It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On the Flip Side of Eating Healthy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Seeing how there is an article on ATS about people being obsessive about eating healthy........The new fat stats are in.

How did your state rate?

State with the highest amount of obese people: Mississippi at 33.8%

State with the lowest number of obese people: Colorodo at 19.1%

I am actually living in Mississippi, and they do seem to grow 'em large here, but I don't notice on a day to day basis more obese people than anywhere else!

www.webmd.com...

June 29, 2010 -- Adult obesity rates increased in 28 states in the past year, with the No. 1 ranking going to Mississippi, where 33.8% of adults are obese, according to a new report, “F as in Fat: How Obesity Threatens America’s Future 2010.”

[edit on 29-6-2010 by Blanca Rose]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Heart Disease and Obesity are two of the biggest challenges in health and wellness today. The rate of increase is disturbing, especially in young children. It's like that old computer acronym GIGO - Garbage In, Garbage Out. The best way to fight back is to eat healthy, and know where your food comes from. Eating a well balanced diet with a variety of fruits and vegetables (know where your food comes from) is very beneficial for our bodies to help combat both. Look in to what you can eat that contains plant sterols for lowering LDL cholesterol and basic heart health as well.

I would also suggest a product like Mona Vie, as it really can help prevent these problems. Even the FDA has approved some health claims for mona vie. Some of the newly released research and patents they have are pretty amazing.

monaviemediacenter.com...

~Druidae

* If your Acai is not Acavie, it is inferior.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Druidae

I had a look at your link for the product you recommend.

Have you tried it yourself? Did you used it to help you lose weight, or was it for the other benefits listed on the link?

I'd appreciate your personal opinion on it, since it almost sounds too good to be true!

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I actually have a thread going with my own personal experience, with a few links about Acai research that is going on, as well as some other shared stories and of course skeptics, found in the following thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I do not want to derail this post, as the OP is talking about a serious issue that affects a lot of people which i do believe there is a GIANT government conspiracy about. I think a great place for everyone to start is with a documentary called "Food, Inc". It will start the awakening about what you are really putting in to your body.

~Druidae

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druidae
I do not want to derail this post, as the OP is talking about a serious issue that affects a lot of people which i do believe there is a GIANT government conspiracy about.

I HIGHLY doubt there is a conspiracy driving obesity. It's a simple matter of Public health policy vs. scientific research.

In other words: Politics should stay the ____ out of nutrition science and let the data speak for itself.

Eating a well balanced diet with a variety of fruits and vegetables (know where your food comes from) is very beneficial for our bodies to help combat both.

What does that even mean? What is a well balanced diet? 30/30/40 right? Well, that's what we as a whole have done over the past 20 years or so and look where it's gotten us.....

Look in to what you can eat that contains plant sterols for lowering LDL cholesterol and basic heart health as well.

Is elevated LDL really a risk factor for heat disease? No. LDL and HDL have jobs. They're there for a reason. In fact, total cholesterol is absolutely NOT a predictor of heart disease.....because high cholesterol is NOT associated with heart disease/bad heart health that leads to myocardial infarctions and death.

Here's a short list of factors that are more indicative of heart disease development:

-LDL particle size
-C-Reactive Protein (inflammation marker)
-HDL/Triclyceride ratio

I would also suggest a product like Mona Vie, as it really can help prevent these problems. Even the FDA has approved some health claims for mona vie. Some of the newly released research and patents they have are pretty amazing.

monaviemediacenter.com...

How can you possibly go from Obesity to this? There's no way in hell that Mona Vie has anything to do with preventing obesity. And considering the amount of sugar per serving, I'd say it would contribute more to the problem.

Did you join this site with the sole purpose of boosting sales as an independent distributor?

Let me make this clear. Obesity is NOT caused by ACAI deficiency. Neither is it caused by the lack of antioxidants and other nutrients that can "only be found such great abundance" in Acai.

