It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ACLU mounts first legal challenge to no-fly list

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   

ACLU mounts first legal challenge to no-fly list

www.washingtonpost.com

The American Civil Liberties Union plans to sue the U.S. government Wednesday on behalf of 10 citizens or legal permanent residents who have been placed on a no-fly list and, in some cases, stranded abroad.

In the suit, the ACLU accuses the government of violating the plaintiffs' constitutional rights.

The number of names placed on the list has increased significantly since the attempted bombing of a Detroit-bound aircraft on Christmas Day, U.S. officials said. Some Americans have been
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I can't even fathom this "no-fly" list with American names, often of children or otherwise law-abiding citizens. I certainly can't understand it when we fail to do anything about armed terrorists crossing our southern border at will. What's the point of the no-fly list when fail miserably on other areas of security? This whole airport security apparatus is a joke, if you ask me.

With that being said, I don't understand why this no-fly list is so important to those in power. How are they benefitting from this? How does it forward their agenda at all, besides oppressing people? If TPTB aren't really concerned with our security, as they have proven time and time again, then why push so strongly for this list?

Regardless, I'm completely behind the ACLU in this lawsuit.

--airspoon

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

I am afraid the rules upon rules being created have really only one reason CONTROL control the flock of sheep when they get use to this control we will add a little more to them till we have all the control .

I am In my pessimistic mood today .

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Sadly, on a very staunch Republican/Anti-Islam website I saw the following which was trying to discredit the ACLU:

National Terror Alert

Despite billions of dollars spent on securing our nation’s airports since the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, experts say terrorists are still testing and targeting aviation security because an attack could kill a lot of people, undermine public confidence and cause significant economic damage. “It remains an incredibly high target for terrorists,” Erroll Southers, President Obama’s first choice to head the Transportation Security Administration, said. Southers had to withdraw his name from consideration due to political reasons. “It’s still vulnerable… and it would be a decisive economic blow to our country.”

Granted, I don't always side with the ACLU, or think their human sometimes, do people like this TSA Head really get paid to say this? Who are these experts? What makes them think that there is always such a huge threat to our aviation security? It sounds like fear-mongering tactics.

new topics

top topics

join