It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Anyone Practice Chastity?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Mike Stivic

I hear ya Mike Stivic. 21 years and counting for me. Started out as I needed to not be in a relationship after my daughter's father, for my own well-being. Then, it just became the norm. I was raising a child as a single mom and didn't want people coming and going in my life, which would affect both me and her. Now that she is an adult, I am just too darned set in my ways, and too old to really truly want to compromise for a relationship, which is how it would have to be.

The one thing I really miss as well is the cuddling, comraderie, partnership. Otherwise, I am peachy.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Ceriddwen

Star for stepping up to the plate and thinking about your child first..

~meathead

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Active normal healthy release of sexual energy does not require a partner. The only time bomb in my body is my spirit that has much more to accomplish in this life.

My choice to be celibate may not be forever, but for right now it is the right choice, and like the above poster stated, does leave more time free to concentrate on my writings and studies.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ceriddwen
reply to post by Mike Stivic

I hear ya Mike Stivic. 21 years and counting for me. Started out as I needed to not be in a relationship after my daughter's father, for my own well-being. Then, it just became the norm. I was raising a child as a single mom and didn't want people coming and going in my life, which would affect both me and her. Now that she is an adult, I am just too darned set in my ways, and too old to really truly want to compromise for a relationship, which is how it would have to be.

The one thing I really miss as well is the cuddling, comraderie, partnership. Otherwise, I am peachy.
Your description is much like my path, thank you for sharing. I do not really miss the cuddling and all part either, I must be one set in my ways woman!! I love all aspects of this time in my life (I do believe I am into my crone stage).

I am also of the belief one never actively look for love or partnership, if it is destined or meant to be it will happen.

In the end, we all draw to us (sexual activity, celibacy, partners) exactly what we will to be.

I still do not know what chastity or chaste is, in relation to celibacy. I think most equate chaste with celibate.

Not me.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Its part of an entire system though, for example: I don't smoke. I don't drink. I don't use drugs. I eat organic foods, probiotic yogurts, and stay away from fluoridated water.

Uh, oh, MikeboydUS, sounds like you might suffer from a serious mental disorder known as "Orthorexia Nervosa" discussed in a current thread here on ATS. (I'm kidding, of course, although that's about how ridiculous the guidelines are for that "disorder.")

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by NightGypsy

I wonder if that means Jews and Muslims all have that disorder too? Halal and Kosher heavily leans to the healthy organic foods.

How about Vegans?

So I guess the only normal people are the ones who eat McDonalds.

Oh wait, obesity is a disorder.

There should be a new disorder, the declaring a behavior a disorder disorder. If you declare any behavior or activity a disorder, you might have a disorder.

[edit on 1/7/10 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Once in my mid late twenties still single I abstained from alcohol/cofee/meat /and sex including masturbation for a year.
I felt supercharged ihave to add I walked 10km a day on top of this and ate fried rice four times a day(ginger garlic lettuce, tuna soy sauce chilli ect combined with potato.
Sometimes my dreams involved temptresses behaving normally who would then suddenly rip their b;louses open and I could feel the energy inside moving, I would will myself to wake up and defeat the sneaky temptress.
Involuntary erections ensued, but I felt so energised and alive and dare I say in tune with a loving spirit.
I onc elooked at a woman from thirty yards and she turned and smiled knowingly at me it was all pure and innocent, I know there are men who have this power and more 24 hrs but for humble me this was akin to a miracle.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Celibacy = no sex with a partner
Chaste = no sex including yourself

Good replies, I myself am not chaste, but the ideal of it appeals to my spiritual side. I have no idea why, it just seems attractive as an experiment, to see what kind of results would ensue.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 03:40 AM
link   
I do practice 'chastity' but not in the way generally understood, being merely sexual repression (which is celibacy) . There are many ways being chaste. Besides, by totally supressing natural drives one merely causes harm to oneself - and perhaps to others in the end (for example, see how some obsessed religous people, like some catholic priests, harm the society by their celibacy).

If my life and mind revolves around some obsession, then I am not chaste, whatever the obsession is. I can enjoy good sex, but when it controls me (=meaning that I actively seek for it, which means I put effort and my energy to it) I am most likely going in wrong direction. I won't let obsessions control me, but I should control the pleasures life offers. Manical repression is also an obsession, as well as is a wish for control. So I may see why the path is so difficult

So, basically we may be saving energy when not directing it into obsessions, but being content in every situation life brings forth for us. But that is an old one: Just be

-v

[edit on 1-7-2010 by v01i0]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by v01i0

There are plenty of Hindu and Buddhists monks who don't harm society by being celibate.

I wouldn't blame the problems of the Catholic priests on celibacy.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
reply to post by v01i0

There are plenty of Hindu and Buddhists monks who don't harm society by being celibate.

I wouldn't blame the problems of the Catholic priests on celibacy.

Exactly, celibacy has nothing to do with some priests being paedos. There are paedo police, gov officials.

The catholic priest thing has more to do with some not admitting there sexuality, and running away from it.

Being celibate has nothing to do with problems in society, and you will find that alot of celibate people are passive anyway.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ethancoop

You don't know my dad! Mom thinks it is dirty and my dad has given up. He won't sleep around, trust me. I know this might sound alien to most men, but there are men that do not screw around. I know you might think that I just don't know better, but I've known my parents for 41 years.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
it seems less of a practice and more of an action.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by v01i0

Very well said. I think the benefit of chasity would have to come from control of an obsession, control of self. It isn't the act in particular. It could be food, alcohol, or anything that keeps you from redeeming your short time on this earth from waste. Like many other things: what is good for one isn't always good for another. Cardiac medications can save one person's life, but if used by someone without a condition it could kill them. Though I doubt chasity could be in any way lethal
. You get the point.
I have gone long stents without sex. Even got past the urges etc... I didn't feel bad, good, or otherwise. I didn't have more energy or less. I was just a normal guy that hadn't had sex in ages. I can see the non-complication side of things of not having a partner. However if you find the right partner then the complications are minimal. You should both be going the same direction anyway.
As far as chasity having more choices or options I have to disagree. At any moment I can not have sex. If you are in a position of long term chasity you can't really have real good meaningful healthy sex any time you want. In a good relationship you can, or not.
I still hold though that if someone makes that choice it is definitely not something worthy of any criticism.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join