It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope slams cardinal who exposed abuse cover-up

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Pope slams cardinal who exposed abuse cover-up

www.sfgate.com

The Vatican on Monday issued an unprecedented rebuke of a top cardinal who had accused the retired Vatican No. 2 of blocking clerical sex abuse investigations, publicly dressing down a man who had been praised for his criticism of church abuse cover-ups.

The silencing of Cardinal Christoph Schoenborn, the archbishop of Vienna and long considered a papal contender, drew heated criticism from clerical abuse victims. They said the Vatican should be honoring Schoenborn, not publicly humiliating
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Typical and hardly surprising in the least. This should send a clear message to other priests and church officials that you shouldn't do what's right if it makes the church look bad. What on Earth are they thinking? How do everyday Catholics not see things like this... or is it that they just don't care?

For well over 1000 years, the Catholic Church has done some pretty evil things, yet they still seem to have a large following even though they have been proven to be wrong over and over again. What gives? If they haven't changed their evil behavior after thousands of years, then they probably aren't going to change anytime soon. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to come to that conclusion. War, forced conversions, greed, tyranny, rape, oppression and now child sexual abuse, yet they are still alive and kicking. What's even more crazy, is that they have been caught red-handed for each of these "offenses". Could you imagine any other institution with the same record?

--airspoon

www.sfgate.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Come on now man! OBVIOUSLY the man was in the wrong by letting the people know about the abuses being covered up. HUMILIATION is the only thing that can make this right and make this POS change his ways. We wouldnt want people to loose fait in the church now would we? How would they line the walls of their private bank vaults?

I believe only about %5 of churches are around for the RIGHT reasons. The other %95 are thinking with their check books and wallets. That is the exact reason I do NOT participate in church. You dont have to go to church to have faith or to believe. People should start realizing this. It would make this planet a little better.

Beware the wolf in sheeps clothing.........

MessOnTheFED!

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

Hi airspoon,

I only can speak about the Catholics I know here in the west of Germany. Indeed, most are just Catholics, because their family always was and they think, you have to be Catholic, your children must have that nice day, when they get the first holy communion, you have to pay the church tax (which they take from your loan over here), but it is not necessary to visit church, despite on Christmas or so.

Outside in the villages it is more important to be Catholic. Neighbours could talk about you, if you are not. You have to appear at every fiest and pay some donations now and then. And you have to be present in the church on sundays - at least one of your family, usually the wife.

The intellectuals in the city dare to critizice the pope and his policy. But they don't accept, that the whole burden of the Christian past is put on their religion. If they don't like, what the pope does, they even write petitions to protest.

I view this from the perspective of one of those, who was raised as a Catholic, because the family always was Catholic, but never was brought up in that tradition. For myself I decided, that he history of the Church indeed IS important to judge their words.

Nowadays both main churches here, Roman Catholics and Lutherian Protestants, lose a lot of sheep every year. I think this trend will continue, especially since the churches are only mentioned in the news, when another pedophile was identified.

We just had that scandal around bishop Mixa, who did not abuse the children sexually, but with physical force. First he allegedly gave them a clap now and then, then he had to admit more and retreated - and then he suddenly came back and did as if nothing had happened! He complained, that he was forced to sign the document. Then again he said, he could not leave the bishop's home to live on the street.

Maybe, we should get him out of there and chase him through the streets! But then again... I am too much a "Christian" to do things like that. And I don't need no church or belief at all.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
WAAAAAKE UUUUUUUUUUUP!!!!
Wake The F**k Up!!!!
God doesn't know these people! A real church would want these evil people out of the most "holy" place earth. These people you give your money to on the belief that they are closer to God that you. It wouldn't be so bad if it was some obscure cult like davidians or raelians but its freaking CATHOLICS!!! and they're everywhere!

new topics

top topics

join