It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iron Man: Not Just For Hollywood Any More

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
If you feel intimidated by Police Officers dressed for combat, like those recently filmed at the G20 in Canada... Wait til you come up against this!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f844c715d418.jpg[/atsimg]

Ratheon SARCOS XOS Website

The exoskeleton is essentially a wearable robot that amplifies its wearer’s strength, endurance and agility. The super-human suit is reminiscent of super heroes depicted in comic books and Hollywood movies. So much so that Popular Science magazine likened Raytheon’s exoskeleton to the “Iron Man”® depicted in the blockbuster movie of the same name.

Popular Science: Building the REAL IronMan

Utah. A secret mountain lab. Software engineer Rex Jameson backs into a headless metal suit that's hanging from a steel I-beam by a thick rubber cord. He clicks into the aluminum boots, tightens belts across his legs and waist, and slides his arms through backpack-like straps, gripping handles where hands would be. It looks as easy as slipping into an overcoat.

Then he moves, and the machine comes to life, shadowing his every motion. He raises his fists and starts firing sharp jabs while bouncing from one foot to the other. He's not quite Muhammad Ali, but he's wearing 150 pounds and he looks light. He could easily knock a nearby coder to the floor, or fling one over a desk—but even more impressive, he could do it all day. To show off his superhuman endurance, he walks over to a weight rack and yanks down a bar loaded with 200 pounds. Then he does it again. And again. He stops somewhere around 50, but he's been known to rip through 500 reps in a row. Even then, he quits out of boredom, not fatigue.

I'd just love to get one of these suits! =
=

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I have seen this before and stuff like it. the military are putting allot of money into exoskeleton technology allowing troops to carry heavier loads and run faster for longer not to sure if its in use just now though.

Good thread looks interesting.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Its cool but the limitation on these things is power. Without an energy storage mechanism way way more efficient than whats currently available then exoskeletons will remain a curio trailing a big heavy cable.

Now, show me a working version of tony starks power source and i'll get real exited real fast :-)

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
The only troops I see using these in the next 25 years or more, would be logistics troops for loading and unloading.

I don't think this will ever become a viable option for front line troops. I think it is more likely that the government would try to 'chemically' enhance or genetically alter/create stronger/faster/'better' troops.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
yeah, from what i understand though, it will be some time before they can manage a power supply advanced and small enough to fit onto the device itsself. So far they have been limited to using a cord that goes to a A/C source. Some big hurdles ahead.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
DARPA has been running competitions for this for at least 20 years that I am aware of. There is definitely more public disclosure about it now then there has been.

A couple of points...

1) I wonder about the true level of this tech...if this is what we are allowed to see then where are they really? I've been a follower of robotics for my entire life and honestly this is old news...this is actually more primitve then other systems that have been previously demonstrated.

What I see here is a model for perfecting the Operating Software.

2) Power supply...I agree that these systems are impractical without a compact power unit, but the fact that it is shown with a cord doesn't meant that there isn't already something that can be used.

Look at it this way; the one comment people jumped to immediately is the lack of a power supply, that means that the bigger story IS the power supply.

If this was demonstrated without a cord then people would want to know what was powering it, how long the supply lasted and at what output. All of a sudden the display of a robotic suit is overshadowed by a battery that could power your car. I don't mean to entirely say that a power supply does exist, but given the nature of our current energy situation there is no chance of it being demonstrated if there is one.

To show such a battery would be to admit there is a viable solution to our energy needs that does not require oil.

No chance.

[edit on 30-6-2010 by [davinci]]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Sure the power supply is a problem unless we take into consideration the fact that alternative power sources that are being kept secret are still acquirable by the DoD. I don't think they would be funding such projects unless they knew how they were going to power these exoskeletons. I doubt it will look anything like Iron Man's glowing blue thingy, or else combatants would probably aim at that or something, like a weak spot on a boss monster...

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Sure the power supply is a problem unless we take into consideration the fact that alternative power sources that are being kept secret are still acquirable by the DoD. I don't think they would be funding such projects unless they knew how they were going to power these exoskeletons. I doubt it will look anything like Iron Man's glowing blue thingy, or else combatants would probably aim at that or something, like a weak spot on a boss monster...

