It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Distance An Illusion

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   
You walk to the fridge, you get a beer, or wine.
You have walked say fifteen paces from your lounge to fridge as an example, or have you?
Have you in reality not moved at all.
This is perhaps the secret of the ages.
WE DO NOT MOVE AT ALL IN SPACE< THERE IS NO SPACE?
I admit I hav emoved several times to the fridge in the last hour , but intuition tells me , the truth is here.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Expired

I don't move, I simply move the rest of the universe.

I'm not quite sure what you mean, can you explain further? Should you get something other than beer from the fridge?

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightFantastic

I don't move, I simply move the rest of the universe.

This is exactly it. As we walk, its like a hampster moving a very large wheel but staying in the same basic place.

I've contemplated the cosmos in such terms before...interesting mental exercise...

Or more abstractly, one can conceive of the situation such that there is zero movement at all. The feeling of effort in walking, biking, etc. is merely effort expended by the mind in manifesting a changing world.

Pretty solipsistic to think this way but kind of fun, nevertheless.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   

thank you for the much needed eureka moment.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   
i agree that it is fun to consider such things...however totally impractical. but, being an impractical person, i will go ahead and agree with you.

there is a single point of stillness within each of us. this stillness is the only thing that is really real. all of the movement that is whooping around this point of stillness is an illusion.

there are layers of this illusion, naturally. and before we arrive at a fully functional three dimensional space, we must navigate a two dimensional space. this is a concept space, AKA mind.

you would have a very difficult time seperating the mental construct of going to the fridge vs. actually physically going to the fridge.

i dont want to get too hokey mumbo jumbo. so i will stop. but i like your thought process here.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Hi,

I know I keep pushing this book but Julian Barbour's 'End of Time' scientifically comes up with a similar theory - not only is there no time but no movement.

We 'play' the different configurations of space as a movie - he has a great example of a kingfisher flying - we see it as a bird in flight but it is only a set of relative configurations (that have balanced histories e.g the kingfisher doesn't suddenly turn into a wolf - although somewhere in the universe because of quantum uncertainty it might.)

by the way what sort of beer - it appears to have a profound effect?

Peace!

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

There is the "idea" that we see all in the past as it takes time, just fractions of seconds for the light to travel from the image to your eyes.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

There is the "idea" that we see all in the past as it takes time, just fractions of seconds for the light to travel from the image to your eyes.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 02:43 AM
link   
it has to do with our relationship descriptors.

if something spins in relationship to the rest of the universe, does it spin or does the entire rest of the universe revolve around it?

We favor the more simple, efficient explanation.

Instead of the epicycles of the planets to put the Earth at the center, it all becomes much more easily 'explained' that the sun is the center of the solar system.

While you can 'explain' the cold beer arriving in your hand as wild topological confabulations of space & material objects floating moving with/upon it, it is probably a much more coherent, simpler 'explanation' to say you willed your body to move to the relatively 'fixed' refrigerator & reached out & grabbed the ice-cold beer after opening the refer door. & then subsequently walked back to the sofa to continue in your heart felt dedication to the mission of couchpotatotry.

[confession: i am an evil wicked chain yanker, whenever the opportunity seems to present itself.]

But it could just be that our brains are too damn lazy to accept a more complicated 'reality'.

So our 'shared reality' may be a function of the lowest, laziest, sleaziest common, reductive denominator.

If we were energetic, enthusiastic, creative thinkers,
we would have wonderful, amazing confabulous explanations, instead of those lazy 'scientific' ones.

Science & achim's razor are functions of laziness?

'Reality' is a function of brain capacity limitations?

Certainly something to ponder, if one is not a tired, brain enslaved clone to the religion of limited possibilities that is.

Am i playing or am i serious? i am not sure.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 02:46 AM
link   
As a child I used to think that the earth was a ball beneath my feet and as I walked the ball would rotate.

Then I turned 3 and figured out what the score was.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Were all just empty space, mostly but some amounts of energy. Everything you see is the same. Its all a movie playing in your head interpreted by your brain.. your brain creates taste, touch, smell, sight, sound... all of it is manufactured in your brain which is.. empty space and energy.

That being said, when you do seem to "move" its all in your head, in reality nothing moves, it is all what our brains make it out to be.

Just like the matrix, except there are not people attached to a computer in chairs, its our conscience that is attached to the REAL world of empty space and energy.

To sum up: real world (empty space, energy) feeds to our conscience , our brain interprets that information as electrical impulses.

if you look at it that way then nothing can move. The wind on your face when driving your car is just interpreted as .. wind on your face, dosnt mean there actually is wind on your face, your brain manufactured it.

[edit on 30-6-2010 by R3KR]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Science is the product of lazy, tired, [religion beat upon?] reductive addicted minds?

Religion is the product of borrowed [stolen? vampired? looted] or implied/pretended confabulation?

