It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Orders FEC To Attack Campaign For Liberty

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Infowars reports

Dear Liberty Activist,

The FEC has launched a pair of investigations on Campaign for Liberty. Both are meritless, but could seriously disrupt our growing program.

Please read Campaign for Liberty President John Tate’s letter below and stand with us. This is exactly the type of government action to quell liberty that I have spent my life opposing.

Sincerely,
Congressman Ron Paul

-

Dear Friend of Liberty,

The best way to know you are succeeding in changing Washington is when you get attacked by the FEC.

And attack us they have!

I’m writing you this letter today not to scare you or to cry wolf. I’m writing to let you know that our success has its price, and that price right now is the wrath of the Obama Administration and its attack dogs at the Federal Election Commission.
I urge you to read this message and then sign the Declaration of Support (in which I ask for your advice on a critical legal and moral question), as we are forced into battle with federal agencies and courts.

You see, this isn’t theoretical. They’ve already come after us in multiple cases, alleging that Campaign for Liberty has acted illegally merely by putting the candidates on the record and reporting their positions.

My attorneys tell me we are under a gag rule and cannot go in to too many details or even tell you with what we have been charged and where the charges originated.

But I can say there have been at least two complaints filed in two different states against our issue discussion activities.

They claim we are in violation of various FEC rules and laws.

Their allegations are completely false. And we must fight back now, or they will win and be able to silence our movement.

You see, the Washington, D.C., establishment doesn’t like to be challenged. They hate it when we fight back.

They are absolutely BESIDE themselves when we are winning.

In less than 2 years, your Campaign for Liberty has become a major force on the American political landscape.

I can give you a list of our accomplishments, talk about our growth (we are approaching half a million members), and show you press coverage from across the nation on our efforts.

But nothing shows our success more than how our enemies react when challenged.
When that happens, they do what they do best: use the power of the federal government to attack us.

They want to do one of two things: shut us up, or shut us down.

This battle is over a very fundamental idea – that Campaign for Liberty and our members should have a voice in lobbying their legislators and exposing the radical views of candidates for office.

Exposing what they’re up to – that’s what the powers that be can’t stand. That’s because they don’t want Americans to know:

** Congress is spending at a record pace and has now left us over 13 TRILLION dollars in debt, with no end in sight.

** The out of control FED has not accounted for nearly 2 trillion dollars and has doubled our monetary base, risking our entire economy.

** The federal government has imposed a mandate that every American either purchase a health care product the Feds approve of, costing tens of thousands of dollars, or risk fines and jail time.

** The federal government has attempted to take away your 1st, 2nd and 4th Amendment rights, all in the past year, with more certainly to come.

We’re exposing them – and holding them accountable as they come back home to seek reelection.

Of course, this may not sound like the end of the world. But just think: the FEC has an ARMY of lawyers and a budget of nearly $70 MILLION dollars.

That’s a lot of lawyers.

And add to it the fact that this group of people is adamantly against free speech under the First Amendment, and well, you have a recipe for trouble.

Subpeonas. Depositions. Fishing expeditions that cover tens of thousands of documents.

Legal fees just to defend our right to free speech.

Thousands of hours of staff time to comply with their demands.

You can see where this is going.

The attack dogs have been unleashed. You can be sure that the FEC and IRS will do everything in their power to silence the call for constitutional government.

Campaign for liberty has had enormous success in exposing the bank con and the fraudulent Federal Reserve system for what it is.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Umm OK.

They are being "Attacked" by the FEC...well actually investigated?

But they can't say what about? And then they want donations to defend themselves.

To ask the obvious question...is it possible that they did something illegal?

Hard to get on the bandwagon when they are just asking folks to take their word they are innocent of a violation that they won't discuss...but please send money?

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by maybereal11

If by "illegal" you mean declaring candidate positions during an election year, you could say they violated election rules.

To quote Jefferson:

"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add “within the limits of the law,” because law is often but the tyrant’s will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual."

In this case the election "regulations" were written by tyrants to prevent us from having access to information.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
By the way, this is the same FEC that created regulations preventing political movies from being produced during an election year, which the Supreme Court struck down.

The FEC is a tool of the statist elite. They use it to suppress free speech. The Constitution is clear that the federal government shall make no law abridging freedom of speech.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnemeth1
By the way, this is the same FEC that created regulations preventing political movies from being produced during an election year, which the Supreme Court struck down.

I am just a fan of honesty...I think the FEC created regulations preventing political movies created and funded by anonymous political pacts within the last few months leading up to a an election...to be out of bounds.

See here:
www.scotusblog.com...

As for your "political positions" bit, I missed that? Where does it say that is the premise of the rules violations?

[edit on 30-6-2010 by maybereal11]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Source

Here is some info I found about why they are being investigated...

the FEC isn’t after C4L because the organization is merely exercising the First Amendment. The FEC is investigating claims that the organization is using its staff to directly benefit candidates for elected office. Like they’re doing with Rand Paul. And concealing corporate contributions, coordinating with candidates and knowingly exceeding contribution limits.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Survivorman

Yes. here is the actual complaint...they fudged the numbers, filed hokey disclosures etc.

www.politico.com...

... that certain orgs including C4L engaged in improper coordinated expenditures with the Chairman and CEO, Jerry Morgensen, of Hensel Phelps Construction ("HPC"), a jumbo construction contractor, in order that Morgensen, and others, could circumvent the $2,400 political donation limit and thereby help Buck's campaign fund certain campaign expenditures. Buck is a former employee of HPC.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Survivorman

That's true. (not the phony disclosure part, but that they accepted donations)

It's also true that C4L is allowed to do that under the 1st Amendment of the US Constitution.

Its a private organization run by private citizens.

Since the government is barred from limiting political speech vis-a-vis the Constitution, they are allowed to do what they are doing.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

No law.

Its not difficult to understand what "no law" means.

The 1st Amendment's freedom of speech provision was specifically written to protect political speech.

[edit on 30-6-2010 by mnemeth1]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
You know all those political ads you see where at the end you hear:

"this ad was paid for by concerned citizens for america"

or

"this ad was paid for by democrats for change"

or some other private organization.

This is what C4L is being accused of doing. This is all perfectly legal. This is all protected speech under the 1st Amendment. The election laws were written to stop private organizations from creating political ads that endorse a candidate. However, C4L never endorsed a candidate. they made ads that highlighted criminal incumbent positions.

This is a witch hunt by the Obama administration to shut down organizations that attack incumbents.

Ultimately, if the government is successful in shutting C4L down, you will not hear ads by private organizations that highlight incumbent political positions. - ever.

Clearly this is what the government wants, not what is best for you.

[edit on 30-6-2010 by mnemeth1]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

I am not sure you care to debate the facts given what you have said thus far, but I will leave it at this.

They have declared themselves a 501(c) non-profit entity, free of being taxed etc. They have registered with the FEC vowing to abide by the same campaign regulations that every other 501(c) abides by.

They then took direct steps to HIDE contributions that exceeded the $2400 individual cap and also successfully conspired to have several entitties work together to roll out a singular financed, coordinated campaign, all the time telling the FEC it wasn't. They got busted when one of thier own bragged about it on TV...the upcomming coordinated campaign...and that campaign unfurled just the way this person said it would.

They knowingly broke the law and tried to hide it.

Those are the facts as they stand, you can try to spin it any way you like.

If they thought those rules and regulations where unconstitutional, then they should have not have asked for 501(c) tax status and it's benefits and then tried to hide how they were violating that same status.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by maybereal11

I can debate it all day long because the law violates the Constitution.

new topics

top topics

join