Are there benefits to acai.....absolutely. Would it help....yes. However, most of the chronic diseases of civilization, including obesity, are METABOLICALLY driven. And the effects of Acai are so very limited when it comes to the regulation of metabolism and metabolic hormones.

-Dev

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Eating healthy food and exercising is going to reduce weight. Like I have always said, Proper nutrition will take care of a multitude of health problems people face on a daily basis.

Definition of Balanced diet:

A balanced diet means getting the right types and amounts of foods and drinks to supply nutrition and energy for maintaining body cells, tissues, and organs, and for supporting normal growth and development.

Function:

A well-balanced diet provides enough energy and nutrition for optimal growth and development.

if you need more than that you should read up on it, there are even pictures =)

Obesity walks hand in hand with things like high cholesterol and heart disease.

Dev says this -
[qoute]
Is elevated LDL really a risk factor for heat disease? No. LDL and HDL have jobs. They're there for a reason. In fact, total cholesterol is absolutely NOT a predictor of heart disease.....because high cholesterol is NOT associated with heart disease-bad heart health that leads to myocardial infarctions and death.

reference - www.americanheart.org...

LDL (Bad) Cholesterol
When too much LDL (bad) cholesterol circulates in the blood, it can slowly build up in the inner walls of the arteries that feed the heart and brain. Together with other substances, it can form plaque, a thick, hard deposit that can narrow the arteries and make them less flexible. This condition is known as atherosclerosis. If a clot forms and blocks a narrowed artery, heart attack or stroke can result.

HDL (good) Cholesterol
About one-fourth to one-third of blood cholesterol is carried by high-density lipoprotein (HDL). HDL cholesterol is known as “good” cholesterol, because high levels of HDL seem to protect against heart attack. Low levels of HDL (less than 40 mg/dL) also increase the risk of heart disease. Medical experts think that HDL tends to carry cholesterol away from the arteries and back to the liver, where it's passed from the body. Some experts believe that HDL removes excess cholesterol from arterial plaque, slowing its buildup.

you may want to have a talk with the american heart association =)

no, i didn't come here to boost sales Dev. - I came here to watch, listen, and learn. To contribute in a positive manner when i can, and crack a joke here and there. To assist in finding the truth out about things. And to cut off bad information at the source.

~Druidae

*edit for fingers

[edit on 29-6-2010 by Druidae]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Eating healthy food

I'll just stop you there, in which lies the problem.

What does "eat healthy food" mean? It's such a vague statement. When people here the word "healthy", the majority think Low-Fat. The VAST majority. Fat has become the victim of bogus studies and public health policy.

Think about it. We're told to avoid saturated fat and limit total fat intake. Why? Two reasons. 1) A gram of fat has twice as many calories as does a gram of Protein/Carbohydrate. 2) Fat, especially saturated fat, raises total cholesterol levels.

And since calorically dense foods cause weight gain (extra calories) and high cholesterol causes heart disease, avoiding fat is a "healthy" choice.

It sounds good, but the science doesn't support the hypothesis. Research paints a completely different picture. Instead, however, public health policy has taken over....and it all started with one dude.

Ancel Keys cherry picked data to "prove" an association between cholesterol and heart disease mortality:

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   

and exercising is going to reduce weight.

Exercising, to burn calories, does nothing to reduce fat. There have been multiple studies from around the world demonstrating this on human and animal subjects.

Exercising to improve insulin sensitivity, however, will net a fat loss. But this has nothing to do with Calories in vs. calories out, which is a pivotal concept in the "eat less fat" hypothesis.

Like I have always said, Proper nutrition will take care of a multitude of health problems people face on a daily basis.

No Doubt.

Definition of Balanced diet:

A balanced diet means getting the right types and amounts of foods and drinks to supply nutrition and energy for maintaining body cells, tissues, and organs, and for supporting normal growth and development.

Function:

A well-balanced diet provides enough energy and nutrition for optimal growth and development.

