It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arizona UFO June 27, 2010. A simple lesson how not to video tape a UFO

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   

On Sunday, June 27th, 2010, as my girlfriend and I drove through the desert some 10 miles north of Phoenix, I noticed a bright light zooming alongside the road. It was interesting enough to warrant a picture so I quickly grabbed my camera from the backseat.

I don't know why exactly, but I felt compelled to follow the light. I asked my girlfriend to turn the car around so we could get a closer look.

We pulled over on the side of the road so I could try for some better footage.

What happened next was truly remarkable to us. This bright, flashing, spinning object proceeded to put on a little demonstration for us before finally disappearing behind a mountain.

We guessed as to what it might have been, but we are still quite unsure as to what exactly the object was.

I am not a UFO conspiracy theorist. I don't read UFO websites or frequent UFO meetings, but I cannot explain what I was able to film. It is, ultimately, an Unidentified Flying Object- until someone claims otherwise

So if you are ever in the desert and see a UFO that seems really small and dips below the horizon just make sure you roll the window down to rule out the possibility of light reflecting off your window. Or if you want to make a fake i guess that would be an easy way to do it.
3 easy steps

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by zaiger
So if you are ever in the desert and see a UFO that seems really small and dips below the horizon just make sure you roll the window down to rule out the possibility of light reflecting off your window. Or if you want to make a fake i guess that would be an easy way to do it.

Would the window reflection explain the way the passing car blocks the view of the UFO at 1:37 in the video? If you think it would, you'll have to explain the window reflection theory a little more because my understanding of a window reflection from a light source behind the camera is that it would be unaffected by a passing car in front of the camera on the other side of the window glass.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Would the window reflection explain the way the passing car blocks the view of the UFO at 1:37 in the video?

They turn the light or stop it from being reflected off the window...As you can see around the 1:30 mark it flicks on and off randomy. At the start of the video you can see his car radio floating in the sky (must be the mothership) when he zooms in to see the ufo there is another light next to it. Before the :47 It is in front of all the trees that should be in between the trees and cam.
Explain to me how after the car passes the UFO dissapears completely then "reappears" infront of the tree in the backround.

[edit on 30-6-2010 by zaiger]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by zaiger
They turn the light or stop it from being reflected off the window...

I don't think so. there are multiple frames during the one second when the timer shows 1:37. I took 4 screencaps to show it:

1. The UFO is clearly there in front of the car at 1:37-full intensity

2. The UFO is blocked precisely when the car passes also at 1:37

3. I think this frame may show the UFO PARTIALLY blocked by the car. The position and intensity would be right for that but I can't rule out that something else may be partially blocking it too. It's not at full intensity so SOMETHING is blocking it partially, I'm guessing possibly the car? And this is STILL at 1:37. Timing a reflected light this precisely would be nearly impossible, though doing it in CG would be possible.

4. After the car has passed the full intensity is again visible.

The timing is just too perfect to turn the light on and off to create this effect. Not only that, but the light winking on and off is consistent with the tree blockages earlier in the video. I had to download the video and play it in slow motion to confirm this, I couldn't tell at the normal speed on youtube.

As you can see around the 1:30 mark it flicks on and off randomy.
Yes, I see that, but I suspect it's not random but due to some trees. Look off the far side of the road and you can see some tree trunks over there. This flickering is not unlike the flickering seen earlier when some trees are passing in front of the light.

At the start of the video you can see his car radio floating in the sky (must be the mothership) when he zooms in to see the ufo there is another light next to it.
Can you give me a time index to look for the radio? I missed that. As for the mothership, I've never seen evidence aliens have visited Earth, and this video doesn't say anything alien to me nor does the photographer claim that it does.

Before the :47 It is in front of all the trees that should be in between the trees and cam.

No, I don't think so. Download the video and play it in slow motion. That's the only way I could tell. I downloaded the 720 version.

Explain to me how after the car passes the UFO dissapears completely then "reappears" infront of the tree in the backround.

I'm not sure I can, but my guess is it has something to do with the terrain. It looks like there are some trees in the foreground, then a valley, then a ridge in the background, but it's so dark I'm guessing a little bit. I think it disappears as it goes into the valley.

What I find more puzzling are these images at 55s and 60s. Notice how at 55s the light seems to be partially blocked by some apparent foliage just above the horizon:

So then at 60s when it goes below the horizon I expect it to wink out completely, but it doesn't, it's still visible:

So this is either evidence it's a hoax, or else it's evidence of an optical illusion. I can't rule out the latter. The UFO I think is more distant than that tree because it gets blocked by the tree. In the still image you can see the tree is in the foreground. So I think the illusion is that's a continuous horizon, when in reality it may not be a continuous horizon, but a composite of features at different distances.

