It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The dispersant question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
So with it being insisted that this Corexit dispersant be used and some previous information stating the plume was being injected with oxygen. I am going to give a semi-well informed opinion of the strange effects we have seen regarding the visual feed appearing to show an almost "fiery" effect where the dispersant arm is injecting the plume visible on Skandi 2.
Taking the information they are actually using O2 and not just air suggests they wish to oxidize something coming from the gusher. This is I believe valid as the gasses measured include benzene and methylene chloride both of which are very poisonous and I believe are the primary danger we face presently from the problem.
There is also the "proprietary" secrecy regarding the composition of Corexit which to me likely contains organic peroxides which also further oxidize the plume.
this would account for the reddish color we have observed. Especially if there is considerable iron coming up in the plume which is also highly likely ( google 'black smoker').
So what I am putting forth is there is actually a pressure driven oxidative sub-combustion taking place in the plume which is producing the red oil as well as the fiery looking show we often get from Skandi2. It is a combination of rapid oxidation of hydrocarbon gasses and black iron oxide as it hits the dispersant and oxygen injection. I am not saying it is actually combusting, Rather it is rapidly oxidizing most visibly FeII to FeIII which is also to help catalyze the reduction and oxidation of the toxic gas components as it gives up an electron to drop back to FeII

This theory is born of 6years working offshore drilling and onshore oil field production to finance degrees in organic chem, marine bio and ceramic engineering.
I would like to hear a critique from anyone with a petroleum or chemistry background about my conclusions.
I respectfully ask that only scientifically accurate replies be made.
I will provide links to further my speculation if asked but am going from the assumption most of those who would respond have given the time to have read most of the posts on the deepwater forum, have some background, and are fully up to speed on the science of what I am proposing, so I have omitted the laborious thread link search which should be unnecessary to those who have done their homework.
N.

join