It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archaeologists begin dig on buried stone circle TEN times bigger than Stonehenge

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Archaeologists have recently begun a dig on a huge, ancient stone circle. The Marden Henge, in Wiltshire is thought to be Britain's largest prehistoric structure. It is estimated to be roughly 4000 years old and next to nothing is known about it.

Archaeologis ts begin dig on buried stone circle TEN times bigger than Stonehenge

The enormous 4,000 year old Marden Henge, in Wiltshire, is Britain's largest prehistoric structure stretching for 10.5 hectares, the equivalent of 10 football pitches.

Marden Henge was once a 45ft high mound surrounded by a water filled ditch which was used for sacrificial offerings.

Although the henge no longer has its vast stone circle it has a large puzzling sunken circular feature which is almost unheard of at Neolithic sites.

A team of 15 archaeologists and historians believe the dig could show the ancient site is even more significant than both Stonehenge and Avebury stone circles.

Archaeologist Jim Leary, 34, said: 'Virtually nothing is known about this vast circle. We are starting from point zero.

Given the proximity of the other sites the team will also focus on possible interactions with the other sites and may reveal more knowledge about any linkage between the various sites.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
If there are no stones left, then how do they know it was a 'stone' circle? It might have been a wood-pole circle. And why did they sacrifice something into a water-filled ditch? And what was the something that they were sacraficing?

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I am not sure if they will be able to verify a "missing stone circle" without any stones left. Maybe they find wooden bits used to secure the stones to places?

anyway, keep us posted and please, post a photo (if available anywhere) with the alleged circle marked, somehow. I cannot seem to see it in the photo the article had.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Where the hell did the stones go?

Did they sink or what?

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

Nice find mate!! never heard of it, I love finding out about new sites like this.

They'll be able to find out where the stones most likely were situated, the ground will be cut away, especially in the chalky area of Wiltshire, it's easy to determine where a large stone has spent hundreds (or thousands depending on when it was robbed) years!

Like maegnas said, I can't wait to hear more about their findings!

S+F buddy!

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
My guess on what happened to the stones - and that's all it is - my guess. Is that they fell victim to land clearing for other uses and / or were broken up and reused somehow over the centuries.

Something like - "Ya know lads, if we broke up those big stone they'd make some find foundation blocks for the new church / castle / bridge/ house / etc".

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I think these were not stones but a magnificent structure made of pure gold encrusted with diamonds. This immediately explains why there is absolutely nothing left there! It's too bad we won't be able to read the script left on the East Wall by visitors from Zeta Reticuli.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Maybe the stones were removed and turned into a smaller stone circle that would later be known as Stone Henge......maybe.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frogs
My guess on what happened to the stones - and that's all it is - my guess. Is that they fell victim to land clearing for other uses and / or were broken up and reused somehow over the centuries.

Something like - "Ya know lads, if we broke up those big stone they'd make some find foundation blocks for the new church / castle / bridge/ house / etc".

A good explanation. The article says the stone circle doesn't exist any more, not that every single stone is gone. We can't presume that the stones in this circle are as big, or the same shape as the ones at stonehenge. I'm guessing that when the article describes this circle as bigger than stonehenge they are referring to it's diameter.

The site must have been abandoned at some time and human/animal activity and the weather have disguised and buried it.

There also may have been records that refer to the circle from many years ago which give the archaeologists clues on where to dig. There were scholars that investigated such mysterious antiquities hundreds of years ago, such as John Aubrey who lived in the 1600's.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Actually it seems The Daily mail are being a wee bit sensationalistic with their headline. I don't think anybody knows for sure that this site had a circle of upright stones like stonehenge.

www.english-heritage.org.uk...

Unlike Stonehenge and Avebury, Marden Henge no longer has any surviving stone settings, although it may once have had, but its sheer size is astounding. Comprising a substantial and well-preserved bank with an internal ditch that defines and encloses an area of some 10.5 hectares (approximately equivalent to 10 football pitches); it is one the largest Neolithic henges in Britain

What is known is that the site comprised of a large collection of mounds and earthworks that had been destroyed by the early 19th century due to careless excavation methods and farming of the area.

More interesting reading here; www.themodernantiquarian.com...

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Maybe it's wherever the amber room is?

OP I'm not ridiculing your post this is a very interesting find

I just couldn't help it buddhasystem made me laugh

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I don't know what this is but the sacrificial water moat is definitely not typical for Monolithic ritual spaces also Monolithic construction requires monoliths and there aren't any here

I don't think they were broken up and recycled or else why would there be hundreds of others everywhere? i don't think this place ever had standing stones ,unless they all fell down and they are buried there?

nah iit's a stoneless stone monument

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
oh and this a really interesting site

I would love to know more about it ,like I said I never heard of such a thing as a sacrificial mote like this, does any body else?

is there anyone who knows of anything similar?

new topics

top topics

join