It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Science historian cracks the 'Plato code'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Science historian cracks the 'Plato code'

www.physorg.com

A science historian at The University of Manchester has cracked "The Plato Code" - the long disputed secret messages hidden in the great philosopher's writings.

Plato was the Einstein of Greece's Golden Age and his work founded Western culture and science. Dr Jay Kennedy's findings are set to revolutionise the history of the origins of Western thought.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
This article is a real howler! Here's some of "Plato's" supposed "encrypted" wisdom: “Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.”

“Ignorance: the root of all evil.”

“Only the dead have seen the end of war.”

“The price good men pay for indifference to publiuc affairs is to be ruled by evil men.”

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”

I mean c'mon, we get this crap from fortune cookies! This is just the Bible Code for the city-slicker set, the purpose of which will probably be revealed at the end of 2012 - the elevation of science to religion.

www.physorg.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 30-6-2010 by jcrash]

+8 more 
posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
debunking your own thread, that takes class.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by IvanObanion

^^^^^ This

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by jcrash

I thought the article said they were quotes from Plato, not necessarily that they were deciphered quotes?

I think at least one of them is normally attributed to Plato but I can't be bothered to google at the mo.

[edit on 30/6/2010 by LightFantastic]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maddogkull

Originally posted by IvanObanion

^^^^^ This

I agree that was too funny!

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by jcrash

Those were not from the decoded pieces... Those were already known to have been spoken by Plato.

Also... The reason why we get them in fortune cookies today, is because they were once the cornerstone of wisdom.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jcrash

He was obviously A highly intelligent man for his time. And whatever your rambling on about 2012 and the bible has nothing to do with your thread. They are talking about deciphering A philosopher's works. People still are quoting this man to this day. Does that not say something to you? Good find but improperly poor handling of it.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

Also... The reason why we get them in fortune cookies today, is because they were once the cornerstone of wisdom.

Exactly.

I know we're not supposed to write short messages simply expressing (dis)agreement but I think this one really bears repating.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by QuestionTheGovernment
People still are quoting this man to this day.

Actually it's more than that. I don't remember who it was but whoever it was s/he said it very well:

"The history of philosophy is a series of footnotes to Plato."

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I've always felt as if all the universe was a product of mathematical synchronicity..That would be the only way to explain the extreme "coincidences"
in the world, I'm glad that this was finally deciphered

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Plato and Aristotle formed the basis of almost all modern thought, and influenced many economists, politicians and philosophers since. Arguably had just as big of an impact on society as Christ did. FYI the Quotes are not what has been deciphered.

[edit on 30-6-2010 by yellowcard]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Well, whether this is new or previously known about, I thank you for bringing it to our attention. And I do not consider it to be "mere" fortune cookie fodder. If more people took this stuff seriously... ahh whats the use? I especially like the first one. Everyone has a "why me?" or "what about me?" attitude. But we all share the same fears & burdens and whatnot, and no matter how "bad" you may think you have it, there are always other people who`ve got it worse...and they probly arent complaining half as loudly as you are.. shame on you! lol just kidding, but seriously...

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   
As others noted, those quotes at the end of the article are not from the encrypted part of the work, those are some very famous quotes made by him (or his characters, perhaps) in his various dialogues.

Plato's dialogues, usually depicting Socrates as his protagonist, are the cornerstone of all Western thought and philosophy. His writing stands at the beginning of Western Civilization and has defined it ever since. These few quotes listed here, while nice, are basically like a drop of water compared to the vast ocean of ideas contained in his works. You are free to knock his work all you want, but you're really just knocking one of the founding thinkers who has defined and continues to define what we as a world are all about. Yeah, he's that important.

I studied four of his dialogues in college: The Republic, The Euthyphro (about piety), The Charmides (on temperance) and The Laches (on courage). The Euthyphro came first and was something of a defining study in my young life. It opened up my mind as to how much was humanly possible when it came to poetic and philosophical creation and expression. Even though we studied it more as a work of philosophy, the artistry with which he created the work probably impressed me even more.

[edit on 7/1/2010 by LifeInDeath]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by AdAstra

I would go further than just the history of philosophy. He was also the worlds first eminent psychologist. He developed the concept of the superego, the ego and the id long before Freud. (his tripartite soul) He still has probably the best political model ever designed, (though most refuse it in its entirety and only take parts) And his philosophical wisdom is only partially understood by most, which is why we have the series of footnotes. Many read him, and them later have an Ah Ha moment, and think it must be them who discovered it, but it wasnt. It was in Plato, but his true brilliance lay in not telling you what to think, but rather writing long dialogues in which he guided you through the process of thinking, so that he never had to give you the truth, once your mind was educated in reasoning, it was self evident to you, and, if you were unable to see it in the moment you read him, you could allow yourself the illusion of being the discoverer of it.

I was excited when I saw this, I had just posted about a puzzle from Platos Timeaus in another thread, and I was hopeful that this was the magical answer for it. Alas, not. But, still interesting.

Plato is my homie, and I am always overjoyed to see him in the public mind.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by jcrash

the elevation of science to religion.

Making science into a religion would send it backwards, not elevate it. Religion is where the supernatural is offered as the explanation for everything we hadn't answered. Lightning, disease, morality, the world itself, life - all of these, in primitive times, were offered supernatural explanations because the ancients had insufficient information. They couldn't have known better.

But we can, knowledge is a click away on the internet. Science becoming a religion would be a step backwards because science is already better than religion in explaining the world around us.

Anyway as for Plato's code I'm glad to hear it was finally cracked. I just wish that these cryptic philosophers would be a bit more, well, obvious. I'm sure Plato had a chuckle at the expense of future generations when he encrypted his works but I doubt he expected it to take this long for us to figure it out.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull

Making science into a religion would send it backwards, not elevate it. Religion is where the supernatural is offered as the explanation for everything we hadn't answered. Lightning, disease, morality, the world itself, life - all of these, in primitive times, were offered supernatural explanations because the ancients had insufficient information. They couldn't have known better.

Actually, the ancients did know better. Some of them. The reason religion was created was to give the benefits of the science of the time to the masses who were unable to understand it conceptually, either because of lack of education, or natural dullness of mind.

"God" is the word they used for "nature." "Religion" is a way to get people to make the most of the naturally selective laws, (and codify health and hygiene recommendations) as "commands of God." And they genuinely were, if you understand "god" as being synonymous with nature, not something other than it.

Nothing much has changed. Today we have a minority who are able to reason a certain way, and choose rationally, and a majority who need "rules" to follow, laws, religious commands, etc. The kicker is, not all the scientists are exempt from the latter group.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Science and Religon aren't as far apart as TPTB would like us to think they are, IMO, the very foundation of our class based society comes from the splitting of these two fundamentals.
If you have a RATS subscription, check this thread out...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull

Anyway as for Plato's code I'm glad to hear it was finally cracked. I just wish that these cryptic philosophers would be a bit more, well, obvious. I'm sure Plato had a chuckle at the expense of future generations when he encrypted his works but I doubt he expected it to take this long for us to figure it out.

One last thing, I doubt Plato was chuckling. And I seriously doubt he expected that it would be "cracked" in the sense that everyone would understand it. It wasnt meant for everyone, but only those who had a natural leaning towards philosophy. And that doesnt mean everyone who made a career out of it. He had a great deal of scorn for psuedo philosophers.

You dont need a code to understand Plato's hidden messages. Its cool that there is one. But they are actually in there in more way than one, if your mind is actually reasoning through the dialogues rather than just reading them, you will come to the same conclusions, without needing to see them written explicitly.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Soo...Any of this deciphered material available to the public?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join