It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Austerity US style is coming, retirement age raised to 70...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   
And of course cutting services and social programs.

John Boehner: Raise Social Security Retirement Age to 70

House Republican Leader John Boehner said in an interview with the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review out today that he would back raising the Social Security retirement age to 70 for those who will not retire for another 20 years.

It's also important to note that some in the liberal base have complained that Democrats themselves are working to scale back Social Security and Medicare via President Obama's bipartisan deficit commission, which is charged with bringing down the deficit to three percent of the economy by 2015.

The democrats are acting like they don't want this, but let's face it, sooner or later the US government is gonna be FORCED to do that... since it'll be bankrupt like Greece.

Now the idea is already being discussed... which is a big step towards it.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Great. We're all going to have alzheimer's patients running checkouts at Wally World.

And yes, that was meant to be both sarcastic and crass... because it's a cold, hard reality that we're all going to face.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
PSSSSt... the USA has been bankrupt for decades. F.D.R. in 1933.. "The New Deal" Look it up!

2nd Line

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I keep telling you people: Start your own (small) businesses and forget being told what you can do and how you should do it. Most importantly though, look toward a money-free economy. Forget valuation. If you're hungry, you need food. If you're sick, you need care. If you're cold, you need warm clothes. Think in terms of everything being of equal value! All things are just as necessary as anything else. Follow your heart to find what you love doing most so that the service you provide is top quality!

Look at doctors nowadays. They're in it only for the cash. Same with anybody doing anything for the big bucks. Look at the state of the banks now that the greediest have been in charge. But they are the acclaimed "experts"! All of these highly paid professionals are failures at their jobs. That's quite simply because they don't do it for the love of their fellow man. They follow the money, not the heart.

Remember our unalienable rights "...life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness..."? You choose to surrender those every day you pay homage to the dollar. Forget it. It's history. Use your heart to find your personal way forward to freedom.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
We have retirement age folks now who cannot afford to retire. 70 years old? Can you imagine working all your life without able to retire and enjoy your later years? Most 70 year olds have arthritus and many other health problems. I am 52 and live with physical pain every day of my life. Working until I am 70 would be like torture. Then again I may not live that long and won't have to worry about it. Who knows? With the way the world is going now, I really don't think I care if I live that long.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:57 AM
link   

he would support raising the Social Security retirement age to 70 to help

[to] pay for the war in Afghanistan[!!!].
content.usatoday.com... lect-social-security/1

To pay for the impossible war dream the GOP Don Quixotes & Dems want to take your Social Security from you.

The Afghanistan war was lost 5 years ago, & these psychos are desperately trying to breathe life & hope into that long dead corpse.

They are INSANE.

Treasonously INSANE.

It is revolution time for a safe sane America.

[edit on 30-6-2010 by slank]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Where I live in Europe they want to change the pension age to 67.

If the politicians did it to lower our national debt I might even agree, but this is purely so they have money to bail out their elitist friends, have more wars, make sure there is money to track people who need to pay big bucks for low quality health care and save money on social security.

There are many people who won't make 70, seems the more healthy people have to compensate for those.

I really feel sick about the totalitarian way the US and the rest of the world is going.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   
I think many people's idea of retirement and being a senior or "seasoned" citizen is skewed anyway.

Many retired people are not retired...even when given the choice. Good health and advances in medicines have expanded the active age well beyond 62-65-67-70. I know fishermen that still fish for a living. I know farmers that still farm. Heck, my dad is 81, and my mom is 75...they walk 2 miles everyday...cut two yards, have a big garden, can and freeze, travel...

One of the problems with retirement and Social Security is that people are living longer... and are pulling out of the program more than they put in. It really is at heart, a giant Ponzi Scheme.

If you want to retire...you need to invest in yourself and your future. Start now. My wife and I are saving and investing as hard as we can...I am not counting on Social Security to even be there when I retire. We will count on us.

Further, many of the "retirees" I know have started second careers or even their own businesses... they have fruit stands, raise livestock and go to market, do landscaping... they are now doing what they really enjoy and making some money too.

Many of them reached the same conclusion.... golf or fishing everyday gets boring. Sitting in a rocker and watching TV will kill you quicker. So, after about 6 months...they got tired of it and went back to work...

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   
It would be about time the people woke up and realized that the whole world has been run on a day-by-day basis milking every last penny out of the society and leaving the burden on the next generations. It is absolutely insane a nation can run on borrowed money, since it has to bee paid back eventually, with interest.

