It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6/30 Primary Relief Well Edges Closer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   

The ultimate solution for stopping the gusher is still a relief well. Two are being drilled in the Gulf of Mexico, one as a backup. The primary well, which was started nearly two months ago, had been drilled to about 16,770 feet below the water's surface by Monday morning. The well was about 900 feet above the point where it will intersect with the Macondo well, Wells said. But horizontally, the well is now just 20 feet away from the blown-out well, after beginning about half a mile away, Wells said.

Looks like they are getting ever closer. See article for full text.

I am not holding my breath that this will work, but we shall see said the blind man, and yes, we are all blind right now.

Article here

[edit on 30-6-2010 by Ceriddwen]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
So tired of this "Relief" well BS. Do people really think if this works they will just cap the "Relief" well and stop dilling????

FREAK NO! THey are doing this to ensure they do not have to put out huge amounts of cash to MMS. These two wells since deemed manditory costed BP nothing for the rights and now these "Relief" wells will become such a HUGE profit to BP they could throw away 2bil more to the people and they will still bank huge on this.

They should start calling these the new BP well and not a "Relief" well. That label is making people welcome more drilling in the same place as the horizon by the same tards.

WTF is going on here people. A nuke would fix it, russians built this proceedure and that is what they did.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
And please people dont bash the nuke idea till you look into it. They are mini nukes and under water and ground it will do much less than corexit and it has been proven!

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I'd be interested to hear the technical reason for the shallow angle of approach of the first relief well.

To me the angle should simply be 90 into the side of the existing well or indeed I could understand if they came up from below if the plan was to fill the existing well with concrete.

The way they are shaping the entry it looks like they are intending to use the relief well as a main take off pipe and continue removing oil from the reservoir.

It could even be that they have no intention of putting mud and concrete down that relief well, instead they see this as an opportunity to make money from the oil.

[edit on 30-6-2010 by bigyin]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigyin
I'd be interested to hear the technical reason for the shallow angle of approach of the first relief well.

To me the angle should simply be 90 into the side of the existing well or indeed I could understand if they came up from below if the plan was to fill the existing well with concrete.

The way they are shaping the entry it looks like they are intending to use the relief well as a main take off pipe and continue removing oil from the reservoir.

It could even be that they have no intention of putting mud and concrete down that relief well, instead they see this as an opportunity to make money from the oil.

[edit on 30-6-2010 by bigyin]

LMAO same thought and typing it about the same time.

DENY IGNORANCE!!!

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
First reports stated the sad state of the troubled well thats why they need two new ones!

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I agree BigYin. There is just something not right about the whole thing.

I guess we shall know soon what the deal is.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
They are drilling horizontal wells, which means that the wells start at a vertical position but end in a close to horizontal position. It's a gradual curve...
there's no such thing as intersecting an existing well at 90 degrees.

And it wouldn't surprise me at all if they tap the existing well and put the new one in production. I'm sure the reason for two relief wells is one high, one low.
The low one brings the well online safely whereas the high one provides a kill to keep pressure from going through to the blown out BoP.

If they can bring the well online safely i say let them do it...they're gonna need the money for the lawsuits.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I think they will use the first relief well to cap the damaged well, and then use the second relief well for a production well.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Morpheas
I think they will use the first relief well to cap the damaged well, and then use the second relief well for a production well.

Me too, and I think they can spin it as a way to relieve back pressure and ensure a permanent fix.

Still, as long as they plug up the leak, I have no problem with them pumping gas and oil. First and foremost, PLUG THE DAM HOLE!!!

Nuke option is insane. This is not bedrock, this is limestone, plus this is a very gas-rich well, and it is at the bottom of a sea, and that sea has frozen methane lakes under it. Nuke=catastrophe. If relief wells don't work then we have catastrophe anyway. Relief wells HAVE to work. No way around it. Anything else = global catastrophe.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romans 10:9
They are drilling horizontal wells, which means that the wells start at a vertical position but end in a close to horizontal position. It's a gradual curve...
there's no such thing as intersecting an existing well at 90 degrees.

And it wouldn't surprise me at all if they tap the existing well and put the new one in production. I'm sure the reason for two relief wells is one high, one low.
The low one brings the well online safely whereas the high one provides a kill to keep pressure from going through to the blown out BoP.

If they can bring the well online safely i say let them do it...they're gonna need the money for the lawsuits.

I agree, what else are they going to do. Blow outs happen, this is not the first and will not be that last, in the mean time our world depends on that oil to survive. I am all for moving off of oil to better energy but I dont see it happining in my life time.People that post here seem detached from reality sometimes, if BP goes under, or they stop drilling deep water drilling, it will only kill the economy. I know every one here looks forward to doom and gloom, but I think it is all talk it if really happened that would *** there pants and cry like children.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I'll go with one well to block the leak and the second one will then tap the original source.

Very cleaver for Bp who will pay Billions in clean up costs but little well ever reach where it will do the people any good.

The banksters stuffed you with the quantitive easing and the corporations are going to stuff you again and then the IMF is using this oil leak so they can send you all a personal carbon tax bill.

Sooner or later it will be like getting blood out of a stone and then the real game will begin.

Are you enjoying your a$$terity measures whilst your leaders live the good life.

[edit on 2-7-2010 by LieBuster]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

Pure speculation here but:

If you tap into the side of a running pipe, you actually create suction at the whole, not a new leak. The moving fluids inside the pipe create low pressure. This phenomenon is used in "suction filtering" in chemistry labs, and it is used in soap injection and other industrial uses.

There could be several reasons for a shallow angle of approach:
1. Maybe it is easier to target the existing pipe this way.
2. Maybe they plan to drill into it at an angle and use the suction to "pull" mud into the hole and not have to overcome so much pressure.
3. Maybe there is strata or geography at that depth which requires it.
4. Maybe there is some safety aspect for the new casing and new BOP that requires it.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Umm last we heard the relief well efforts were delayed two weeks due to the hurricane, even though the storm did not come near the well. The last statement I read said that getting the crews and equipment tied down for the storm was a huge effort and getting efforts running again would take 10-14 days. When did this change?

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I don't know where you heard it Lucidity, but I was merely posting the article as written, which was published on the 30th of June.

They are certainly not waiting the two weeks you heard about if you are watching the live feeds. They are busy at work doing things to a lower portion of the BOP, which has caused lots of ideas to spring forth on the Up to the minute thread.

[edit on 2-7-2010 by Ceriddwen]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I wonder what will happen when the relief wells blow-out because of the pressure.

I'm guessing nukes will be used as a 'last-ditch' effort and will be successful. Then everyone will scratch their heads and wonder why we didn't nuke the damn leak in the first place.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
It has already been argued into the ground both for and against using nukes. I personally am against it.

I guess all we can do is just hope and pray that they get the new cap and the "relief" wells done before that happens.

new topics

top topics

join