It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas A&M: Methane Levels In Gulf Of Mexico Up To 1,000,000 x Normal! Thats ONE MILLION!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThreeNF
If the possibility of methane igniting is there, wouldn't it have happened already? They're burning oil on the surface of the water everyday.

No, it wouldn't have happened already, because the majority of the Methane is dissolved in the seawater or frozen on the sea bed. They are burning (or "flaring" for correct terminology) the Methane off at the Top Hat, and they are also doing controlled burns of the oil across the sea surface, but the danger here doesn't even require ignition.

If the Methane that is dissolved or solidified or liquified, if it is disturbed dramatically, it is already near the saturation point and is very volatile. If it is disturbed dramatically and it all decides to change into its Gas Phase at one time, then its volume will increase by 1000's of times its current volume. Imagine the entire Gulf of Mexico rising up thousands of feet into the air, and tsunamis going in every direction, then the bubble bursts, the sea collapses back onto itself, and you get reverbations of superwaves for days and days! God Forbid that all that expanding gas were ignited, because if it were ignited, then not only do we have rapidly expanding gasses, we also have steam, and heat, and fire to contend with. To make matters worse, the Methane will deplete the Oxygen that is available, and if it ignites then the flames will use up any Oxygen that might be left.

I don't think anything anybody can say about this potential could be considered exaggeration. The worst possible scenario that you can imagine probably doesn't begin to describe the potential devastation!

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
To those who crave hysterical, open-ended "WHO KNOWS?" oil spill propaganda, this story must seem like a jackpot.

Look, all this story says is that Methane occurs naturally in seawater. High concentrations of methane in seawater can lead to the proliferation of microbes that deplete the oxygen in the water column.

Essentially, these researchers are saying: Well, there's oxygen depletion in some places, but there's not any oxygen depletion in other places, and, frankly, we just don't know WTF is going to happen.

Now.... HOW do you figure that this amounts to a revelation? It doesn't. It was a waste of fuel to fly those guys out to the Deepwater Horizon, apparently, because they're collecting conflicting data, and they JUST DON'T KNOW what's going on. Read the story. There's no discovery here, there's no enlightenment... It's just open-ended pablum, gushing out of the mouths of the enviro-tards who completely failed to make their point.

Heh heh heh... "Enviro-Tard"... I love that word.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Ahh, thanks for educating me - good info

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by paxnatus

I haven't seen anyone mention this yet, but if you look on one of the BP rover pages like this one(currently black screen): www.bp.com...

You'll see that there is a huge amount of natural gas coming out of the well:
FTA: approx. 54.1 million cubic feet of natural gas were flared.

That's a lot! And if the ships have to leave because of a hurricane, where is all that gas going to go?....

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

Come on now Doc? 100,000 barrels rushing out of the well. Most estimates show it to be about 40% Methane, so that is 40,000 barrels of Methane in liquid form. At that ocean depth, pressure, and temperature, it will stay that way, and it will settle along the sea floor. It will slowly warm and dissociate, and spread evenly through the water. The warmer the water, the less Methane it can hold in solution. It just builds, and builds, and builds.

Plus, many scientists already believe that the Gulf is Methane rich to begin with, and there are verified Brine/Methane frozen lakes at the bottom of the Gulf. Check out the links I provided, there is a mountain of evidence, video, and data proving the existence of the ancient Methane lakes.

So, regardless of how people love to hype a good catastrophe, you can't honestly be completely unconcerned about this? Can you? I live 15 miles from the coast at an elevation of about 45' asl. That means I'm screwed if it blows!

If you check out the other threads, you will find links to this happening many times before in volcanic lakes. South America had a volcanic lake erupt in this manner and it killed 15,000 people. The largest extinction event in the history of the world was blamed on Methane. This isn't a lot of hype, it is science and history talking!

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Thanx for this news. I cannot begin to describe the absolute rage and anger i am feeling regarding the appalling series of dreadful events that BP are responsible for. All this just seems to be snowballing out of control.

It seems that the people/officials who are in a position to demand that BP get off their useless backsides and DO SOMETHING, are quite happy to let them just plod along and take their time while the dangers just escalate further.
What are they waiting for???

