It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pete Stark (D-CA): “Our borders are quite secure, thank you.”

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by piddles
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

"other states are possibly thinking about this" doesn't mean "other states have just as serious problems as arizona".

OK, you are right.

And that does absolutely nothing to address the reason for that post:

Arizona's tough new immigration law is driving undocumented families out. A few of the immigrants are returning to Mexico, but many simply are pulling up stakes and relocating to other parts of the United States.

Whether they are, or they may....there is an iceberg in the water.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Some people truly deserve pain and other unpleasantries bestowed upon them.

Pete Stark is one of those people.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Sorry, I'm not sure I fully understood the post. Sorry.

[edit on 6/30/2010 by Blaine91555]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
I started sending emails to people, but apparently this is already viral. It's hit the MSM.

My guess is he knows his career is over, so why hide what an ass he is anymore.

the only people who would be outraged by this are people who lean right. oh noes he really lost a big portion of his voters

If this is true, then it tells of a sad, sad state of US politics.

So, just because he is from the party that the liberal base prefers, they are ok with him being rude and unprofessional to his constituents?

You know, i didn't see too much of the room in that clip....but it sure didn't sound like he had much popular support in that sampling.

If i didn't know better, i would say you were trying to apply spin/damage control here.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   

This Congressman knows damn well things are not getting done by the govt. he is being called to the carpet and he is defensive b/c he knows it is true. What an arse!!!!

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

Originally posted by Blaine91555
I started sending emails to people, but apparently this is already viral. It's hit the MSM.

My guess is he knows his career is over, so why hide what an ass he is anymore.

the only people who would be outraged by this are people who lean right. oh noes he really lost a big portion of his voters

If this is true, then it tells of a sad, sad state of US politics.

So, just because he is from the party that the liberal base prefers, they are ok with him being rude and unprofessional to his constituents?

You know, i didn't see too much of the room in that clip....but it sure didn't sound like he had much popular support in that sampling.

If i didn't know better, i would say you were trying to apply spin/damage control here.

right, i'm spinning issues. you're telling me a liberal democrat being sarcastic to "minutemen" (which by today's standards is a right winger with a gun playing soldier") is something I'm supposed to be outraged about.

If I asked loaded questions to a politician in a public forum, I would expect essentially the same behavior. this guy wasn't fighting for anyone's freedom or pressing issues in an intelligent manner

"HEY WHY ISN'T THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT PROTECTIN' OUR BORDERS" should have been something like "The current immigration legislation is outdated and doesn't consider enough circumstances, what are you doing to fix or address this?"

stark sums it up perfectly in this comment:

"I don't have to make fun of you, sir...you make a fine job all by yourself."

edit: to add, I know this type of person during situations like this. I've been in enough critiques and lectures to know when someone is presenting something legitimate and when someone is just baiting someone to make some point they're not smart enough to make initially.

[edit on 30-6-2010 by piddles]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   

right, i'm spinning issues. you're telling me a liberal democrat being sarcastic to "minutemen" (which by today's standards is a right winger with a gun playing soldier") is something I'm supposed to be outraged about.

If I asked loaded questions to a politician in a public forum, I would expect essentially the same behavior. this guy wasn't fighting for anyone's freedom or pressing issues in an intelligent manner

"HEY WHY ISN'T THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT PROTECTIN' OUR BORDERS" should have been something like "The current immigration legislation is outdated and doesn't consider enough circumstances, what are you doing to fix or address this?"

Does it not seem like an elected official being sarcastic and rude to straight forward questions from straight forward people is unprofessional, and a slap in the face to any taxpaying citizen?

The People are his boss...that is how he treats them?

It is not a loaded question. It is straight forward and direct. So the guy is not coming prepared the eloguence of someone who is more well spoken...does that make his question less valid? His concerns less important?

No sir. The "let them eat cake" attitude is an affront to our nation.

Another consideration is that our elected officials are not in office to differentiate between "conservative" and "liberal". They are there to vote the conscience of their constituents. This man represents his constituents. Why does it matter that the "minuteman" likely had a different political ideology than the Rep? The Reps political viewpoints are a moot point. He is not elected to pursue his own political agenda. Doing that is tyranny. I do not stand for that.

You are welcome to view our nation in anyway you prefer. However, know that I will never stand idly by while tyranny is imposed on Americans.

BTW, love the screen name. Love the avatar. They go well together.
I am a HUGE dog lover.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
His answer meant that no matter how high the wall to be built, 'he' would still find a way to make money off the Mexicans streaming over the border.

He is misinformed and ignorant. Politicians, used to be two faced, now they are the 5 headed dragons.

Really the guy is an ignoramous!

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Haha...well the Pacific is nice and warm in the dead of summer, my favorite time of year to cliffdive. Doesn't any one else automatically assume we're talking about Iron Man when everyone calls him by Stark?

[edit on 30-6-2010 by MarlboroRedCowgirl]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by MarlboroRedCowgirl

I was on Mission Beach in Mission Bay (San Diego) in 1990, around late July.

The Gulf is warm water. Of course, it was already brown and gross before the oil spill (at least, on the Texas coast). But that water was so warm it made swimming uncomfortable.

