It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Oil Spill from Above

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I know many people have been looking at the oil spill from BP live feeds or other feeds. I was wanting to start a thread for looking at it from above.

There is a program called Flash Earth. You can look at images that are supposed to be updated daily from Nasa satellites. Well if you go there, look at the Nasa one and keep zooming in. Look around near the coast of Louisiana and where New Orleans is, and you will see the slick of oil really well.

I was surprised about how well I could see it.

If you are zoomed way out, you will just see the sun shining on the water, and that isn't it. So zoom in some more and look near the coast and you will see it.

I think this is probably the best way to see what it looks like from the air. If you have another program like this, then please post because I like to look at satellite images. I don't think google earth updates enough to be useful for this. It only updates like once a year, I think.

Also, you can see cloud cover and see hurricanes forming, if you know what to look for.

www.flashearth.com
There is nothing to download here, it just loads the images on your screen.
Do you know of where else I can look?

[edit on 29-6-2010 by jessieg]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
This thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...&addstar=1&on=9113351#pid9113351

HAs some great links to images 'from above' as well as some great information.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Yeah, that's not a very popular way to view the "disaster," though, because it places the scale of the leak in proper perspective. It's not some vast, amorphous black blob covering the Gulf... Rather, it's a comparatively small disturbance way up in the far northern Gulf, barely visible from space without telescopy.

To place it in further perspective, the total volume of crude leaked from the Deepwater Horizon would NOT even fill the New Orleans Superdome, which is completely invisible in these satellite images.

The only thing ominous about this incident is the propaganda and hysteria run rampant.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity
The only thing ominous about this incident is the propaganda and hysteria run rampant.

That's a pretty offensive and ignorant thang to say. I doubt very much that all those dead dolphins and sharks and birds and turtles and jellyfish and coral reefs and fish and plankton and whatever not and mother earth herself would say that this attack against them committed by the selfish greedy self-gratifying self-serving hewmons of Earth is a propaganda and hysteria thing. May mother nature drench humanity in the same if they think it's all propaganda and hysteria. May she rip a huge hydrogen sulfide and methane fart upon them all and see if they still think it's all just propaganda and hysteria.
And hey, lets keep it in perspective when it happens, I mean, it's ONLY dead hewmons for crying out loud.

[edit on 29-6-2010 by Divinorumus]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Divinorumus

and you are trying to prove his point about hysteria wrong?

secondline

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Divinorumus

That's a pretty offensive and ignorant thang to say. I doubt very much that all those dead dolphins and sharks and birds and turtles and jellyfish and coral reefs and fish and plankton and whatever not and mother earth herself would say that this attack against them committed by the selfish greedy self-gratifying blah blah blah mumbo jumbo bullcrap blah...

"All those dead dolphins and sharks and birds and turtles and jellyfish and coral reefs and fish and plankton and"...

WHERE?

The only ignorant and offensive statements are coming out of the ignorant and hysterical enviro-tards, claiming all this devastation with NO PROOF WHATSOEVER.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

BPs cover up seems to be rather successful then...

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Here's another thread of mine with satellite pics from NASA. They are updated once or twice a week.

Oil spill satellite photos

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
BPs cover up seems to be rather successful then...

What are they "covering up"? As far as I know, BP is the only entity with a bunch of ROV cameras LIVE and on-the-scene at ground zero. The greatest coverup is in the Mainstream Media, delivering the dire ANECDOTES and a handful of isolated and posed photographic opportunities.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
that website sucks u can barley see anything

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   

NO PROOF WHATSOEVER.

I'm sorry, but I do not have the equipment or expertise to dive down into the gulf waters to show you what has happened to thousand year old coral reefs, nor all the dead sea life that's raining down from above littering the ocean floors (Corexit will do that you know, I've seen dead dolphins down there on the gulf floor on those ROVs, but all that frozen methane raining down has begun covering up all that evidence now). But one day, maybe, if humanity is still around, someone will provide the evidence. Humanity deserves extinction for their CONTINUED crimes against nature.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThaLoccster
Here's another thread of mine with satellite pics from NASA. They are updated once or twice a week.

Oil spill satellite photos

Thanks for that link, I've been following it and your posts for a couple of weeks now...

Taking the NASA image of the oil leak (ABOVE), which I've enhanced with RED, I additionally scaled down the image to fit within a satellite photo of the entire Gulf of Mexico (BELOW), providing an ACCURATE scale to the "environmental disaster"...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/95c5be1b0bcf.jpg[/atsimg]

Hmmm... Suddenly, it makes sense that they only started seeing oil on Mississippi beaches yesterday. The oil slick is just a bit of a smudge in the northern Gulf. It's not this great black blob that the "experts" are claiming.

Yeah, that really SUCKS. You can barely see anything.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Divinorumus
Humanity deserves extinction for their CONTINUED crimes against nature.

According to whom? You?

First of all, there's no evidence of a "crime" here — you've gotta be talking about Mankind's evil, evil dependence on refined petroleum products, right?

Did you get in your car and drive around today?

With every press of the accelerator, you were committing a crime of such dastardly proportions, some higher authority should intervene and smite our entire species... Is that your position?

Come on, get off your high horse. Chill. This isn't an environmental disaster. The Earth is more than capable of recovering all by itself, without gratuitously punishing the entire human species.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 6/29/2010 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Gee, and to think I felt some sympathy for you when you had your little stroke. Is the stroke the reason you are being such a jerk about this?

The oil slick might not cover the entire Gulf, but where the oil is, things are dying. And, no, I am not going to provide you with links or proof. There has been enough of this on these forums already.

While I agree that the scale of the destruction is not biblical like some would like to think, it is nevertheless affecting the lives and livelihood of a great deal of people. And it has not let up yet.

I am struggling to see what your agenda might be. And yes, I have read a lot of your responses to people who are genuinely concerned about the future of the GOM.

People are prone to overreact to disasters. You are not going to change the way they think. Let it go. Think of your health.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Thanks for the site heads up,

I will have a look at it later.

Here is a thread I started yesterday with satellite images from the time the oil leak started up until this past weekend.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Funny, you can say the same thing about your stroke.

It was just a little blob right breaking? No worries right?

[edit on 30-6-2010 by trolleleet]

new topics

top topics

join