It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School Officials in Mass. Town Won't Let Students Recite Pledge of Allegiance

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   

When Sean Harrington entered his freshman year at Arlington High School, he noticed something peculiar: There were no American flags in the classrooms, and no one recited the Pledge of Allegiance.

So Harrington enlisted the aid of his fellow students, and now, three years later, they have succeeded in getting flags installed in the classrooms. But the pledge still will not be recited.

The Arlington, Mass., school committee has rejected the 17-year-old's request to allow students to voluntarily recite the Pledge of Allegiance, because some educators are concerned that it would be hard to find teachers willing to recite it, according to a report in the Arlington Patch.

Link

Are you kidding me? What does religion have to do with saying the Pledge of Allegiance. Stuff like this makes me proud to live in the redneck south.

[edit on 29-6-2010 by Alien Mind]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I will support using the original Pledge of Allegiance in the class rooms.
"I pledge allegiance to my Flag and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all. "

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alien Mind
Are you kidding me? What does religion have to do with saying the Pledge of Allegiance. Stuff like this makes me proud to live in the redneck south.

because of the line that says

one nation UNDER GOD

and I'm with ya in the redneck south

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   

When Sean Harrington entered his freshman year at Arlington High School, he noticed something peculiar: There were no American flags in the classrooms, and no one recited the Pledge of Allegiance.

This is a different perspective. Where I grew up (New Zealand), we didn't have flags in the classroom and never once in my time at both primary school or high school sung the national anthem. Yet I'm as patriotic to my nation as you are to yours. That's not to say anybody would have stopped us if we had decided to sing the anthem.

I've always felt weird when I imagine having to recite an oath of allegence to anyone.

What exactly, are you pledging allegiance to? Is it the government that runs the country, or the country itself, or the ideals currently in place in your country, or the ideals that founded your country? I've never been sure. Can someone please enlighten me? Please don't take this as an attack, I'm genuinely curious (and home from work with the flu, so I've plenty of time to spend on ATS today)

Thank in advance.

[edit on 29/6/10 by shamus78]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint

Originally posted by Alien Mind

because of the line that says

one nation UNDER GOD

and I'm with ya in the redneck south

Ah, that must be it. But what do they care? It doesn't say Christian God, or Islam God or whatever. It's not like they are making a pledge to an evil entity or something.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I also support restoring the pledge to the pre-Knights of Columbus pledge, or even the original simple one.

The addition of "Under God" is not needed and does not reflect a diverse society.

Also, I've never been a fan of the pledge, especially in school. I tend to not swear allegiance to anything, even this nation. The ideas and principles of this nation (most of them anyway) are what's important, not the name on the door or the men who run it.

I say screw the pledge, personally.

Peace
KJ

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star
Ah, that must be it. But what do they care? It doesn't say Christian God, or Islam God or whatever. It's not like they are making a pledge to an evil entity or something.

It's understood to be the Christian god (and I suppose the Jewish god by extension).

Not everyone is a theist, let alone a monotheist. While not a direct "support" of a religion, it certainly does narrow down what one is supposed to believe to be true through "unification of thought".

In any case, I'd prefer children know what they are getting before they make a pledge to any nation or government.

It's only fair really.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by shamus78
What exactly, are you pledging allegiance to?

It's a pledge to the country itself, so the government seems to be included by extension.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Good!!!!!! Minors should not be pledging to anything.

I've read threads about other countries manipulating the minds of youth by propaganda.

What do you think the pledge is?

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   
I can't say the Pledge in good conscience. Not while I believe that secession is a viable alternative to tyranny in the current government.

We're not one Nation, we're a collection of States.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Alien Mind

Whats to stop Sean Harrington from reciting the pledge during lunchtime?

And why do kids have to constantly get a drumming about national pride, why MUST class rooms have american flags? Are the parents incapable of teaching their own kids? Yes the American flag is a symbol but I pritty sure going about by day you could find plenty of things outside, on the TV, on the internet regarding national patriotism, so why MUST we drum it in the classroom?

I have no problem with classrooms having the flag and acknowledging american pride, but I do not see why it MUST be so. We should be getting the educational standards of american children in comparison to those of Japan and Europe, not to get all distracted by this nationalism. We have plenty of that outside the classrooms and we have other more important issues concerning the educational standards in this nation.

[edit on 30-6-2010 by Southern Guardian]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Maybe because they don't want them to become slaves?

'Under God'
in subordination to a supreme master
servitude, slavery, submission

It was perverted into the prayer of allegiance instead of its original non-denominational pledge. Sometime in the 1950's i believe.

Religious, mindless slaves, instead of rational, self-determined people.

More religious prostitution for their Satanic master instead of heavenly democracy of collectivist sane angels.

top topics

join