But no, the important thing for the politicians is that they get the job done as easily as possible, it does not matter that they will lay a death sentence on the following generations.

This talk about retirement age 70 is just the beginning.. the money is up and soon such things as social programs and retirement programs will be gone. The same exact thing is happening all over the world. I saw this coming 5 years ago when i started my work in the health care industry, back then everyone laughed at my words. Now everyone is acting surprised when the government has decided to cut back on retirement and is struggling to find money to take care of our old people.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Do you think you can have nuclear aircraft carriers, but somehow the basics needed for life for all - it's an "impossible dream" ? "We don't have the technology yet" or what ? So you need to work until you are 100?
That's what the masters tell you.

[edit on 30-6-2010 by pai mei]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Start researching into the type of retirement package our senators and congress members (and their wives) have.

I did a post on this a couple years back and "nobody cared".

Well, it's come back to bite each and every one of you.

Our politicians in Washington and the owners of our largest corporations will retire "in style" sailboads, vacation homes, dinner at the finest restaurants and the best medical care money can buy.

Ahhhh Christmas in the Carribean"

The rest of us will have to bop until we drop - paying for the elite handful's old age.

Until the majority (not just a few of us) wake the frak up, unite and rebel it's going to only get worse.

Know your enemy.

They're not over in Iraq, Iran, Russia - they are right here under your nose.

Once a person, any person reaches old age and have contributed to society they ought to be treated with respect and allowed to live the last few years of their life in comfort.

There is enough to go around, IF TPTB would share.

But again, some people sit down at the table, cut themselves 3/4 of the pie and leave 1/4 for the rest of us to fight over.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 06:24 AM
link   
This is silly. They can't force anyone to wait and retire at some government defined age, can they. What is this, slave nation now? I retired about a month after my 40th birthday, and no G-men came knocking at my door telling me to get my ass back to work. That was about 12 years ago, and I am not about to go back to work EVER again. You can retire at any age you want in this country, this is still Americon. Just tell your boss to shove it and walk out the door and live off your personal savings.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Work till you drop
i've a better plan.

Rothchild i am told has saving of ................... wait for it ....................
$500tr

i don't know if it's true but all we need to do is hang him up side down and ask him nicely if he would like to help us poor old folk out because i think he would say yes.

Please remind me what we are paying taxes for apart from paying interest on loans created out of thin air and to get the rubbish taken away.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Shamanistical

That works in every country in the world, not just america

I retired (at least temporary) at the age of 24. The world must change, the people must get their rights back, before i continue to contribute to the society.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   
This is just a book keeping trick.
Instead of getting money from Social Security retirement more money will come from the Social Security disability fund.

Or like me i get my disability check from the VA as a non service disability pension.

The government will pay any way but not from Social Security retirement.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by above

Of course, to make my savings last, I live at what some would call the poverty level, but I don't feel like I am. I live simple, have few needs, never buy anything that I really don't need, don't have a TV (I don't even care to watch it), drive an older car (and rarely do drive it), and I have never felt more freer and happier. I would not give this up for all the tea in china if I had to go back to work, deal with rush hour traffic, bow to a boss, etc. I really think that if most people saved their income and lived simple, did without so much junk in their lives, we could all retire after 20 years working and live comfortable simple lives until the end. Problem though with many people is that, when they get old, they start running up ridiculous medical expenses in some attempt to cheat natural death. There's vegged out old people just laying around in geriatric homes being kept artificially alive that's costing society too much money. That's not the way I plan to go though. If and when I start racking up medical expenses that exceed my worth, toss me into the abyss.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Too bad our elected leaders on the Hill didn't try harder to work out the details of a concept that has been successful in other nations like Chile.

How President Bush's Social Security Reform Died: Kevin Hassett

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   
The problem is that many of us baby boomers have reached or are close to reaching the 65 retirement age. Many of us will have to continue to work until we die. Thankfully, I have my VA disability check and medical care. But for so many others, I think things are going to become very stark.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
You don't know what the future holds. You may be quite surprised. Just go with the flow. Everything will be fine.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Many Americans will be lucky to be able to retire at all and will work until they die. I do not plan on counting on the government to retire and figure on retiring at around 60. You will be surprised how little money you can survive on once you pay off your big bills like the mortgage.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join