I'm not saying I'm 100% convinced this is genuine, but if it's some kind of hoax it's got to be done with CG or something and not a window reflection. But I don't think it's a hoax or a window reflection is my first take on it. I'm still looking at it.

The still photo has some clues, there is at least one blinking light and possibly two:
If it's not a hoax, there's probably a good clue to the identity of the object in the blinking seen in that photo. The blinking really isn't that apparent in the video.

Personally I can't yet rule out a helicopter There have been several occasions I'm aware of where helicopters have been filmed where people couldn't hear the noise. But I'll look at it a little more.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
How not to record a UFO? Were all just very lucky he saw it, and recorded it to begin with! My God what an ingrate? Could you have done any better in the same circumstances and timing the guy had to work with??? Cheers!

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   

---

Hey bucko.. good to see You. I ditto your thoughts re the subject matter in this thread.

Decoy

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I find the light near the top of the frame interesting. It seems to be in about the right location to be Venus but...

When the car is stopped it moves from left to right across the frame. Then, at 1:15 it suddenly disappears. It then reappears a second later. We don't see it again after the camera zooms in on the primary target.

Just before the main one does that spinning thing, it climbs straight up. That's a typical way of putting an aircraft into a spin. It then spins downward, the spinning stops, and it resumes flying. I think there are a couple of people in the field, flying RC planes with LEDs on them.

[edit on 7/1/2010 by Phage]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I didn't really pay much attention to the one at the top of the frame at first. It's not Venus, right? So you think it's a 2nd RC plane? Could be, or could even be a regular plane?

I think RC plane with some flashing LEDs on it sounds like a pretty good explanation for the one that's dancing around and that could explain the spinning motion as you said.

I'm not sure the one at the top of the frame is an RC plane though, there may only be one RC plane in the video if that's what it is.

That still picture he took really helped too because without it, I thought that tree was much further away than it appears to be in the better lit still.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   

I thought about it being a conventional aircraft but the way it disappears for a second (then altogether) makes me think it isn't.

A model plane can turn quickly enough for a headlight to vanish quickly. With a full sized plane I think the light would tend to fade as it turned away from the camera. If it is an RC plane, it's not nearly as "dressed up" as the lower one.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I would agree with you Phage, it seems characteristic of a radio controlled plane. Just because it's fenced off doesn't mean there are houses there. If it was a really quite road in the middle of nowhere i could get a little more excited about it but it moves like an rc plane. I live near a small airfield and they hold a lot of rc sessions there and you always find that they will fly low then lift into the air as high as they can go then drop from the sky almost like they are trying to stall them. When they come back down they tend to spin just like a real acrobatic plane.

October

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by October
I would agree with you Phage, it seems characteristic of a radio controlled plane.

That's my take on it and you guys beat me to it.

Yet another blurry, out of focus "UFO" video. It's amazing how much attention these things get....

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer
Yet another blurry, out of focus "UFO" video. It's amazing how much attention these things get....

Actually this one seems to be more in focus than many. I think he's up against the limitations of the equipment in this one, whereas in many it's so out of focus it's a limitation of the camera operator rather than the camera.

Originally posted by Phage
A model plane can turn quickly enough for a headlight to vanish quickly. With a full sized plane I think the light would tend to fade as it turned away from the camera. If it is an RC plane, it's not nearly as "dressed up" as the lower one.
Good observation, that does tend to rule out conventional. There's no indication of cloud cover which might cause that.

But if it is another RC I'm not sure if it's a turn that makes it wink out. It looks like the light on the left (below) might have a slower blink cycle in addition to the faster blink cycle, unless it's highly directional and that's why it appears so suddenly during the turn:

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

Actually this one seems to be more in focus than many. I think he's up against the limitations of the equipment in this one, whereas in many it's so out of focus it's a limitation of the camera operator rather than the camera.

This object is not in focus at all, hence why this remains a "UFO". This is simply another video of a blurry blob of light dancing around sourced to a self-professed non-"ufologist". This video wreaks of hoaxiness, from the video itself all the way to the urban-legendy write-up about the "incident".

