It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is "LOVE" a mild form of insanity?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 03:53 AM
link   
There are so many different kinds of love. Love of: inanimate objects like art, books, a certain tie , a spectacular piece of jewelry, etc. Love of: siblings, children, pets........ Then there is that blinding love one feels for what is percieved to be their soulmate. Thats the love that SEEMS to me to be a form of mild (or wild) insanity!

It is of course undefinable. Who amongst you would not die for a loved one? Many die for love of country or for an ideal, Perhaps for freedom. I wonder if there have been any scientific studies to see what chemicals our brains release while "in love"

Stop and think how many you love and in entirely different ways. Seems love has many facets. What do you think?

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 04:04 AM
link   
I don't know if I believe in "love" as anything more than another "drug" anymore, I used to, but that was long ago. You have to be in particular positions to really feel/live/experience certain emotions, if you aren't in those 'positions' isn't it kind of hard to see without looking through 'cloudy' eyes?

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Is "LOVE" a mild form of insanity? Yup!

When people do stupid things (which lands them in jail or in the grave) for `love`, which really sounds like `evil` spelled backwards, then, yeah, `love` can be considered CRAZY!

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by gem_man
There are so many different kinds of love. Love of..... a spectacular piece of jewelry...

Oh really? And you know what love means?

In my picture you can only love people or animals and maybe plants (only living and feeling things)

If you think you can love a peace of material, then yes - this is mental illness, insanity.

Love:

ILL:
en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 30-6-2010 by cushycrux]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by gem_man
I wonder if there have been any scientific studies to see what chemicals our brains release while "in love"

Love chemicals in the brain

I also think that 'love' is just a word. It's down to definitions. Why the feelings I have for my brother have the same name as those I have for my girlfriend I have no idea. (Well I do but that's for a more cynical day).

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Some researchers conclude love is a form of insanity and from my own personal experience I would have to agree. After all, who hasn't seen a close friend or family member (maybe even a stranger in public) do something REALLY STUPID because they were love sick? I'm laughing right now going through some scenarios I've witnessed. Yep, all we need is love.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Most defiantly yes.

When you truly love someone, there is nothing that can be said or done however logical or true that can enable you to see reason.

When you Truly Love someone it is with you forever, regardless of where you are or who you are with.

When you Truly Love someone, Even if they hate you and do all the most hurtful things in the world to you, you can't stop your yearning for them.

When you are Truly in Love, you will do anything with the exception of harm others that you love!

Korg.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Is 'love' a mild form of insanity?

To answer the question you must have a definition of 'sanity'. How do you determine a person is sane? What is sane?

A person who is sane does not do insane things. Ok, that sounds reasonable to me. Let’s make a list of sane and insane things. Hmmm... That could be tricky. It would be a very large list. Some of the items on the list would be sane to one person and quite normal for another.

One only has to look at world cultural customs. Some seem totally 'insane' to me. For example the Fulani sharo tradition. It is a public ceremony that demonstrates to the society that a young man has come of age, and may take a wife. The young participant is continuously whipped by someone else, called a challenger, but he must show no signs of pain. Blood and injuries are usually sustained. Many have died in this ceremony and survivors are deemed courageous. For me... madness. It would result in many years in prison in my culture.

I suppose my point is that I do not understand the question. But it made me think anyway

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Love defies logic so yea it is a sort of insanity.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   
I want this = I love this.... = obsessiveness

A very early stage in childhood and if not handled properly, you get plenty of "passion criminals".

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Obsession is not "love"......they are certainly not the same things. Love is a really bizarre emotion to surmise and it makes you do some stupid things that you wouldn't do otherwise....it is however not obsession.

Assuming I am a kid I would have a form of material obsession and want to have the latest xbox game or something like that...love on the other hand is a different thing altogether.

[edit on 30-6-2010 by Leonardo01]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Leonardo01
Obsession is not "love"......they are certainly not the same things. Love is a really bizarre emotion to surmise and it makes you do some stupid things that you wouldn't do otherwise....it is however not obsession.

Hormone
[from Greek hormōn, from horman to stir up, urge on, from hormē impulse, assault]

www.thefreedictionary.com...

Hormones are chemical agents which ENFORCE certain reactions. You can call it LOVE, but in truth such behavior is conditioned. And in combination with social "channeling", you get something quite opposite from love as defined in some idealistic/romantic system of interpretation.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   
What is sanity?
What is normality?

Do you want to have tablet to force you to robot state? Because when you lost emotions you will be like robot. Emotions make us human and love especially.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Love is a emotion...just like like "hate", "anger" and "envy" are emotions. I agree that it is a really powerful emotion but then again emotions are just a state of mind which change eventually...over a period of time the feeling withers down.

It also depends on how you look at it. The romantic idealistic notion of love is a fallacy and does not exist....essentially love is just a chemical reaction in your brain but most people would not like that definition.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by leon419
What is sanity?
What is normality?

Do you want to have tablet to force you to robot state? Because when you lost emotions you will be like robot. Emotions make us human and love especially.

This is simply not true. Emotions are conditioned behavior. For each emotion there is a trigger. Therefore, being a robot (which in truth means "worker", because it is a Czech word for worker, and this form "robot" is taken from Karel Capek play R.U.R.) means being emotional. Exactly the opposite of what you are "made to believe".

The word robot was introduced to the public by Czech writer Karel Čapek in his play R.U.R. (Rossum's Universal Robots), published in 1920.[15] The play begins in a factory that makes artificial people called robots, but they are closer to the modern ideas of androids, creatures who can be mistaken for humans. They can plainly think for themselves, though they seem happy to serve. At issue is whether the robots are being exploited and the consequences of their treatment.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
The point about being a robot is moot now....emotions can be programmed into robots too. They have already created very real looking androids...you couldn't tell the difference from a distance....

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 06:37 AM
link   
The only people who debate the existence of love are those who haven't actually experienced it yet, or those who have been so shattered by the loss of love that they deny it's very existence. It's part of the human condition, it's part biological, and it's very real.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Leonardo01

Obsession is an element of True Love.

I think that romantic love though can be felt in different degrees. They say love is different every time you fall in love.

My experience has been that I have loved the women I have been with at varying degrees.

However there can only ever be ONE True Love. One person you love completely that no one can ever be compared to, regardless of when it was in your life.

Korg.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Obsession is an element of True Love.

I think that romantic love though can be felt in different degrees. They say love is different every time you fall in love.

My experience has been that I have loved the women I have been with at varying degrees.

However there can only ever be ONE True Love. One person you love completely that no one can ever be compared to, regardless of when it was in your life.

Korg.

Well that's exactly what I am saying that love is a concoction of various emotions...however obsession does not equate to love.

Every woman I have met has said that "I am the love of her life"....true love is only an illusion.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Very stretchy concept seems Love to be

top topics

<<   2 >>

join