It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival tool review "SPAX"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Been a while since I lasted posted anything... still don't have my Internet back at the new ranch so these will not come as often as I like... but for what it's worth here it is...

It's called a "SPAX"
First impression, this thing is ugly...

Ontario Knives, Spec Plus Knives, Ontario's vision of the next generation of military and sporting knives, feature epoxy powder coated blades, full tang construction, grooved Kraton polymer handles with integral guards and lanyard holes (except where noted), and combination leather/Cordura sheaths. Proudly made in the U.S.A.
SPAX features: 8" 1095 carbon steel blade .250" thick, 13 1/8" overall

Ontario Knives, QN-SP16 SPAX

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a646da492099.jpg[/atsimg]

Now for the story... I got mine right before my move to Kansas last month by a good friend and soon to retire Fire Marshal... he tell's me back in Albuquerque their trying to get one in every fire department vehicle as a rescue tool...

this odd looking multi tool has a cutout in the middle so it can be used as a wrench to open fire hydrants and open close gas lines. Opposite the axe blade is a digging pick/pry bar and let me just say this ugly looking tool is as close to indestructible as you get!

So far I've used mine to break into an old metal storage building... took no time at all smash the lock and pry open the rusty door... Used it to chop down a couple dead and dying trees, my sawzall is less work on those but the SPAX doesn't need recharging. Recently I did use it open and close my propane lines while I was chasing down a leak, works like a charm... but it would be to large to get into a city water meter valve if you get my drift...

When I got mine it hadn't been sharpened and since it's ugly to begin with I just ran it over a wet stone. it holds its edge well and even when I chopped a fence post wrapped in barbed wire it did not nick or notch the blade... ugly but tough... Just the sight of which makes it a scary weapon too... this one is a keeper and damn useful to let live in the truck...

I was given mine but when I went to see what they cost it's not that bad, high $50's to low $70 depending on who you order one from... without having one to play with first I might not have ever picked one up but now that I have, I want two of them, one for each hand!

Nothing else to add my review of the SPAX if you find one offered for sale and you have the money for one, get it... you'll like it too

[edit on 30-6-2010 by DaddyBare]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Thanks for the post. I have been eyeing this for a few months but just couldn't get over the "appalling" shape. Glad to know that it is very usefully. I think you sold me on it. So guess im going to have to rake my pennies together and buy me one.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I wouldn't hack an ugly tree with that thing. It would be too degrading to the tree and I want to look good in case my wife comes outside. Accessorize!

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by IamBoon

Let me put it another way then...
with me being a not that good looking retired Marine...
this ugly looking tool, in my hands... makes me look downright pretty

Well at least it give's other's pause before walking up to give me grief ya know

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Welcome back DB, your absence was noted. I hope the move went well for you.
As for the SPAX - it looks great for in the car or around the house, not gonna try to fit in my B.O.B. which raises a question - how much does this beast way?

You might even win a melee fight with this thing, everyone would be so busy trying to figure out WTH it is that you could whack them before they knew it

On the other hand I'm not going to get into any brawls, if I run out of bullets they can do whatever they want to me. That's a big IF

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I have one of these tied to my BOB. Nice tool, not great for clearing brush, but certainly worth the little bit of weight (not much)

I picked mine up from a military surplus store for $25, so look around before paying top dollar for one. Also, as a multi-tasker, if you happen to be a prospector, the pick axe is handy for breaking up cracks in bedrock.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
reply to post by IamBoon

Let me put it another way then...
with me being a not that good looking retired Marine...
this ugly looking tool, in my hands... makes me look downright pretty

Well at least it give's other's pause before walking up to give me grief ya know

Semper Fi jar head..

we need more "ugly" marines out there.......

new topics

top topics

join