Once again, VERY vague.

if you need more than that you should read up on it, there are even pictures =)

Thanks. But I've devoted my time reading the literature and history of nutritional research and public health policy, as well as keeping up to date with NEW data as it is published. I let the hypothesis fit the data; I don't make the data fit the hypotheses.

Obesity walks hand in hand with things like high cholesterol and heart disease.

Let's never forget this. I'm serious. I want you to remember this forever. Correlation does not equal causation. Of course obesity and high cholesterol and heart disease are strongly associated with each other. But which came first? The chicken or the egg? What if they're all caused by a completely different factor that hasn't been considered?

reference - www.americanheart.org...

LDL (Bad) Cholesterol
When too much LDL (bad) cholesterol circulates in the blood, it can slowly build up in the inner walls of the arteries that feed the heart and brain. Together with other substances, it can form plaque, a thick, hard deposit that can narrow the arteries and make them less flexible. This condition is known as atherosclerosis. If a clot forms and blocks a narrowed artery, heart attack or stroke can result.

HDL (good) Cholesterol
About one-fourth to one-third of blood cholesterol is carried by high-density lipoprotein (HDL). HDL cholesterol is known as “good” cholesterol, because high levels of HDL seem to protect against heart attack. Low levels of HDL (less than 40 mg/dL) also increase the risk of heart disease. Medical experts think that HDL tends to carry cholesterol away from the arteries and back to the liver, where it's passed from the body. Some experts believe that HDL removes excess cholesterol from arterial plaque, slowing its buildup.

you may want to have a talk with the american heart association =)

First of all, there is no such thing as good and bad cholesterol. Cholesterol is cholesterol. There's only one. HDL and LDL are proteins that transport lipids, such as cholesterol, through the blood because fats aren't water soluble.

The AHA fails to mention the neurological dangers of lowering LDL too much. They also fail to recognize the importance of LDL particle size. These particles don't just stick to the lining of the arteries.....unless they're too small.

LDL is considered "bad" because it delivers cholesterol to cells where it is needed, instead of transporting to the liver to be recycled as does HDL.

They also failed to mention the irrelevancy of total cholesterol.

Look, the above is called biochemistry. A text book, or even a little reading on the web, can do you some good.

-Dev

[edit on 30-6-2010 by DevolutionEvolvd]

[edit on 30-6-2010 by DevolutionEvolvd]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvd
Let's never forget this. I'm serious. I want you to remember this forever. Correlation does not equal causation. Of course obesity and high cholesterol and heart disease are strongly associated with each other. But which came first? The chicken or the egg? What if they're all caused by a completely different factor that hasn't been considered?

I am thinking the poor diet and lack of exercise came first =)

First of all, there is no such thing as good and bad cholesterol. Cholesterol is cholesterol. There's only one. HDL and LDL are proteins that transport lipids, such as cholesterol, through the blood because fats aren't water soluble.

Actually, cholesterol is SLIGHTLY water soluble, it can dissolve and travel in the bloodstream in small concentrations.

What is the difference between HDL and LDL you may ask? I shall quote from one of my textbooks =)

HDL stands for high density lipoprotein and is considered good cholesterol. HDL accounts for ~1/3 of all blood circulating cholesterol and serves as a protective mechanism from the development of heart disease by carrying away cholesterol from vessel walls and plaque to the liver for disposal. Higher levels of HDL have been shown to reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke.

LDL stands for low density lipoprotein and is considered bad cholesterol. LDL is a necessary protein in the body for it transports substances vital to cell function and development. When there is an excess of LDL in the blood or when it undergoes structural changes from certain body stresses, LDL can become harmful by accumulating in blood vessels walls. This can lead to blockages in arteries or unstable plaque build-up which is prone to rupture and the formation of blood clots. Levels of LDL and its subtypes are directly related to the risk of heart attack and stroke.

are my text books wrong?

The AHA fails to mention the neurological dangers of lowering LDL too much. They also fail to recognize the importance of LDL particle size. These particles don't just stick to the lining of the arteries.....unless they're too small.

