It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On the Flip Side of Eating Healthy

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Druidae

I'm begging you to take a step back, take your rosy colored glasses off and look at it objectively, please.

I'm very well aware that the studies provided above "prove" nothing. I'm also aware that the first two studies are very different. I wasn't comparing the two and wasn't trying to prove anything.

I'm simply providing YOU with data that contradicts/conflicts with the lipid hypthesis that is so adamently clung to by the CDC, AHA, ADA, USDA and YOU.

Cherry picking is the method used by researchers and politicians and health advisory boards (McGovern's ''Dietary Goals for the United States" in '77) in support of the lipid hypothesis, the idea that fat consumption leads to heart disease through its effects on cholesterol. I can literally count the number of legitimate studies supporting this hypothesis on both hands, most of which are of epidemiological nature (inconclusive).

You asked me if the CDC and AHA are missing something....and provided me with this:

Risk Prevention -

For people with heart disease, studies have shown that lowering cholesterol and blood pressure levels can reduce the risk of—
Dying from heart disease.
Having a nonfatal heart attack.
Needing heart bypass surgery or angioplasty.
For people without heart disease, lowering cholesterol and blood pressure levels can reduce the risk for developing heart disease.

I said "yes" and provided you with the missing pieces.

When studies are conducted and the data are all over the place, the standing hypothesis should be discarded and a new hypothesis should be considered, then tested.

The process that led to the above quote from the CDC is based on cherry picking studies that support an observation made by a few researchers (and by few, I mean very few. 30-50 years ago, this was a heated debate with a few in support of and many against). Despite the overwhelming amount of conflicting data, the lipid hypothesis endured. It eventually became gospel truth and subsequently became the basis for the following years of research.

It goes like this...."Well, since we now KNOW that cholesterol causes heart disease....let's see what raises cholesterol"....conclusion...."Saturated fat intake should be lowered due to it's cholesterol raising effects."

See the problem. If A = B and B = C therefore A = C. It's a logical fallacy.

Cholesterol lowering drugs do so by LOWERING LDL! Statins inhibit HMG-CoA reductase which subsequently inhibits cholesterol production in cells, forcing the cells to obtain cholesterol from the blood....in the form of LDL. Therefore, any topic of lowering total cholesterol will undoubtedly include LDL.

Also, it's worth noting, many of the studies I cited above were abstracts only. The full text describes the methods involved in detail and describes how LDL and HDL, and at times, total cholesterol were affecting study results.

-Dev

<< 1   >>

join