It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Plato Code - Cracked

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
People have thought Plato hid codes within his works and it appears someone has cracked them. This is not like the Bible code nonsense (at least it seems very different) and it does make sense as Plato seems to often end his works with strange riddles or they simply tail off to make them meaningless.

Science Historian Cracks The 'Plato code'

Dr Kennedy spent five years studying Plato's writing and found that in his best-known work the Republic he placed clusters of words related to music after each twelfth of the text - at one-twelfth, two-twelfths, etc. This regular pattern represented the twelve notes of a Greek musical scale. Some notes were harmonic, others dissonant. At the locations of the harmonic notes he described sounds associated with love or laughter, while the locations of dissonant notes were marked with screeching sounds or war or death. This musical code was key to cracking Plato's entire symbolic system.

However Plato did not design his secret patterns purely for pleasure - it was for his own safety. Plato's ideas were a dangerous threat to Greek religion. He said that mathematical laws and not the gods controlled the universe. Plato's own teacher had been executed for heresy. Secrecy was normal in ancient times, especially for esoteric and religious knowledge, but for Plato it was a matter of life and death. Encoding his ideas in secret patterns was the only way to be safe.

I decided to put this in the general conspiracies forum because for a long time this was a sort of conspiracy, Platos followers said he hid these codes. No matter how you look at it, this is some interesting work.

[edit on 29-6-2010 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Interesting, but i'm not getting it.

What was the wisdom or secrets Plato recorded in code.. what does the code say?

At the bottom the article says,

"Plato quoted:

“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.”

“If women are expected to do the same work as men, we must teach them the same things.”

“Ignorance: the root of all evil.”

“Only the dead have seen the end of war.”

“The price good men pay for indifference to publiuc affairs is to be ruled by evil men.”

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” "

I do not believe this is what the code revealed is it? If so, I think it's a fraud, because these things are not new. I have seem them quoted by others many times. All it says is Plato Quoted.. it does not say this was what the code revealed. Can someone help me out here?

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
It says that this will help to decode Plato's secret philosophy. I realize he's found music embedded in the works , but that's not cracking a code.
I think it's a cool find, Op, no offense is meant.
But if I read this correctly he's found some Platonic music , no pun intended, and it's interesting because it was hidden until now. All that means is that he's found where Plato inserted music into his books, so I am wondering where is the part about Plato's secret philosophies? Sounds more like Plato's secret music stash

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
it would have been nice if the author would have given us something to actually think about!

i love symbolism, codes, and music.

so i'm lured but not satisfied.
surely there might be some more information.
i might search.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonsmusic

Well if there actually is some sort of coded message or story or philosophy, it's possible the code is in the music itself.

Perhaps this code exists in other works of his.

Music has long been used as a way to encode hidden messages and meaning into something, though I'm honestly surprised this practice goes this far back.

In the end I think this just might be an intellectual Easter egg; a little bonus content for some thinkers who may have caught it for their own amusement.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   

As the Dr says, it's going to take generations to work it all out but we have the ability to do so because of what the Dr has done. Plato used music, knowing how it related to mathematics to hide this stuff. Music is maths and so codes can be hidden inside music, even large chunks of information.

Whether this turns out to be nothing more than music or maybe something more complex doesn't really matter, it's the fact that someone born over 2,000 years ago was using this code in his works, that is simply astounding. No wonder Plato had such an influence on the world when he was this smart.

The quotes are from his various works they're not part of what has been decoded

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpectreDC

Well if there actually is some sort of coded message or story or philosophy, it's possible the code is in the music itself.

Perhaps this code exists in other works of his.

Music has long been used as a way to encode hidden messages and meaning into something, though I'm honestly surprised this practice goes this far back.

In the end I think this just might be an intellectual Easter egg; a little bonus content for some thinkers who may have caught it for their own amusement.

Those are some interesting postulates you have there. Nice metaphors too.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984

As the Dr says, it's going to take generations to work it all out but we have the ability to do so because of what the Dr has done. Plato used music, knowing how it related to mathematics to hide this stuff. Music is maths and so codes can be hidden inside music, even large chunks of information.

Whether this turns out to be nothing more than music or maybe something more complex doesn't really matter, it's the fact that someone born over 2,000 years ago was using this code in his works, that is simply astounding. No wonder Plato had such an influence on the world when he was this smart.

The quotes are from his various works they're not part of what has been decoded

Even if it's only music I would still be impressed. Plato is now more than an ancient greek scholar , sage, and philosopher; now he's a musician writing in code and inserting it into philosophical works.
I would like to hear some of this Plato music that the Dr has found.

new topics

top topics

join