It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are flush toilets with privacy a human right?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Explanation: S&F!

As far as sewerage infrastructure and saving fresh water goes, I notice that grey water can be used for toilets and this made me think that sea water could be used also!

Why poop in pure water???

Personal Disclosure: Great sewerage systems are vital to the health of all people everywhere and flush systems have been used since ancient Rome.

P.S. Being forced to disgrace oneself in ones own eyes is a terrible form of mental torture and is exactly what was carried out in Abu Grahib prison!

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

We had some pretty tight water restrictions, and we're still using grey water from the dishes and washing machine in our garden, although its pouring with rain right now!
They say every time you flush a loo 9 litres of drinking water goes down the drain.
In any case, I focused a bit on our local situation and it's really very difficult, but I in no way want to prescibe what traditional or modern people should do. It's more about what people expect and are demanding, and who can blame them? Neither should the thread stick to South Africa.
So thanks for that!

[edit on 30-6-2010 by halfoldman]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I suppose it depends. I surely wouldn't want anybody else seeing me use the bathroom, but I've used an out house before, and there's nothing really wrong with it. I think it's a rather silly subject, really.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by LorD99

Thanks for that.
I suppose if you come from a country where one can take things for granted (for now) it does seem silly.
But do consider that elsewhere such issues are on the verge of leading people to revolution.
Even in the US, the best influx control cannot hold back the impoverished tide for ever, and when reality hits issues like water and sanitation will be crucial there too.
There were some really great posts, but one or two make me wonder whether some Americans are living in a kind of mental bubble that shuts out the rest of the world.
Let's not be silly - there's flush toilets and the odd outhouse everywhere!

I suppose like with all human rights, it only becomes an issue when you don't have it.

[edit on 30-6-2010 by halfoldman]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Flush toilets are human rights, along with food water and shelter.

That is if you can afford it...

Originally posted by OmegaLogos
As far as sewerage infrastructure and saving fresh water goes, I notice that grey water can be used for toilets and this made me think that sea water could be used also!

Sea water would be ideal, as salt is a disinfectant.

[edit on 30/6/10 by NuclearPaul]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
It appears some have never ventured outside of the US! LOL!
Ive been many places... many places do not have the kind of "facilities" we are used to. From France to Singapore.. while in SIngapore in a professional building the toilets consisted of a hole in the floor in a tiled room. You squat and go. No stalls and no one has any issue with a normal human bodily function.

Flushing toilets a "human right"??? ONLY in the American mind. LOL!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join