It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warning To Gulf Volunteers: Almost Every Cleanup Worker From The 1989 Valdez Disaster Is Now Dead

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by monkeySEEmonkeyDO

Almost Every Cleanup Worker From The 1989 Exxon Valdez Disaster Is Now Dead

He he! What baloney bull caka!

Well, I was there, I'm not dead and don't plan to be. I worked on the waterline from day 7 of the Exxon Valdez spill to day 12 saving otters and other sea life. And I don't know anyone else that worked along side me who's passed on. So I think this source is smoking something.!Where on earth did these bizarre statistics come from?

For goodness sake, go work on the spill if you want to and if you don't, stay at home and watch Fox News, but don't let this report influence your decision!

And BTW, the Exxon Valdez spill occurred in much more confined waters than the gulf with what I would consider to be much greater risk to humans and wildlife because of wildlife concentration of more critical species.

[edit on 1/7/10 by plumranch]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

...and if nobody is willing to work to clean it up? What then?

That can go both ways...If nobody is willing to fight for our country? What then?

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
this is crazy! and you guys are right, this is definately the reason they are keeping the public away. When the oil and dispersants wash ashore, people need to get the hell away. i swear this is just getting worse and worse every moment. I think it is our job here at ATS to let as many people know about this as possible.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Should I be surprised that no one has mentioned how 'convenient' it would be for foreign troops to be ushered in through the gulf region to enforce martial law in the South.....once the 'citizens' or rather subjects are no longer around to defend themselves, their borders?

Just another piece of the puzzle perhaps.

Perhaps.....

Foresight is before hindsight.

Vision before derision?

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Hate to say it but it seems like any logical person would conclude that everyone in the USA should have free access to healthcare. When the FDA is doing a crappy job, and it's government....who else are you going to blame when you trust that they will put people in front of profits? In order to stay healthy in this world you have to become a freak, when the scientists should be the freaks so no one else has to be. Business make profits from trying to get people sick, it isn't right. There's really a total lack of accountability when it comes to pollution/toxins we're exposed to, that's why it's everyone's problem and we should be letting everyone have healthcare.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Forgive me if this has already been posted. I read your thread title then went straight here; lmrk.org...

This is the material safety data sheet

3. HAZARDS IDENTIFICATION
**EMERGENCY OVERVIEW**
WARNING
Combustible.
Keep away from heat. Keep away from sources of ignition - No smoking. Keep container tightly closed. Do not get
in eyes, on skin, on clothing. Do not take internally. Avoid breathing vapor. Use with adequate ventilation. In case
of contact with eyes, rinse immediately with plenty of water and seek medical advice. After contact with skin, wash
immediately with plenty of soap and water.
Wear suitable protective clothing.
Low Fire Hazard; liquids may burn upon heating to temperatures at or above the flash point. May evolve oxides of
carbon (COx) under fire conditions. May evolve oxides of sulfur (SOx) under fire conditions.

And this cor exit is being applied to the slicks via airplane as well?

Good find OP.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by loveguy

There's a lot of information at this site...two videos you may not have seen and TONS of links VIDEO: The BP "Gulf Syndrome": Benzene and Corexit Poisoning

And yes, military planes are spraying Corexit:

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   
And my opinion?...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Originally posted by smirkley
Work in a factory, and get exposed to some crap and feel weezy,....

Work paving a road in the summer, and get exposed to something and get weezy,...

Work in a repair shop and get exposed and get weezy,.....

Work cleaning up bio hazards or oil soaked beaches,.. and get weezy,....

Get a collage degree and get a air conditioned job in your own cubicle or if you are lucky, your own office.....

It is your choice. Make it YOUR choice.

Work smart.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   
What an excellent way of deterring anyone who may want to help. I guess that should cinch it, shouldn't it? With a maneuver such as this, no one will go down there and ask the essential questions that may need to be addressed, and no one will actually view the extent of the damage created by the spill. Everyone will be too afraid for their own lives to attempt to do what should have already been done since day one.

Oh well, it looks as if the earth will have to suffer even further because humans are more concerned for their immediate future as opposed to the one's that they leave their children and the many generations to come. But hey, as long as we have our entertainment and our stuff, things never quite seem as bad as they probably should...right?