I suggest revoking their corporate licences and permits, confiscate their wells, confiscate their profits, confiscate EVERYTHING they possess.

Why wont they allow other companies/countries to assist, what's all that about?
Why wont authorities force BP to accept outside help?
Because it's obvious they've been unbelievably negligent and are totally incapable and incompetent, the state of the Gulf is proof of this, and 'in your face' proof too.

How much worse is it going to get before someone (TPTB) demands that BP accept offers of outside help. Two heads are better than one.

If you or I cocked the job up we're paid to do, to even a fraction of the extent that BP have, would we still have a job?? We know the answer to that dont we?

Boot BP off the rig and let someone else have a go. Lets face it, they cant possibly do a worse job than BP can they?

BP = BLOODY PATHETIC

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   

That means I'm screwed if it blows!

I'm in So Calif. Your welcome here getready. Head this way if you feel the need. I can accomadate 2 easily, more if need be. I think you should get as far away as you can.

[edit on 30-6-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThreeNF
If the possibility of methane igniting is there, wouldn't it have happened already? They're burning oil on the surface of the water everyday.

It needs nuclear technology to get ignited....Wonders if somehow a dark majik nuclear device will work its hot a## way over to the GoM, BETTA NOT

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

It doesn't need nuclear to ignite? Now, you might be talking about the Nuke option for "fusing" the well shut, and if they try that bone-headed idea, it will surely upset all that dissolved methane and likely melt the frozen deposits of it. If they try that option, I am certainly headed for Randyvs' house!

All the Methane really needs is sufficiently warm water (Methane gets nice and comfy in cooler waters, and then becomes more volatile in warmer ones), and some kind of event to shake it up. Could be rough seas from a storm, could be some seismic activity, could be some mistake at the well head, or some explosion at another rig, it could just be a certain saturation point where the Methane begins to bubble up and we get a cascade effect. If they get the leak stopped, and if we get a few storms that come through without upsetting it, and if they continue flaring, then more than likely nature will take care of all this, but first and foremost, THE LEAK MUST BE STOPPED!

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

You know good and well that the likelihood of a frozen lake of Methane "blowing" from a depth of a mile under the ocean is REMOTE.

WTF is going to cause it to "blow"? You don't mean "blow up," as in rapid oxidation, because that's not a physical possibility in an environment where Oxygen is a rare commodity. A mile down in the shît, there's not enough oxygen to light a match, nevermind trigger the rapid oxidation of a frozen lake of methane.

Hell, Nature has already dealt with this situation, HAS BEEN dealing with it for millions of years — there are creatures at those depths who live on frozen hydrocarbons, baby. They evolved, over untold MILLIONS of years, feeding on frozen methane at the bottom of the ocean, so we know that this isn't an unheard-of environmental catastrophe. Life found a way, as the man said, and Nature has the situation under control.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 6/30/2010 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Thanks friend for the clarification. I just feel a major explosion from a nuclear device will began a domino effect with flammable-NATURAL GAS- METHANE AND WHAT EVER ELSE MAY BE COMMING UP THATS NOT MENTIONED. And personally to me it seems that WILL become an option eventually if those secondary wells fail. I hope not but from what I have observed ANYONE DOWN IN THAT REGION ISNT SAFE AT ALL.....TOO MUCH B.S. GOING ON AND NOT ENOUGH COMPASSION FOR LIFE OVERALL. AGAIN I HOPE NOT

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by diapertime
Very Interesting - While the bubble is terrifying the dead zones in the sea seem likely. It didn't say how long they would last - does anyone know?

What I'm waiting to hear about is massive amounts of dead water creatures killed by toxic waters. Those would be the "canarys" of the spill.

It is a puzzle to me why no word along that line. Perhaps the contaminated water spreads slowly and most water life can simply swim out of reach--until eventually there may be no place to go?

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
@ Doc and
@ Op

Yes, and Yes! Doc, I don't think it will "blow" as in oxidize, I think it could "blow" as in change state and rapidly change volume. The Gulf gets warmer, the dissolved Methane from the Well gets over saturated, and all of a sudden it decides to release from the water to the air and you get a rapidly aerated Gulf.

For Op, yes, if they choose the Nuke option after the Relief Wells fail, then I am instantly out of here, and that will satisfy Docs question as to what will disturb the ancient frozen Methane!