LDL is considered "bad" because it delivers cholesterol to cells where it is needed, instead of transporting to the liver to be recycled as does HDL.

Balance - Variety - Moderation. Just as you dont want high LDL, you also dont want it sitting at zero. I think you can agree with me on that Dev. I also believe the AHA was putting it in more "laymans" terms. You and I can go back and forth all day about cholesterol, I am fairly sure on that. =) Some questions for you.

would you agree that if you have high levels of LDL, you are increasing your chances of heart disease and having a heart attack?

Can changing your diet alone lower your cholesterol levels if you have high cholesterol levels?

Do you believe exercise has a direct impact on cholesterol levels?

and weight loss?

At one point i mentioned conspiracy within our food system. What is your opinion on High Fructose Corn Syrup, and how it has affected obesity in america?

Check in to the federal subsidizing of corn, and in turn HFCS (which our body does not process well), and how it ends up in a majority of our food.

~Druidae

*on a side note, I am glad we are hashing this out in a constructive manner dev. I feel we both have strong solid opinions about things, and i hope we can continue our back and forth in a constructive manner. Maybe we can both open each others eyes on some subjects.

I apologize if you feel like i was pushing mona vie. I am passionate about the product that i both drink for my own health and sell because i know the benefits of what i like to call my "phytonutrient soup". =D I actually just got back from a national convention and am a bit fired up with some of the studies being released.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I think the obesity "epidemic" is a product of many things. And I should know, I'm not just the president of the obese club, I'm a member. Genetically, I'll probably always be obese - my dad, grandfather, uncle and sister (who works out 5x a week) are/were obese as well.

I've been working on cutting out the crap companies are putting in our food like MSG and high fructose corn syrup (HFCS). More and more it is being shown that these two contribute to your body processing food and insulin levels differently. I'm canning non GMO veggies to avoid the BPH in can linings. I'm growing my own when I can. Crazy overkill? Maybe, but home canned tastes so much better!

Decrease in levels of activity. When I was a kid it was biking, hiking and playing sun up until the street lights came on. Now we're afraid (myself included) of letting our kids out of our sight. Fortunately, my son is just plain active and daughter has found several sports she loves to play. Add that to PC schools getting rid of anything that may hurt someone like tag, football, playground equipment and less PE class than ever before and it's not looking so good.

Outside influences - prescriptions drugs. My son was just put on a new medication to avoid migraines. It's needed - he spent 62 days out of school this year and had 2 trips to the hospital for migraines. BUT his BMI just skyrocketed in the 3 months he's been on the new meds. He was always skinny, he's still average, but it went up quick. Turns out the side effect of the meds is weight gain. The med is used to increase appetite for other illnesses. So we're left with migraines vs. weight gain. For now, we're watching, but if the weight gain puts him above normal, we'll be working with the neurologist on a new med. With all the kids on meds for ADHD, autism, being a boy, how many contribute to weight gain?

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mountainmeg
I've been working on cutting out the crap companies are putting in our food like MSG and high fructose corn syrup (HFCS). More and more it is being shown that these two contribute to your body processing food and insulin levels differently. I'm canning non GMO veggies to avoid the BPH in can linings. I'm growing my own when I can. Crazy overkill? Maybe, but home canned tastes so much better!

Not overkill at all. Congrats on taking a large step in the right direction.

Outside influences - prescriptions drugs. My son was just put on a new medication to avoid migraines. It's needed - he spent 62 days out of school this year and had 2 trips to the hospital for migraines. BUT his BMI just skyrocketed in the 3 months he's been on the new meds. He was always skinny, he's still average, but it went up quick. Turns out the side effect of the meds is weight gain. The med is used to increase appetite for other illnesses. So we're left with migraines vs. weight gain. For now, we're watching, but if the weight gain puts him above normal, we'll be working with the neurologist on a new med. With all the kids on meds for ADHD, autism, being a boy, how many contribute to weight gain?

