It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bright Light Over Germany . . . ISS?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
OK, this is admittedly a long shot . . . but was anyone in Germany standing outside between 22:30 and 22:45hrs tonight (30 June)?

Did you see that bright light transit the sky, almost from horizon to horizon?

I've never seen anything quite so bright, visible for quite so long. Grew up in the Mojave Desert, near Edwards AFB, I'm very accustomed to seeing satellites and aircraft . . . this just looked 'different' . . . larger and brighter.

Was the ISS directly above western Germany at this time? Because honestly, that's about the only thing I can imagine that could be so bright.

This is my first thread, sorry it's so boring. Just trying to figure out what the heck that thing was.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
This link will show you live real time tracking of the ISS, Space Shuttle (during missions), etc.

Cheers!

www.n2yo.com...

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
nice site, thanks

looks like that could well be it

any way to use that site to see where the ISS was at a specific point in time?

if nothing else, i'd like to know when it will be back over germany so my daughter can see it

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by SecretGoldfish
OK, this is admittedly a long shot . . . but was anyone in Germany standing outside between 22:30 and 22:45hrs tonight (30 June)?

Did you see that bright light transit the sky, almost from horizon to horizon?

I live in Grünwald some kilometers away from munich, no big lights around my garden, so i can always see the sky and the stars.
Nothing out of the ordinary between 22:20 and 22:50 were i was outside in the garden. Though it is a bit cloudy out there.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
iss orbit

correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it was ISS

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
i'm near ramstein/kaiserslaughtern . . . this was bright enough to see through scattered thin cloud

it was bright. no missing it if you were looking up at the time

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Rohdan

i agree at this point. its transit was over germany, looks like about the right time, just eye-ballin' it on n2yo . . . must be some way to plot it's location at a specific date/time though

but yeah, looks like

i'll shoot an azimuth on it tomorrow, if the track was basically east i'd say that's the answer

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by SecretGoldfish

I'm near Bielefeld and around the time frame that you gave, the ISS did indeed pass over here, so I would bet that what you saw was the ISS, too.

must be some way to plot it's location at a specific date/time though

There is an awesome website that I use to see when the ISS and other satellites are going to be passing over my area. it is called Heaven's Above. All you have to do is put in the coordinates of where you'll be more or less standing and it will be able to tell you exactly where to look to see other things passing over.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I saw it! I live in the south of Sweden by the coast. I was wondering the same thing. Thought about the ISS..

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
This is a thread about something similar in Australia last week, have a look and see if the descriptions match what you saw
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
yes, definitely the ISS . . . it just went over germany again a few minutes ago, looked exactly like what i saw about an hour earlier (just on a slightly different transit).

took my daughter outside to see it . . . now she wants to be an astronaut! i love my girl.

thanks for all the help, and for providing the link so i could note that it was heading back this way.

the ISS is a very cool sight to catch.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12voltz
This is a thread about something similar in Australia last week, have a look and see if the descriptions match what you saw
www.abovetopsecret.com...

yes, sounds exactly like that . . . even the 'slight wobble' . . . i thought i was seeing things

what would cause the wobble? i'm guessing it's some kind of artifact, lensing or something, not a real wobble. but dang, it sure looked like there were little, abrupt, changes in course

top topics

join