Science is the rational cross to fend off the parasitic religious vampires?

Confabulation is the amazing source of infinite possibilities.

Is confabrication applied confabulation?

Does the passage of time kill possibilities or does it simply demand a more convoluted pathway to their revelation?

Live the [hopefully benign] confabulation, & tell time to kiss your hairy arse, . . . . TOMORROW!

[edit on 30-6-2010 by slank]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   
There is a chemical reaction when I walk to the fridge, whereby the atoms coming into contact with me, become me, and I forgo an equal part of myself to become them in the space I vacate, so as not to create a black hole, which would spell the Earth's doom. *You're welcome!*

This atom-transformation process works like a charm, until I meet up with stubborn atoms who refuse to become me (a wall, corner of a table, 4-inch piece of broken glass on the floor, etc.) Some would say I need only BELIEVE and I can overcome.

I'm drinking the beer while I contemplate this...

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by new_here
There is a chemical reaction when I walk to the fridge, whereby the atoms coming into contact with me, become me, and I forgo an equal part of myself to become them in the space I vacate, so as not to create a black hole, which would spell the Earth's doom. *You're welcome!*

This atom-transformation process works like a charm, until I meet up with stubborn atoms who refuse to become me (a wall, corner of a table, 4-inch piece of broken glass on the floor, etc.) Some would say I need only BELIEVE and I can overcome.

I'm drinking the beer while I contemplate this...

There is no wall

or no beer

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by R3KR

There is no wall

or no beer

Waaaahhhh.... gimme my beer back!!! (The wall can keep its non-wall status)

I also want a really cool pic for my posts-- but then your brain would just manufacture whatever it wanted to see, huh? ;-)

[edit on 30-6-2010 by new_here]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 03:28 AM
link   
The actual truth of what happened on the path to the cold beer arriving in your grasping paw is,

the Vartrunian princess had to be rescued using the information stored in a microdot parked inconspicuously on That bottle of beer [notice it was NOT the foremost bottle you grabbed but the a little a back & off to the side of it. (details are everything)]

The desperate mind servants of the princess projected the seeming 'desire' [did you REALLY want that beer so soon?] and then warped, rippled & wrinkled space time around you to make it seem like you went & got the beer but in reality they levitated it to while your comfortable fat arse was embedded happily in the couch cushion. But they distorted your brain perceptions to make you 'think' you did it. The karnabunkle camper that lives in the space under your sofa & can travel at superluminal speed dashes was hired by the princess's minions to obtain the precious microdot & deliver it to the quiet librarybar down on 17th & Twist Avenues & very discretely passed it off to Fredrick Crackerberry, who is in fact actually an entire civilization of micro-beings pathologically bent to create their own hyper safe universe bubble to be embedded in subspace to escape the ancient slam-wammer of their dust entombed tiddle-hopper leather bound histories, but that is another tale.
They due to the huge numbers of beings are able to parse, calibrate & decrypt intensively stored information. But tragically they were attacked in mid translation by the princesses most wicked & diabolical enemy, the stink serpent. Vast numbers of their peoples were torn apart, ripped to shreds & eaten, and with a very tasty barbecue sauce if i do say so my self.
First the stink serpent inserts all 40,000 of its very spiney sharp hollow teeth in genetically engineered jaw sockets, which took about 3 weeks of intensive effort, but luckily it had some spare time looping available so it seemed to any external observers to happen in only a flash.
And let me tell you from experience, if you really, really want to irritate & enrage a stink serpent, and trust me you don't, then tap a single one of their 40,000 installed teeth & they all start falling out like tiny thin dominos, that make the most amazing delicate crystal chiming chaos.

oops, brain fart. i lost my train of thought.
I will have to go back to the station & get a new ticket to ride that train.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 03:36 AM
link   
no beer!!!

damn. what is the point of living?

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Ideas do the work, not us.
The idea of perception is space and time (projection).
From the position of knowing, the OP is right.
Being immersed in perception, movement APPEARS to be real.
In truth, movement is the principle of discerning (which is perception).
And time is just STACKING perception bits in a linear order (projection).

And, yes, there is no place for truth in projection. It "spits it out"

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Interesting post.

Let me provide a quote for which may help you on your quest for a non-answer

If you cannot now be sure that you are not a brain in a vat, then you cannot rule out the possibility that all of your beliefs about the external world are false. Or, to put it in terms of knowledge claims, we can construct the following skeptical argument. Let “P” stand for any belief or claim about the external world, say, that snow is white.

1. If I know that P, then I know that I am not a brain in a vat
2. I do not know that I am not a brain in a vat
3. Thus, I do not know that P.

Brain in a Vat Argument

So we can never know whether our perceptions of the physical are just that or products of an entirely different system.

[edit on 30-6-2010 by and14263]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:34 AM
link   
We're not moving since we are all holograms apparently. Probable holograms of an alternate real reality....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join