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
If you look closely it looks to be balls of light and flashing, I have seen similar things over the Chesapeake Bay and Im positive what I saw was not plane (there was a cluster of the lights, it was colorful, stayed in the same spot most of the time and would appear and disappear) - I wasnt trippin either because I was with 2 friends. Only know thing it compared to is ball lighting, but the colors and duration and movement make me doubt that what it was. This video is very similar to what I saw, and real or not its definitely not a reflection. When I first looked at this thread I honestly thought the OP wast trying to make fun of debunkers with the channel changer explanation, then I read it and was "oh, hes serious". But as Ive said in other posts, I think many "paranormal" phenomena is real and can be explain through sciences we don't yet understand. You dont have to believe in green aliens, but please be open to the fact that we dont understand everything, just because you dont know how to explain it doesnt mean its a hoax...

[edit on 1-7-2010 by CREAM]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
About 30 seconds into the video it becomes painfully obvious to me that this is an RC plane or other MAN MADE flying object.

I lived near a large park for several years with a wide open expanse of grass where this group of guys would fly their little stunt planes and what not. What you see there is almost an exact recreation of I saw outside my window for years.

Im sorry its not ET. Its just a toy...a pretty cool one though.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   

This object is not in focus at all, hence why this remains a "UFO". This is simply another video of a blurry blob of light dancing around sourced to a self-professed non-"ufologist". This video wreaks of hoaxiness, from the video itself all the way to the urban-legendy write-up about the "incident".
It depends on what you mean by focus. If you put the camera on manual focus and tried to adjust the focus, there are some points in the video where I don't think you could get it any more in focus. That means it's as good as it gets and not really out of focus at those times, though it may lose focus at points.

The larger problem is the resolution. There's just not enough pixels of resolution to tell what the object is even when it's magnified. So we have to guess what it is by the behavior.

I really didn't see any evidence of hoaxiness. Just someone who is curious, decided to film something they didn't understand, and shared it with other people. I think a lot of UFO sightings happen something like this, except we don't always get to see the video. Sometimes all we have are stories about mysterious behaviors of the UFO.

Originally posted by CREAM
This video is very similar to what I saw, and real or not its definitely not a reflection.

But as Ive said in other posts, I think many "paranormal" phenomena is real and can be explain through sciences we don't yet understand.
I think this object is probably real though I'm only about 95% certain. It looks genuine enough to me. And I can understand how some people might think it's paranormal if they never watched RC planes before. But in this case at least, it can probably be explained by things we do understand, like RC planes.

If what you saw looked similar, maybe you also saw RC planes?

I noticed of all the possibilities the photographer listed at the end for what it might be, he didn't even list RC plane as a possibility. I'm not sure he even considered it.

Originally posted by noisemedia
I lived near a large park for several years with a wide open expanse of grass where this group of guys would fly their little stunt planes and what not. What you see there is almost an exact recreation of I saw outside my window for years.
You've got more experience watching them than I have in that case, I've seen them a few times and I agree the maneuvers I see appears to be within the capability of an RC plane. Some of the factors about the lighting and terrain provide some interesting and confusing illusions, but nothing that says it's not a real video.

[edit on 1-7-2010 by Arbitrageur]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by zaiger

Zaiger.....

I don't think we can exclude an RC plane.

However, without a clearer video we'll never know for 100% certain what it is.

You know.....

You'd think if it was an RC plane, the witnesses could have moved close enough to confirm that.

Regarding any noise made by an RC plane.....

On the one hand, the stupid music killed any chance we had of hearing anything.

On the other hand, I've spent a lot of time watching RC motorised planes / kites at night because they fly them all the time near 1 of my favourite restaurants in Singapore (yeah.....life's tough!
) & we watch them during dinner.

The lightweight RC motorised kites make almost no noise at all.

I few weeks ago I found a video of that location at night during one of their flying sessions. I'll see if I can find it again.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
wow nice find.. I doubt that its a reflection because it doesn't move with the car or look like its on the window.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I'm going to pitch in, and say I think Phage has something, here...one thought I first had was an R/C airplane.

When I lived in Phoenix, my nearest R/C flying field was out on Cave Creek Road, north of Phoenix. Operated by the club Sun Valley Flyers.

Here's their website, you can click on their "Map to Flying Site" link, and you can go to Google, and look too, from street view off Cave Creek:

www.sunvalleyfliers.com...

Also, in other suburbs of Phoenix, like in Tempe/Mesa, I'm sure there are other R/C club flying sites...should be easy to search online, and see if there's a visual match to the video's terrain, trees, etc.

Would be a heckuva lot easier if we knew what highway they were on, though.

[edit on 7 July 2010 by weedwhacker]

new topics

top topics

join