells but never lucky enough to see a real live one.

i was just wondering how many of yall have heard about this and if you never have it worth looking at and reading about.

www.earthwave.org...

mountain-prairie.fws.gov...

[edit on 6/14/2004 by panchovilla]

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Here's another (very short) article about how the fish may be coming back due to cleaner water. I saw either a gar or a paddlefish a few years back in Nebraska on the Missouri river. It surfaced, then quickly went back under. We stayed for awhile hoping it would resurface, but it didn't.

www.startribune.com...

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 04:23 PM
link   
They actually have some at the Aquarium of the Americas here in New Orleans. They are truly fascinating. There is even speculation that they could be closely related to sharks, but I think they are most often grouped with catfishes.

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 04:59 PM
link   
They are plentiful in the osage river and the lake of the ozarks. Open snagging season for them runs from mid april to the end of may (or something like that) There are very strict laws concerning size, location, and use of eggs (cannot sell). I caught a 78 pounder about 15 years ago.

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 10:14 AM
link   
the blobfish

www.oceans.gov.au...

man that thing look wild. check out the eye it looks like it is looking up at you, plotting your demise. really i feel sorry for it what if they deplete the numbers of a rare species by net em all up. the blobfish must be fairly common because i have seen many pictures of it.

[edit on 6/18/2004 by panchovilla]

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Isn't someone gonna propose that thet must be aliens or mutants, simply because they look weird?

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 12:56 PM
link   
They must be aliens, AND mutants. They look wierd.

new topics

top topics

join