For the Record, I believe 100% that the Relief Wells will work! I also believe that if they do not work, that there is no hope for the Gulf Coast. If the Relief Wells fail, we have a global catastrophe on our hands. The Nuke option may be the only option left at that point, and I believe it would be catastrophic to try it, and I believe it would be catastrophic to do nothing. If the Relief Wells fail it will be catastrophic no matter what!

(For those thinking we can build a bigger tophat, it won't work for long. The 7 miles of underground pipe is quickly eroding due to the uncontrolled venting of oil/sand/gas/rock mixture. The pipe already has sub-seafloor ruptures, and they are only going to get worse, that is what killed the topkill procedure. If we don't plug it near the reservoir, we can't plug it at all.)

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

There have been many reports mostly by those who live there that at night BP goes out and picks up the dead fish and other off the shore so the morning all looks well............I am just doing a quick response to your remarks and I dont have those links from where I heard this from.....

I am sure information like this is buried as deep as it can be.......but its out there

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun
What I'm waiting to hear about is massive amounts of dead water creatures killed by toxic waters. Those would be the "canarys" of the spill. It is a puzzle to me why no word along that line.

EXACTLY!

Where ARE all them dead birds and turtles and dolphins and sharks and crabs and Sea Monkies? Gee, they're just not appearing on cue for the breathless Mainstream Media.

People, get real... We didn't INVENT oil leaks in the Gulf nor elsewhere on the planet. Oil naturally escapes into the Earth's oceans ALL THE TIME. The ocean has evolved failsafes to deal with it. Flags go up, marine creatures avoid problem spots, and microbes eat up the spillage.

But our advanced thinking tells us to NUKE the goddamned thing, right? Yeah, THAT'LL restore the natural balance.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
It is not a matter of if an evacuation will be enacted but when the

evacuation will take place along the Gulf as the leaks continues and they

will. Will the whole state of Florida be evacuated? These are all serious

issues that will have to be addressed as the oil plumes are showing up

on the floor of the Gulf away from the original oil leaks. This would in my

opinion be the modern version of the Trail Of Tears. ^Y^

[edit on 30-6-2010 by amari]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Something to think about.

[edit on 30-6-2010 by JBA2848]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
What will BP do to hide the dead humans when they start to drop?
I hate to be morbid, but dead fish can be covered up, humans not so much. I fear for the safety of those near the gulf shores. I really hope there is a solution other then a string of ghost towns along that coast in a few years.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

The Gulf seeps a little all the time. Tar Balls have been common since before the industrial age, but nothing like this.

Here are the reasons you don't see more dead sea life:

1. The vast majority of the oil is below the surface at a considerable depth due to the use of dispersants, and due to the leak being 1 mile below the surface. Things don't float at that depth. Not oil, not dead fish, not anything. Therefore most of the damage and death is invisible to us.

2. Yes sealife can move about and avoid the areas for the most part. The fishermen that I know from around here are saying that the fishing has never been better! Approximately 37% of the Gulf is offlimits right now. The part that is open is seeing awesome fishing results, because the fish are moving from bad areas to good areas.

3. If you went down to the beach on your own ( I have ) you would see a significant change in the water, in the birds, in the dead fish, etc. There are always some dead fish, jellyfish, horshoe crabs, etc. But now we are seeing the occasional dead dolphin, we are seeing many dead birds, the water is not emerald green and clear, it is darker and murkier. Where we used to only see seaweed after a major storm, now the seaweed beds are dying and dislodging and the beaches are covered in it.

In Destin, and Panama City, and Pensacola the cities and counties have big tractors that comb the beaches every night. They have done this for years. That is why they have the pristine beaches that you see in photos. Right now, they can't keep up with it. Right now some of the stuff is too big for their tractors, and things are getting clogged, because there is so much of it.

In other words it is there, it is apparent to the residents, it is hidden below the waves, it is cleaned up by the communities, but it is there!

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
i get it now
they knew ofcours this bubbl was there
also since this is a ff they know its going 2 explode soon
this explains the media manipulation which has been so bad the last 3 2 4 months as never b4
i give it max a month b4 a major explosion and tsunami will hit usa

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join