Do you know what triggers your sons migraines? If you can find the triggers, you can sometimes treat the cause without medication, which i am all for.

Triggers would include foods, chemicals, bright lights, lack of sleep, stress, sinus problems, crying, excess noise, and hormone fluctuations?

~Druidae

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Not overkill at all. Congrats on taking a large step in the right direction.

Thanks. Both kiddos had physicals today and the pediatrician thought it was a great idea to try and get rid of as much HFCS and MSG as possible.

Do you know what triggers your sons migraines? If you can find the triggers, you can sometimes treat the cause without medication, which i am all for.

Triggers would include foods, chemicals, bright lights, lack of sleep, stress, sinus problems, crying, excess noise, and hormone fluctuations?

It's difficult. His pediatrician noticed that most of his hospitalizations come in early fall and early spring pointing to possible allergies as one trigger. He has autism to, so adding migraines is just devastating. His current med is an antihistamine as well as a migraine prophylactic and is working well, so I'm hesitant to change it. 3 day hospital stays for more powerful treatments are not any fun! I've tried food/med/symptom journals before and he's on a gluten free diet now, but the migraines are still a problem without the preventative.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mountainmeg
I've tried food/med/symptom journals before and he's on a gluten free diet now, but the migraines are still a problem without the preventative.

Did you go with a gluten-free, casein-free (GFCF) diet for your son?

Also, check out a few of these documentaries, they were all pretty eye opening about the food system in the U.S.

Food, Inc
Fresh
The World According to Monsanto
Food Matters

~Druidae

[edit on 1-7-2010 by Druidae]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   

This one says it all. You are what you eatand the average American eats growth hormone frankenfoods.

Go RAW, go vegan or go to a country that bans Monsanto's crap products.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Did you go with a gluten-free, casein-free (GFCF) diet for your son?

Also, check out a few of these documentaries, they were all pretty eye opening about the food system in the U.S.

Food, Inc
Fresh
Food Matters

~Druidae

We just did the gluten free diet. My hubby did all the research and kids tend to obsess over whatever is giving them the "opiate" sensation. Dear son doesn't like or eat dairy - no milk, cheese, yogurt, nothing. We have to give him calcium/D supplements. Since he doesn't crave anything dairy, we stopped worrying about casein.

I have to admit, I was very skeptical. But the gluten free makes a HUGE difference. Enough of one that son self selects gluten free food now. Apparently he doesn't like the fuzzy feeling from gluten. He reads food packages before asking me about them and recognizes most gluten ingredients.

I need to sit down and watch Food Inc. I keep meaning to, and keep getting interrupted whenever I actually sit down.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Druidae

I wrote a reply to your post; however, it's at home on my personal computer. I'll post it later.

reply to post by Mountainmeg

I can't stress this enough. Exercise is not a cure for obesity. The calories in vs calories out idea of fat loss (maintaining an energy/caloric defcit) just doesn't work. Period. And for good reason. The human body is not a closed system..... I can go into this in a post later these evening.

-Dev

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
This is from the CDC.

www.cdc.gov...

Risk Prevention -

For people with heart disease, studies have shown that lowering cholesterol and blood pressure levels can reduce the risk of—
Dying from heart disease.
Having a nonfatal heart attack.
Needing heart bypass surgery or angioplasty.
For people without heart disease, lowering cholesterol and blood pressure levels can reduce the risk for developing heart disease.

Is the AHA and the CDC missing something, as well as myself Dev? Everything I am reading supports my argument that lowering your LDL levels of cholesterol is good for your heart.

Exercising, to burn calories, does nothing to reduce fat. There have been multiple studies from around the world demonstrating this on human and animal subjects.

Can you source these multiple studies?

This supports my argument that exercise does help you lose weight.. also from the CDC

www.cdc.gov...

The Caloric Balance Equation

Overweight and obesity result from an energy imbalance. This involves eating too many calories and not getting enough physical activity.