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wolf321
The only troops I see using these in the next 25 years or more, would be logistics troops for loading and unloading.

I hope all armies in the world are dispanded and everyone can get along in the next 25 years.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
oh FFS. i wouldn't wear that thing into battle. our troops are horrible enough, we don't need a suit that will make them move at a crawling pace. get rid of our troops and replace them with ROV's.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
power supply is not that hard.. they could use a hydrogen fuel cell to power the suit. and instead of using compressed or liquid hydrogen they could use hydride to store the hydrogen. that way it stores more fuel and could be shot and not explode. they could get the hydrogen through electrolysis and use whatever electric source they want. generators, solar, whatever. and since its military they are probly not concerned with being efficient with the production of hydrogen either. its not that hard. there are literally thousands of people messing around with electrolysis in their garages these days.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by [davinci]

Power Supply could possiblly be a Lithium Air Battery . Incorporated into the suit would be an advanced form of Generator that generates DC Current from the wearers Body Motions wich is Mechanically Inhanced like the spring of a Watch to Recharge it . Of course I am only guessing here , Advanced Portable Power Supplies do exist in certain Military Hardware today , and I am sure Someone out there is trying to Perfect one for this type of application as we speak .

[edit on 30-6-2010 by Zanti Misfit]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Zanti Misfit

There are a bunch of options to be sure. There are two that I keep tabs on though...the first are the polymer batteries. Not only are they plastic but they can serve double duty as structure for an object as well.

Imagine the body of you car being the battery (it is also possible that with advances in solar materials that the plastic itself could convert sunlight into energy thus charging itself)

The biggest leap in 'standard' batteries however (in my mind) has to do with lithium/sulfur carbon nanotube systems (pdf). Researchers found that by coating sulfur inside the tubes they could create a battery that potentially could hold massive amounts of power.

...best 'revolutionary' solution I have seen yet.

[edit on 30-6-2010 by [davinci]]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   
This is actually state of the art - if anyone is claliming they have seen better, then let's see it.

Power supply is not really an issue. This can be powered by an internal combustion engine (or fuel cells if noise is a problem and money isn't).

The issue is whether there is a genuine demand for the technology, which seems rather unlikely. I honestly can't see this going anywhere, cool as it looks.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
i do remember seeing a video on youtube of a japanese version. it was more visually appealing, and more refined. i would like to see them both go head to head.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
It would probably be a good idea to have one of those in every platoon/company (depending on price/budget). They could carry and fire heavy weapons and all the kit at the same time. However, until the get some better aromour they're far from a one man army, that's why they'd need a platoon/company surrounding them.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Interesting, but still seems a good way off in terms of R&D for combat use.

The issue is whether there is a genuine demand for the technology, which seems rather unlikely. I honestly can't see this going anywhere, cool as it looks.

Seems a shame most people only look at it as some kind of mech-marine armor or a too fancy and overpriced fork-lift alternative. It still has potential for one particular and worthy application.

If you can make the existing one strongly heat resistant, I know of a very good immediate use for it. Firefighters would love something like this! Often their job already involves working under adverse conditions that can be taxing to the limits of human endurance. The extra power would be great for pulling people out, carrying heavy air tanks, breaking through doors or walls, and some protection via some modest supportive armor would be handy while under the threat of a building collapse. They're already slinging a heavy hose that limits mobility, so trailing a cable for power wouldn't make things that much worse. (Just make sure there's a reserve battery with enough power to get out in case its power line breaks.)

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
All it realy needs, is a powerfull power source, yeh, thats gonna take some time to figrure that one out.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by pexx421
yeah, from what i understand though, it will be some time before they can manage a power supply advanced and small enough to fit onto the device itsself. So far they have been limited to using a cord that goes to a A/C source. Some big hurdles ahead.

So... Pull the plug and the human is left strapped to a 600 lb suit that does nothing...

That is kinda funny...

top topics

join