It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warning To Gulf Volunteers: Almost Every Cleanup Worker From The 1989 Valdez Disaster Is Now Dead

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+45 more 
posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Warning To Gulf Volunteers: Almost Every Cleanup Worker From The 1989 Exxon Valdez Disaster Is Now Dead

ww w.businessinsider.com

Are you sure that you want to help clean up the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico? In a previous article we documented a number of the health dangers from this oil spill that many scientists are warning us of, and now it has been reported on CNN that the vast majority of those who worked to clean up the 1989 Exxon Valdez oil spill in Alaska are now dead. Yes, you read that correctly. Almost all of them are dead.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 30-6-2010 by monkeySEEmonkeyDO]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
This should be a HUGE heads-up for anyone who wants to volunteer to clean up. Maybe this is why the government is making everyone wear restricting suits, and refusing to let anyone in that area... Either way, it's going to affect most of us Americans one way or another.
More frome the article:

In fact, the expert that CNN had on said that the life expectancy for those who worked to clean up the Exxon Valdez oil spill is only about 51 years. Considering the fact that the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico is now many times worse than the Exxon Valdez disaster, are you sure you want to volunteer to be on a cleanup crew down there? After all, the American Dream is not to make big bucks for a few months helping BP clean up their mess and then drop dead 20 or 30 years early.

ww w.businessinsider.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I can't believe this thread has no posts yet. It would be interesting to see what the official cause of death was for everyone, and to know how many are alive today, and what they did differently.

I agree everyone who is offering to help should know this info... although I'm betting some, if not most, would still help out even if it meant taking 20+ years away.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
The cleaners are dead?
I fear for the people who call that coast line home!

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
video from link:

nice post
i wont be surprised if they don't tell anybody about the extent of the hazards when volunteering in the gulf. just look at the 9/11 responders and how they weren't told about the toxins in the air and were not given the proper equipment to protect them while FEMA walked around in hazmat suits. if you're going down their to help with the clean up, make sure you do the necessary research on how to protect your health before going down there.

[edit on 6/30/2010 by HistoryIsOnlyHisStory]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Whoa. That was only 20 years ago. Alarming indeed.

No wonder Kenneth Feinberg, the Gulf Spill Independent Claims Fund administrator put in charge of the $20B by Obama, said this a few weeks ago on the PBS NewsHour.

Near the end he mentions that they're keeping in mind future illness claims, as didn't really happen properly with 9/11. It's a good thing I guess, that they're thinking that far ahead...lesson learned.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Is this the reason that BP will not allow workers to wear respirators? Make sense if they do not want survivors workers to tell people in the future how sinful BP was (is). If history is not properly written at the time and written later in the future having no survivors is a plus so that the Bull that BP marketing writes in adverts and history books won't be challenged those who were there....

How clever is this then....

Maybe that is why the government doesn't look after the Viet Nam Vets.... Now veterans of Afghanistan and Iraq!!!!

Edited to add the follow idea! Maybe BP the volunteers and workers to die so they cant get sued in when they get ill in the future!!!!

[edit on 6/30/2010 by IceHappy]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
So, in about 15 years when the health effects have piled up, who will pay to comfort the dying? BP? Uncle Sam? Or do we expect to bankrupt a bunch of widows to be?

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I saw that video last night. Really disturbing. I was waiting for the 'its only oil you crazy fearmongers' posters to show up. Perhaps this will be the convincing evidence to wake them up. Just like the OP, my concerns are with the points made in the video. These spill can't be taken lightly, especially one of this magnitude.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
It's also posted in the thread below and much more detail.

Former Valdez Cleanup Worker Warns of Toxic Dangers in the Gulf

Nice Find though! s&f

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by IceHappy

Please provide a link to the story that says BP is or was not allowing people to wear respirators.

The original story that came out was that BP was not allowing some cleanup workers to wear their OWN respirators. Workers were to wear only the respirators provided by BP, which as it happened were in short supply at the time.

If you have heard otherwise, I would appreciate knowing the source.

reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Did you see my links above?