Although this is a very dirty tactic employed by the Mainstream Media and the corporations that own them, the saddest part about it is that it contains quite a bit of merit, despite the tactic being used to maintain control. Breathing those fumes and exposing oneself to the poison in the air could quite possibly be extremely detrimental to the health of a person. So, unfortunately, they're probably correct. Either way, its a damned if you do, or damned even worse if you don't scenario.

Regardless though, after looking at the consequences of both sides of the issue, I feel that things will be far worse, sooner than later, if we don't take action now. By the way, I applaud anyone who chooses to put themselves at risk for the sake of the greater good. You people are absolutely amazing and I bow to the work and effort that you have put in to make our world a better place.

Namaste and Love

[edit on 1-7-2010 by PsychoX42]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I wish the article cited some numbers. Its too easy to say "Almost all of them are dead," and not provide some numbers. Furthermore, the article doesn't bother to explain how involved the deceased had to be to qualify as one of the "vast majority of those who worked to clean up the 1989 Exxon Valdez"?! And what was the average age of those who died, that'd be important...

This article could be a wolf in sheep's clothing...trying, ostensibly, to protect erstwhile cleanup crews from some corporate-made environmental calamity...but I ask, who has from the very beginning seemingly wanted to keep all second and third parties at bay? BP is behind this article! BP doesn't want to pay for what it believes will be ultimately futile cleanup efforts, so they try to scare workers away by creating some phantom illness. That's my theory and I'm sticking by it!

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

...and if nobody is willing to work to clean it up? What then?

Mexicans!

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Well. I was considering on taking a drive out there and seeing what I might be able to help out with. Now, I think I'll pass. Thanks for sharing, OP. Unfortunately, this is probably going to cut what little help we have into almost no help whatsoever. That's just lovely!

Cheers,
Strype

P.S. To understand fully, refer to Psycho's post 2 above mine. His breakdown was superb. Starred, Psycho.

[edit on 1-7-2010 by Strype]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Threadfall

I wish the article cited some numbers. Its too easy to say "Almost all of them are dead," and not provide some numbers. Furthermore, the article doesn't bother to explain how involved the deceased had to be to qualify as one of the "vast majority of those who worked to clean up the 1989 Exxon Valdez"?! And what was the average age of those who died, that'd be important...

Good observation! No one I know is dead from the Exxon Valdez spill cleanup, myself included (I and my colleges were on the front lines at water level). We are all alive and well and going on with our lives.

This article is just an example of off the wall, idiotic journalism.

No one died as far as I know from the Exxon Valdez oil spill and I was there so....?

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I'm just glad Pres. Obama cares more about protecting the American people than protecting big corporations like BP. Those workers don't need respirators. If they did Pres. Obama would force BP to provide them. They are concerned the workers will get heat stroke while wearing those unnecessary respirators. Don't you trust BP and Pres. Obama?

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   
DAMN! i was 14 when i wateched the valdeez spill live on tv. WOW! CNN mostly.
YOu know whats really a slap in the face? Yesterday, a commercia i saw on tv, was a BP clean up, with some joe schmos acting all sincere and innocent. now...here's the kicker. The guy was talking about how we at BP are doing all we can to clean the oil up, making the world a healthy place for all...their was not ONE, NOT ONE image of oil tainted water. It showed pictures of guys in water gear with hoses, a nice beach area with blue water on the horizon in the backgroudn, not one oil coated bird or animal. i was FUMING mad when i saw tha commercia, how dare they. In fact, the commercai video might be on youtube* imma look for it later. i was FUMING mad.
They should have at least showed, the men up to thier ankles in crude, crude soaked birds, fish with crude oozing outta thier gills, and maybe as kicker, an exxon valdeez ship broke in half

