It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Verizon Wireless Said to Start Offering IPhone in January

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Verizon Wireless Said to Start Offering IPhone in January

www.bloomberg.com

Verizon Wireless, the largest U.S. mobile-phone company, will start selling Apple Inc.’s iPhone next year, ending AT&T Inc.’s exclusive hold on the smartphone in the U.S., two people familiar with the plans said.

The device will be available to customers in January, according to the people, who declined to be named because the information isn’t public. Natalie Kerris, an Apple spokeswoman, and Jeffrey Nelson, a Verizon Wireless spokesman, declined to comment.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
For those of you who believe the "iPhone conspiracy" to limit or censor media, it looks like a lot more people will now be armed with the device. At least it won't be only at&t in collusion with apple now. I personally don't believe the limiting or censoring of content for the iPhone to be a conspiracy because the other hand-helds do it too, it's only that Apple is more popular and so gets more flack. With that being said, I don't agree with how Apple goes about "securing" their platform. Regardless, it looks like more people will now have access to the popular phone.

--airspoon

www.bloomberg.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

Might be a day late and dollar short for Apple. Android is really catching on. I know a lot of people are just getting those phones instead.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

I have always been more than satisfied with Apple products. I just find the quality of their products to be outstanding. Are the Android phone a little "cooler"? Sure, but I know that my Apple product is a quality product and I rarely find a competing product to be better. That's just my own experiences of course. I don't like the *closed platform of iOS but then again, all mobile OS' are closed to an extent, though I'm sure Apple could come up with a better solution to their security woes than limiting the content, they just wouldn't be able to capitalize in the same manner. For myself, I will stick with Apple until I find an alternative with the same attention to quality and technology.

--airspoon

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I bought the first gen iphone before the 3g came out, and I was gonna just get the new one now, but I think I wait for it to be on verizon, hopefully it wont break before then because I have beaten it up lol. Thats good news though, AT&T's coverage here is a JOKE, hopefully it will help my apple stock too.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

Android has the advantage of being on multiple networks. I think Apple will do fine, but I think they just did it too late to truly effect market share. I know a lot of the soldiers around here switched to Verizon's Droid phone because of AT&T's crap coverage around here.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I can confirm this.

One of my clients is Verizon Wireless, I offer a service to their customers for cell phone warranty. I've been in talks with them for month to start offering warranty on DROID and Iphone devices starting next year in February, not January.

That's just semantics though.

Apple has realized how much of the market they are loosing with this AT&T exclusive deal.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I believe that Apple actually had a contract with at&t, though that's just conjecture on my part. I'm sure that Apple made a deal with at&t to subsidize the handset, to a great extent. I'm sure Apple would have went to multiple carriers otherwise.

--airspoon

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I believe that Apple actually had a contract with at&t, though that's just conjecture on my part. I'm sure that Apple made a deal with at&t to subsidize the handset, to a great extent. I'm sure Apple would have went to multiple carriers otherwise.

--airspoon

AT&T paid through the nose to have the exclusive when it was first released, and because of the profit generated (as most people buying them could just jail break them and use them on ANY network anyway) they just never bothered to expand.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

"Effect market share?" Really? How much market share do you assume Apple is crying over? They sold 1.7 *million* iPhone 4's in the first THREE DAYS it was available and they could have sold a passel more had they had the supply.

Admittedly, I am an Apple FanGirl, and I am seriously weighing my options on upgrading my 3GS to the 4 now or waiting until Verizon has it available. When I upgrade, it will be my third iPhone. I don't talk a lot on my iPhone, so reception is secondary to their robust G3 network, which does beat out any of the competition for speed. At least for now.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
i saw commercials for them already....bout time verizon got the iphone.....wont be out till jan. tho jeeezzzz more than likely they have to improve on their new feature face time where you can vid chat with another iphone......what about a hidden (3rd party) during/after vid chat???i suggest to ponder before you use this feature.....

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Geeky_Bubbe
reply to post by antonia

"Effect market share?" Really? How much market share do you assume Apple is crying over? They sold 1.7 *million* iPhone 4's in the first THREE DAYS it was available and they could have sold a passel more had they had the supply.

Admittedly, I am an Apple FanGirl, and I am seriously weighing my options on upgrading my 3GS to the 4 now or waiting until Verizon has it available. When I upgrade, it will be my third iPhone. I don't talk a lot on my iPhone, so reception is secondary to their robust G3 network, which does beat out any of the competition for speed. At least for now.

The market Share of AT&T is pretty weak actually. Apple could have sold 10 million Iphones in the first week had they been available to all major US carriers.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Reply to post by tothetenthpower

I am happy with my Droid. I will be upgrading to the next best Android phone when my contract is up.

I refuse to ever buy an Apple product.

And I have refused even before the conspiracy.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   

reply to post by antonia

Admittedly, I am an Apple FanGirl,

Then spare me your bias. I don't have a dog in this fight. I'm just calling it like I see it. If they were smart they wouldn't have signed the exclusive deal. If they had not done that their market share would be even greater than what it is today.

[edit on 30-6-2010 by antonia]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by antonia

reply to post by antonia

Admittedly, I am an Apple FanGirl,

Then spare me your bias.

Geeze!! Yet ANOTHER cry for denial of expressing opinion if it does not agree with someone else's. WTF!

Had you actually read my *full* comment you would have noted that for *me* the superior nature of AT&Ts 3G network outweighs the voice network drawbacks. But, even with that, I also stated that I find myself wondering if I will upgrade NOW or WAIT until Verizon is online.

BUT... even if I was a complete fan of AT&T, that would be MY OPINION, for which I am as free to express here as you are, no?

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Geeze!! Yet ANOTHER cry for denial of expressing opinion if it does not agree with someone else's. WTF!

I just find fan boys and girls in general rather taxing. Emotional investment in a brand is no way to make a business choice.

My point was not about the superiority of anyone's network. It doesn't matter. If the coverage of that network is not good then people won't stay. The coverage here is not good so people have switched. I don't live in a large mega-city. This has a lot to do with that lack of coverage. Most Americans don't live in large cities. They will be facing the same issue. The exclusivity contract really has caused issues for their bottom line. You have to remember most people could care less about specs. They aren't nerds. Accessibility is the main issue. AT&T's network is too small. That hurts accessibility.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
This video was posted on college humor today, and it is really the truth about Iphone zombies.

www.collegehumor.com...:1938055

Warning bad language in the video

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by antonia

I just find fan boys and girls in general rather taxing. Emotional investment in a brand is no way to make a business choice.

To be sure, I will take your general state of well being into account the next time I make a purchase with the money that I work for. I sure wouldn't want to stress you out or anything.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I have an iPhone, which is my third one, and I see no problem with it. I'm not a zombie, or a fanboy. I don't go around telling people to look at my phone, it stays in my pocket like everybody else lol. I have a macbook and a macmini at home so things are more convenient since I have an iPhone. Every company is the pits. Google is hypocritical too..."Don't Be Evil"...yet we'll just steal everybody's information all the time like nobody cares.

new topics

top topics

join