Antar: that was awsome. You nailed it.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by piddles

Since apparently you didnt like the question he was asked and feel it was unfair in some way???? How about this one what happened to the money that was appropriated from congress to build a fence and add surveillance equipment along the border? Obama tride to get off cheap saying hed create a virtual wall i guess that would work if virtual Mexicans are trying to cross.

[edit on 6/30/10 by dragonridr]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   

The only illegals leaving are the ones who are not and don't want to get into trouble. I know they should have stayed in their country but still.

Those hardcore drug slingers, murderers, rapists and all around thugs couldn't care less about the new law. It's not like they care about the other laws so what would make this one so special?

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   

WOW.....All I have to say is Wow I'm not surprised the Congressmen's response just give us the run around

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonridr

The DMZ is reinforced by land mines and armed troops. Something that should be done on the border as well.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by LostNemesis
I just can't believe our "elected" representatives make fun of us so blatantly like that.

Whoever voted for that dude must be feeling pretty embarrassed.

That's why I say No More Politicians. We should chose where our money goes, and where it doesn't!

Solution: End the US Constitution, Congress, Supreme Court, POTUS and all political parties!

Why elect people, who then might represent us, or might not?

Why elect people, when half of everyone losses every election?

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by mothershipzeta

And if he is wrong about something big happening, he is still right as rain about the Congress critter being a dick. Or a peter. You can look at it both ways. I guess your screen name means you are a fan of the drug cartel's private army?

[edit on 6-30-2010 by groingrinder]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

Well...if we could do it without mines, great. I am not a fan of landmines. I see them as an atrocity that is more often than not a solution that is worse than the problem.

But that doesn't mean i would oppose it. Just that i would rather look at alternatives. Modern times, and all that.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
You should not really fault Stark for his words or his conduct. He is following the lead and example of his party's leader, Barack Obama.

Obama has long resorted to straw man arguments, citation of false "facts" and non-existent "examples" to support a philosophy that is in reality unsupportable.

Even today, Obama took to the stage in Wisconsin to blame the republican minority for the extended downturn (despite democrat majorities in BOTH houses of congress and control of the executive branch), tbelittle the republican senate leader, use outright lies to support his policies ("Every economist agrees that the stimulus worked"); and , of course, draw on his favorite constituent, the "Straw Man," ('some people in Washington are saying ...', 'everyone knows that ...', or 'there are those who will tell you ...').

(Google "Obama Wisconsin June 2010" for stories and video.)

Stark is just a good student and loyal "follower."

As my late friend Ann Richards might have said: "It's not his fault, he was born with Obama's "teleprompter" in his mouth.

deny ignorance

jw
[edit to add sources]

[edit on 30-6-2010 by jdub297]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
What an idiot, maybe it's just as well I wasn't there or I'd of beat that smug attude out of him. That video should be the head line on the national news. Note I said should. But since they're controled by D.C that won't happen . . . well unless the D was an R then it'd be major news.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

Does it not seem like an elected official being sarcastic and rude to straight forward questions from straight forward people is unprofessional, and a slap in the face to any taxpaying citizen?

The People are his boss...that is how he treats them?

It is not a loaded question. It is straight forward and direct. So the guy is not coming prepared the eloguence of someone who is more well spoken...does that make his question less valid? His concerns less important?

No sir. The "let them eat cake" attitude is an affront to our nation.

Another consideration is that our elected officials are not in office to differentiate between "conservative" and "liberal". They are there to vote the conscience of their constituents. This man represents his constituents. Why does it matter that the "minuteman" likely had a different political ideology than the Rep? The Reps political viewpoints are a moot point. He is not elected to pursue his own political agenda. Doing that is tyranny. I do not stand for that.

You are welcome to view our nation in anyway you prefer. However, know that I will never stand idly by while tyranny is imposed on Americans.

BTW, love the screen name. Love the avatar. They go well together.
I am a HUGE dog lover.

I disagree wholeheartedly. Judging from his actions, it seems like Stark has already heard of, thought through, and came to his own opinion about the theory of putting a giant wall on the border. Though you and I can't be sure, I'm more than willing to bet the person asking the question wasn't going to listen to the answer and would just be waiting for their chance to say what they think is right.

Oh, and by the way, belittling the gov't ("why isn't the government doing anything at all") isn't the way to start out a question towards someone who works for the gov't.

personally, I would be the exact same way, if not more rude, to this group of idiots. I can tell he already doesn't take them seriously from the smile he gives before he addresses them. Building a giant wall and having the military support the border patrol is only bound to be yet another waste of tax payer money, if anyone had bothered to check out his track record, you would find he doesn't support ineffective use of tax payer money and is quite vocal about it.

the man who turns around and suggests we fine the hell out of companies and corporations who hire illegals has a way better solution and even presents it in a much more respectful mannerism.

It all boils down to perspectives:

you see a politician who disrespected a constituent. I see an old man who doesn't have time for people's BS. You see an american citizen asking a question, I see someone with a warped view of reality wasting time.

and trust me, stark's comments on the militia killing people really aren't that far off

edit: and thank you, the username is inspired by my dog. he's the most charming little beast, big personality, and very well behaved. He's getting famous, too! He was recently in my friend's press release photos for his record label release AND was featured in a painting in the most one of the most popular newspapers in southern ca! You're the first person to acknowledge my little man, good to meet another dog lover

[edit on 30-6-2010 by piddles]

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join