It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10,000-Year-Old Weapon Found Near Yellowstone

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   

BOULDER, Colorado -- Researchers say they have found a 10,000-year-old hunting weapon in melting ice near Yellowstone National Park.

Atlatl dart found in what amounts to a snowbank

Well I guess this is one of the positive effects of increasing global temperatures
Pretty fascinating, nonetheless, basically having archaeological materials "appearing out of nowhere".

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by vimanarider

I really enjoy when something like this is found.

Having looked at the picture, I guess this man knows what to look for. Had it been me, I probably would have stepped on it, thinking it was just a branch.

Never would I have thought that it could have been a dart!

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   
All this talk about a stick.. what good will that stick bring us?

Instead lets try to clean up the oil.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by pavelivanov22

Uhm, this forum is for Ancient & Lost Civilizations.

You must have took a wrong turn at the Grey area, while searching for the BP forum!

I still think the stick is fascinating, and up for discussion, since it's in the right area! I'd love to see an example of the implement that was used to launch it!

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose
I still think the stick is fascinating, and up for discussion, since it's in the right area! I'd love to see an example of the implement that was used to launch it!

ask and ye shall receive

[edit on 30-6-2010 by vimanarider]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Makes you wonder how many millions of cool relics have just been walked by, glanced over, thrown away, or bulldozed because they just look like sticks or rocks...

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by pavelivanov22

why do not you head on down and dip your toes in the work pool and assist in the clean up? your motivation would be of great assistance

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by pavelivanov22

Agreed, I think i burnt a whole bunch of those while I was camping there last week.
Any reasonable proof it is a weapon and not just an old stick?

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
Any reasonable proof it is a weapon and not just an old stick?

The dart Lee found -- an atlatl dart, part of a spear-like hunting weapon -- was from a birch sapling and still has personal markings on it from the ancient hunter, according to Lee. When it was shot, the 3-foot-long dart had a projectile point on one end, and a cup or dimple on the other end that would have attached to a hook on the atlatl. The hunter used the atlatl, a throwing tool about two feet long, for leverage to achieve greater velocity.

When in doubt, I find that sometimes reading the article can be helpful.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Interesting thanks for sharing!

I cant wait to see what else pops out when the ice melts.
Maybe a city or two ? That would be cool.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 03:10 AM
link   
yes, knowing there is an entire continent covered in ice makes me wonder whats under there. ancient peoples had maps detailing the land under all the ice thats there today, so that makes me wonder if they might have built something there. Perhaps something amazing! For some reason, a buried ufo always came to mind. I know, I know, but I am sure whatevers under there it`s gonna be something incredible. Only a little melt and some cool stuff has already been found. So I say let`s make the best of catastrophic climate change and learn as much history as we can before we go out in a poof of smoke...

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
sorry mate, maybee to the dude with the glasses it looks like a hunting dart, but to me it looks like a stick.

i may not be qualified to say it isnt a hunting dart, but i have spent alot of hours in bars playing alot of darts and that aint one.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
sorry mate, maybee to the dude with the glasses it looks like a hunting dart, but to me it looks like a stick.

i may not be qualified to say it isnt a hunting dart, but i have spent alot of hours in bars playing alot of darts and that aint one.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by toxicated5

Yes it is. If you would watch the video on the article page you would learn something new and fascinating. There are more darts than those found in ale houses.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by vimanarider
Well I guess this is one of the positive effects of increasing global temperatures
Pretty fascinating, nonetheless, basically having archaeological materials "appearing out of nowhere".

Meaning, of course, that it used to be warmer. Otherwise, how did the object get there? Glaciers, for the record, have been retreating at the exact same rate since about 1800, which was about the end of the Little Ice Age.

top topics

join