It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warning To Gulf Volunteers: Almost Every Cleanup Worker From The 1989 Valdez Disaster Is Now Dead

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Benzene is a natural constituent of crude oil

Benzene is a colorless and highly flammable liquid with a sweet smell and a relatively high melting point. it is a known carcinogen

Benzene Health effects

Benzene targets liver, kidney, lung, heart and the brain and can cause DNA strand breaks

[edit on 2-7-2010 by Zeta Reticulan]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Attention all Gulf coast residents & clean-up workers:

Please read this thread about how Vietnam soldiers were encouraged to swim in Agent Orange (Dioxin) polluted water.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Best wishes, everyone!

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
FOlks are getting off topic here. This is a hoax. The video is nowhere on the CNN website. There's never been a proper study on the Valdez cleanup workers health but I've found articles that mentioned 3000 of them recently this 5000 recently that. So most being dead is a lie. And to whomever asked about the source on there never being a class action suit filed by the cleanup workers against exxon, the Anchorage times. Or a simple google will give you numerous sources.

But this has been proven a hoax and needs to be moved to the hoax forum.

I emailed CNN about the video and I will hopefuully have an answer shortly so we can put this to rest.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
"In 1989, 1,811 workers filed compensation claims, primarily for respiratory system damage, according to National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health."

According to the 1999 article below, 1,811 workers filed WC claims the same year of the Exxon Valdez Oil Spill. The same year!

The article also lists some other wonderful things associated with the spill. Gotta love the people who downplay the negative effects from this highly toxic poison. Must have gotten some stuck in their brains to advocate such a moronic position.

arcticcircle.uconn.edu...

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
It's amazing to me how these sensationalist headlines attract stars and flags, despite their total disconnect with reality.

Almost Every Cleanup Worker From The 1989 Valdez Disaster Is Now Dead?

Nonsense.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by DrJay1975

Careful, their gonna say you claim it's okay to drink a big glass o crude cuz you pointed out the headline is a lie.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Yeah I know how this works. I point out the headline is a lie. Now I'm a disinfo agent, don't care about the gulf, and don't think the fumes are dangerous. ANd I love in New Orleans lol.

The fact is the story is a ball faced lie, a hoax. Not sure what kind of scumbag would encourage people not to help cleanup the worst ecological disaster in american hsitory. You gotta be a real piece of crap to do that.

To the OP. Why would you post an obvious lie and encourage people not to help cleanup the gulf? What's your agenda? Are you a west coast fisherman trying to put the guys down here out of business? Or are you just too lazy to research your info and instantly believe any garbage you read?

To the people that starred and flagged and believe this tripe. Are you to lazy to do your own research and do you simply believe everything you read because it blends with your agenda?

Facts are facts. Most of these folks are alive and well. Shame on ya'll for buying into this bunk without so much as a simple search of CNN or the RFK foundation website.

HOAX

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by monkeySEEmonkeyDO

This should be a HUGE heads-up for anyone who wants to volunteer to clean up. Maybe this is why the government is making everyone wear restricting suits, and refusing to let anyone in that area... Either way, it's going to affect most of us Americans one way or another.
More frome the article:

In fact, the expert that CNN had on said that the life expectancy for those who worked to clean up the Exxon Valdez oil spill is only about 51 years. Considering the fact that the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico is now many times worse than the Exxon Valdez disaster, are you sure you want to volunteer to be on a cleanup crew down there? After all, the American Dream is not to make big bucks for a few months helping BP clean up their mess and then drop dead 20 or 30 years early.
i wouldn't trust the government to tell you the truth

ww w.businessinsider.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 11/26/07 by jerry3741]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
WHy is it so hard for folks to figure out this is garbage. 11,000+ cleanup workers, most transient, were all tracked down and a determination was made if they were dead or alive? Come on. That in itself isn't possible.

Merle Savage is selling 2 books which make the claim. She said, "I found out about toxic chemicals and detoxed myself with a lemon juice concoction," she said. "And I sleep on a blanket with magnets in it. It gets your system back in shape."

Uh yeah ok. Oozes credibility.

The average lifespan of an alaskan native is 7 years shorter than the rest of americans.

It was also said the lifespan of the cleanup workers was 51 years old. Sonce this was 20 years ago I doubt old folks cleaned up the spills. So those who died probably died young. And when factoring in a lifespan they aren't counting those who are still alive so the statistics are skewed. A proper estimate can't be given until they are all dead.

The dispersants used for the valdez were different than the ones used in the gulff. The corexit shoreline cleaner contained several "deadly" chemicals:

- 2-butoxyethanol: In your home, you find this in Windex and Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner.
- Propylene glycol: Found in Avalon Organics hand lotion, Right Guard Sport antiperspirant, and Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe cake mix.
- Dioctyl sodium sulfosuccinate: Found in Ex-Lax stool softener, De Flea pet shampoo, and Physicians Formula face cream

Remember the sites motto. Deny ignorance. No link on the cnn site. no written piece by cnn. Impossible to trackdown 11000 transients. Average age of death is a lie. Fact-at least 3000 of the workers are still alive. Probably closer to 10k still alive, but you can't track em all down.

Research people. I still haven't gotten a response from cnn.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I don't know if this was posted already, maybe elsewhere, but this article and video was dated today:

Critics call Valdez cleanup a warning for Gulf workers

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
New BP Data Show 20% of Gulf Spill Responders Exposed to Chemical That Sickened Valdez Workers

In an under-the-radar release of new test results for its Gulf of Mexico oil spill workers, BP PLC is reporting potentially hazardous exposures to a now-discontinued dispersant chemical -- a substance blamed for contributing to chronic health problems after the Exxon Valdez cleanup -- among more than 20 percent of offshore responders.

www.nytimes.com...

[edit on 9-7-2010 by burntheships]

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join