Makes on wonder, WHY the workers arnt allowed to wear saftey gear over their faces? this sounds like something outta WWI, when msutard gas was used, only in this scenario, yuodde be courmarshalled for wearing protection...makes NO sense. the gear and sfatey technolgy is thier, but their not allowd to use it? kinda creepy you ask me...
I read an article on an oil engineer forum once, how toxic is auto oil* Thiers this one, guy was a mechanic for many many decades. one day he got skin cancer on his fingers. doctors were baffled. His conclusion and investigating, USD motor oil is highly toxic. its not the oil itself thats toxic, its the bi products of internal engine combusting. after 24 years of not wearing gloves doing oil change, he got skin cancer* i use nitrile goves now, since i do my own*
i had read, natural unrefined crude is highly toxic, but never read any MSDS fact sheets on it. jsut what i read from other oil engineers.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by monkeySEEmonkeyDO

Warning To Gulf Volunteers: Almost Every Cleanup Worker From The 1989 Exxon Valdez Disaster Is Now Dead

ww w.businessinsider.com

Are you sure that you want to help clean up the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico? In a previous article we documented a number of the health dangers from this oil spill that many scientists are warning us of, and now it has been reported on CNN that the vast majority of those who worked to clean up the 1989 Exxon Valdez oil spill in Alaska are now dead. Yes, you read that correctly. Almost all of them are dead.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 30-6-2010 by monkeySEEmonkeyDO]

But DID those people ONLY EVER come into contact with oil during the clean up ie HOW many worked in the oil industry also what ages were these people in 1989 YOU need to know all the FACTS not WHAT the media uses to make a HEADLINE after all the MEDIA would never lie to make a good story WOULD THEY

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by toolstarr

I agree everyone who is offering to help should know this info... although I'm betting some, if not most, would still help out even if it meant taking 20+ years away.

I agree, these guy are literally giving their life for their country and land..... They should be highly respected!!!

Regardless of how you feel about the spill/gusher/crisis, calling these men and women crazy for doing what they're doing or ignorant, or really anything other than brave should be carefully re-thought

While some of them may not know, I'm sure that there are many who know full well the risk they take but can't sit around doing nothing and so they do what they can. I personally feel grateful for their service and wish them home safe

I have family out there as we speak, my uncle and nephew (who is only 17 years old) - they live in the panhandle and are farmers.

I am personally of the belief that clean up efforts are for the most part not going to do a whole lot, but the character in these people is what I admire...... they are the kind of folks you want on your team

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 03:40 AM
link   
I don't want to ruffle feathers here but come on.........

How come members take MSM reports as gospel when it suits their opinions?

How many times have members dissed MSM reports as propoganda and hidden agenda broadcasts, yet when it comes to something close to their opinions its gospel. IMHO this is another agenda set up to deter people from helping out with the clean up, for reasons I do not know but I am betting that money is involved somewhere.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by dragonridr

My only question is how could they possibly know this is there a study done? How large was the sample group what did they die of on coroner reports. Im wondering if there was even a list of people since there was alot of volunteer groups that went up there and help and i doubt they kept lists.

Why is it people believe the worst? Hey lets all jump on the band wagon say its hazardous to clean this up we can have osha restrict it and leave the oil on the beaches. Hmmmm seems like these rush to judgments are counterproductive to me.

I don't have a solid answer to your question, but my guess would be that there were lawsuits filed and clearly the connection made. I'm curious myself..... gonna do some more digging on that question.

As to your second statement - if you watched the video that started this thread you would hear it right from the horses mouth.

I don't think the issue is leaving it on the beaches, but rather protecting those who are picking it up. All this red tape is so screwy........ They need volunteers yet you can't bring your own respirator?????? Even motorcyclists can choose whether or not they want to wear a helmet - women can choose to have a baby, or abort it - but something as simple as choosing to bring along something that will protect your lungs and suddenly there's no choice - geezzee!!!

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 04:35 AM
link   
This sounds like business as usual , disposable workers. Was just wondering if the clean up workers are made to sign a waiver if they get sick or develop health issues from the job site? I know many job sites require you sign a waiver that said it was on the employee if they get sick.. as i have worked on jobs with carcinogens and we had to sign a waiver however he had to wear respirators. I needed the money like everyone else. But if BP is not regulating the safety of these clean up workers JUST LIKE IT DID ON THE RIG...

That raises more red flags..... this is just madness

I feel like im trapped in bizaroworld or a bad episode of the outer limits

[edit on 1-7-2010 by Unknown Soldier]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join