[edit on 30-6-2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

yes, thank you. I caught it after i hit reply (i had this open in a tab for a little bit while life happened).

There will be millions of claims. "Class action"

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Yes, exactly. Well let's see if they put their money where their mouth it...both BP and the government. I'm thinking not, based on Obama's apparent new trend in providing emergency relief funds for disasters. There was a thread (and news on that this week). I think it involved Connecticut.

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity

Yes, exactly. Well let's see if they put their money where their mouth it...both BP and the government. I'm thinking not, based on Obama's apparent new trend in providing emergency relief funds for disasters. There was a thread (and news on that this week). I think it involved Connecticut.

My $0.02:

My dad died from asbestosis. He got it from working on the construction of a hospital, ironically enough, back in the mid 70s. He died in 2000.

Since then, the lawyers talked to mom about the class action lawsuit, and she was brought on board. She almost immediately began recieving checks. But the total was below 20k. Why? Almost all the companies had either gone out of business, or had legal protection for one reason or another (GP is one of the latter).

My dads medical bills for the last 6 months of his life (that is how long he lived after the first symptoms) were around 250k.

Do the math.

Some will be taken care of. Most will be screwed.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Well I have 2 friends that are working in the Clean up here in MS and they have Verified to me over a month ago that if they wear them on their own they will be fired on the spot. (See my previous post for the link to the thread.)

I have also went through BP's required training last week as a first responder and they told us in the class if they were required they will issues them. I had to ask the question what if the workers were to wear them on their own?
The instructor informed me that they would not be allowed too because OSHA requires a fit test to ensure that it fits properly and BP will make that happen if it's needed.

They told us through out the 40 hour HAZWOPER class that BP will make that decision based on EPA data.

Just like they did for 9/11 and we all know how that worked out fot the people.

So Government and BP are all in on this. Let the workers die faster so there are few living witnesses.

Mad yet? You should be.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
It's unreal

Imagine the poor working guy talking to himself:

-wow ! Its good pay check
-im gonna buy my self a new car
-should i wear a mask
-im not sure i should do this...being here
-something's not right...

And those BP corp guys lie and deceiet to keep their sanity sound...

shoot them and drop them in a bulldozed hole

i curse them with my entire being and more

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
So, in about 15 years when the health effects have piled up, who will pay to comfort the dying? BP? Uncle Sam? Or do we expect to bankrupt a bunch of widows to be?

It appears to be like many of the other 'soft kill' methods. They can't outright murder millions of people without repercussions, but if they expose them to chemicals (i.e flouride, chlorine, hydrocarbons, mutated viruses, contaminated vaccines, ignored 'superfund sites', acid rain, dispersants, MSG, aspartame, sucralose, radiation, industrial solvents, etc) that create debilitating health problems and shorten their life span. It's a plausibly deniable crime they've been getting away with for years.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Well,I call BS on this.

I know personally a number of people who cleaned up the oil from that and they are not dead.

Of course people that were involved have died since then.

People NOT involved have died since then too.

This is another BS article.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Yep your right.

Are you sure that you want to help clean up the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico? In a previous article we documented a number of the health dangers from this oil spill that many scientists are warning us of, and now it has been reported on CNN that the vast majority of those who worked to clean up the 1989 Exxon Valdez oil spill in Alaska are now dead. Yes, you read that correctly. Almost all of them are dead.

In fact, the expert that CNN had on said that the life expectancy for those who worked to clean up the Exxon Valdez oil spill is only about 51 years. Considering the fact that the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico is now many times worse than the Exxon Valdez disaster, are you sure you want to volunteer to be on a cleanup crew down there? After all, the American Dream is not to make big bucks for a few months helping BP clean up their mess and then drop dead 20 or 30 years early.

Read more: www.businessinsider.com... xfViN1

www.businessinsider.com...

I say we send all the head honchos of BP out to do the clean up.

What do you say?

As sort of like a punishment to breaking the law of ruining our planet.

Maybe this would teach their souls what being too greedy really means.

[edit on 30-6-2010 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by monkeySEEmonkeyDO

...and if nobody is willing to work to clean it up? What then?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join