It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran nuclear scientist Shahram Amiri 'flees US captors'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Iran nuclear scientist Shahram Amiri 'flees US captors'

news.bbc.co.uk

A man who says he is an Iranian nuclear scientist claims to have escaped after being abducted by US agents.

In a video shown on Iranian state TV, he says he has escaped in the US state of Virginia and is now on the run.

Mr Amiri disappeared a year ago while undertaking the Hajj in Saudi Arabia.

Two videos purportedly showing him surfaced three weeks ago. One said he had been kidnapped, the other that he was living freely in Arizona.

The US has strenuously denied abducting him, but ABC News reported in March that Mr Amiri had defected and was helping the CIA compile intelligence on
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.reuters.com
www.google.com
www.jpost.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Breaking: Iran Nuclear Scientist Defects to U.S. In CIA 'Intelligence Coup'
"Top Iran Nuclear Scientist defects to USA" (Breaking)

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:08 AM
link   
So the man who the U.S. claimed defected to the U.S. is now on the run from U.S. security services according to Iranian State T.V.

Who to believe? Lets be fair and state neither side has a history of telling the truth. It's not as if the U.S. does not have a long and murky history in the kidnapping for foreign citizens, in particular by the CIA. But of course it would be in the Iranian interest to portray the man as a hero fighting against 'The Great Satan' rather than a traitor.

If it is true and he is on the run in Virginia would it be fair to say he would stick out like a sore thumb?

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

Here is the supoosed video from Mr Amiri reporting his own escape from Tuscon. Is it him? Why let it be known to everyone (including the U.S. Security Services) your location?

Also the video was posted 3 weeks ago on Youtube. Why is it only being reported now?

[edit on 30-6-2010 by Peruvianmonk]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   
I have plenty of suport for Iran and none for Iserail and yet i have to conclude this guy is talking BS.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Reply to post by Peruvianmonk

I think both sides maybe right, maybe at first he did defect, but after iran had a go at his family back in iran maybe he changed his mind and since the us would probably not let him go back he had to escape, we will never know the whole truth to this, there are so many possibilities. the us could have used some form of mind control to alter his state and make him defect which he later broke free from it. the possibilities are endless unless he comes on ATS and tells us we will never know

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I propose a third possibility :

This man was made up by either Iran or the US in an attempt to either blackmail or tarnish the other's reputation by using the MSM. My guess is that this was some kind of a ploy to confuse the populace.

The other side just used the original video or other voice recordings they may have had, and altered it to suit their needs, and so on and so forth...

Just a thought...

Magnum

[edit on 10/6/30 by Magnum007]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Magnum007

Fair point Magnum. The mind's of the people who dream up these kind of idea's within the CIA, Iranian security services and all others round the world are so #ed up that anything is possible.

I personally would not be surprised by either scenario, that he defected or was kidnapped.

This was the original accusation levelled by the Iranians toward the U.S. back in December '09.

Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki told reporters that Shahram Amiri, who worked for Iran's Atomic Energy Organization, disappeared during a summer religious pilgrimage to Saudi Arabia.

He said Tehran had evidence that the U.S. was involved in the disappearance. "The U.S. should give back our compatriots based on the call of their family and people," Mottaki told reporters during an appearance with his United Arab Emirates counterpart, according to the Islamic Republic News Agency.

www.latimes.com...

Back to the apparent escape of the kidnapped/defector there have apparently been two videos released by Amiri.

Two conflicting videos showing a man who looks like Amiri surfaced earlier this month, Reuters notes. In one, he says he has been kidnapped by the CIA, taken to the US, and tortured. In the other, he says he is studying in the US. The man in this newest video says the earlier video is real and the "studying" one is a fake. A US official says it's "ludicrous for anyone to suggest that this individual was kidnapped by the United States."

www.newser.com...

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I hope he can get somewhere safe, he must know something of value or they wouldn't care about him, he should tell the world his secret. Most likely they want to torture him so he will confess to Iran having nuclear weapons. Mess with the best, die like the rest. The only salvation is the truth.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by T0XiK

Someone on ATS must live in Virginia/Arizona? Any goss on this?

"It's ludicrous for anyone to suggest that this individual was kidnapped by the United States," a Washington official told Reuters on Tuesday.

www.aolnews.com...

No. What is ludicrous is for a Washington offical to come out with a statement like that and expect to be taken seriously.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
A fourth video!

The speaker says the date is Wednesday, June 23, 2010, and that he is in the United States. He says he's well and that his family shouldn't worry about his health.

"Thanks to the grace of God, I will return to my dear country Iran within the next few days," the speaker says. "I want [my family] to be [strong] and patient as always and pray for my safe return." He then quotes from the Koran in Arabic and expresses hope of seeing his family in Iran.

www.rferl.org...

What the hell is going on?! If the translation is correct how can he be so sure that he is returning to Iran in the next few days?

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by LieBuster
I have plenty of suport for Iran and none for Iserail and yet i have to conclude this guy is talking BS.

Why would you have plenty of support for a country that requires 5 year olds to chant "Death to America !!" before entering their first day of school, or hangs teenage girls for having sex, or treats women as second class citizens, or any other one of the myriad things that makes Iran a pariah nation to all but other pariahs.

I just don't get people like you, what is it? is it just because they oppose the USA, is that the limit of your rational analysis of good versus bad?

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Retseh

Originally posted by LieBuster

Why would you have plenty of support for a country that requires 5 year olds to chant "Death to America !!" before entering their first day of school, or hangs teenage girls for having sex, or treats women as second class citizens, or any other one of the myriad things that makes Iran a pariah nation to all but other pariahs.

I just don't get people like you, what is it? is it just because they oppose the USA, is that the limit of your rational analysis of good versus bad?

5 year olds chanting "death to america" ? Please! THAT kind of obviously false propaganda, and the fact that so many people like yourself just gobble it up without question, is precisely the reason why people like LieBuster support Iran, and do not support the US/Israel team.

"Death to America" alongside "Death to Israel", is shouted occasionally on various holidays, that is true. However, Israel and the US enjoys a free reign spewing all the "Iran must be reformed", or "Iran is a terrorist state and cannot continue without a regime change", which is essentially the same thing. Either way, the context is important. The US installed a puppet dictator in Iran, among countless other atrocities in the region, so you have to understand that some Iranians here and there consider the US to be a terrorist state better off dead.

Iran is the most progressive country in the Middle East, despite it's shortcomings with women's rights. The quality of living is very high compared to its neighbors. There is a social revolution happening right now, however this does not require a regime change to be effective.

I think the main reason why people support Iran (and Syria, and Hamas) is because they are the only countries in the region with democratic elections relatively free from US/European influence. And it is no coincidence that these 3 governments are declared "terrorist states" - all because their respective populaces didn't democratically elect the "correct" choice, and instead acted according to their free will. How arrogant of them.

edited for clarity

[edit on 30-6-2010 by Son of Will]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Son of Will

I think the main reason why people support Iran (and Syria, and Hamas) is because they are the only countries in the region with democratic elections relatively free from US/European influence. And it is no coincidence that these 3 governments are declared "terrorist states" - all because their respective populaces didn't democratically elect the "correct" choice, and instead acted according to their free will. How arrogant of them.

I mainly support the Iranian people. I also support their right to have nuclear power as there oil industry has been ravaged by the lack of foreign investment in its oil industry due to American led sanctions which began after the 79' revolution.

To some extent i support the regime in standing up against the brazen attempts by (mainly) the U.S. and Israel to force the Iranians to bow down to their hegemony. However i do not support their hardline views or human rights record, the same as with many countries and regimes.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Iran states it has evidence that Shahram Amiri was indeed abducted.

Tehran said it has evidence that he is being held against his will in the United States. The country's foreign ministry yesterday said it had submitted its evidence to the Swiss embassy, which looks after American interests in the absence of diplomatic relations.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

I wonder what the U.S. response will be to this?

new topics

top topics

join