Now I understand that people can be genetically inclined to be overweight, as well as medicine and a few other factors. Physical Activity, I.E. Exercise, along with proper diet can help with the obesity problem we are facing. Exercise is a key factor for burning those unwanted calories, and maintaining a healthy balance of real food in to our bodies.

~Druidae

[edit on 8-7-2010 by Druidae]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
...licensed Personal Trainer and Nutritionist weighing in =]

I didn't have time to read every reply, but people are correct when they say that eating right will get rid of many many health problems. The problem is, people do not know what healthy is. Even those that try, still do an awful job at choosing the right food for their bodies.

Easiest and clearest rule : PROCESSED FOOD IS NOT"FOOD". HUMAN BODIES ARE NOT DESIGNED TO INGEST CHEMICALLY MADE SUBSTANCES.

I have clients all the time who think they are eating right by consuming anything with a vegetable in its title. For example, (I'm at my moms house now), and she is eating Pasta Sides flavored Chedder broccoli. Let's look at the ingrediants...enrichred macaroni product, niacin, thiamin, monoitrate, folic acid, maltoodextrin, chedder cheese,lactic acid, disosium inosinate...ect

What is all of that stuff? Nothing you should be eating! Rule of Thumb, if something lists more than 2-3 things that you cant pronounce, don't buy it =]

Eat things from the earth, not man made!
If my mom wanted pasta with broccoli, it would actually even be easier to just boil some whole wheat pasta and put broccoli into it when its done cooking. Let some cheese melt on top if she wanted the chedder flavor.

People also tend to cook healthy foods wrong and thus, evaporating all of the nutrients too, but that is another story...

Bottom Line: Earth is your mother, and she provides all of the resources you need to survive. Not processed food companies who make millions off of uninformed Americans =]

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   

This is from the CDC.

www.cdc.gov...

Risk Prevention -

For people with heart disease, studies have shown that lowering cholesterol and blood pressure levels can reduce the risk of—
Dying from heart disease.
Having a nonfatal heart attack.
Needing heart bypass surgery or angioplasty.
For people without heart disease, lowering cholesterol and blood pressure levels can reduce the risk for developing heart disease.

Is the AHA and the CDC missing something, as well as myself Dev?

Yes. It's called research.

Everything I am reading supports my argument that lowering your LDL levels of cholesterol is good for your heart.

And you are reading from a few sources that base the majority of their information on a few observational studies from over 30 years ago; a time when public health policy (politics) began to influence nutritional advice.

Trends in High Levels of Low-Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol in the United States, 1999-2006

During this 6 year period LDL levels dropped significantly.

Conclusions Among the NHANES population aged 20 years or older, the prevalence of high LDL-C levels decreased from 1999-2000 to 2005-2006.

Heart Disease......Not so much.

Lack of association between cholesterol and coronary heart disease mortality and morbidity and all-cause mortality in persons older than 70 years

CONCLUSIONS: Our findings do not support the hypothesis that hypercholesterolemia or low HDL-C are important risk factors for all-cause mortality, coronary heart disease mortality, or hospitalization for myocardial infarction or unstable angina in this cohort of persons older than 70 years.

In fact, there was a stronger association with lower lipid levels.

I'll just add a few links that contradict the CDC, AHA and YOU!

www.medscape.com...

Conclusion: This study adds to the uncertainty of the role of elevated levels of LDL-C as a risk factor for mortality in old people.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...
www.ajconline.org...(98)00334-8/abstract

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

We postulate that higher concentrations of total cholesterol are beneficial in these patients. This is potentially attributable to the property of lipoproteins to bind lipopolysaccharide, thereby preventing its detrimental effects. We hypothesise there is an optimum lipoprotein concentration below which lipid reduction would, on balance, be detrimental. We also propose that, in patients with CHF, a non-lipid-lowering statin (with ancillary properties such as immune modulatory and anti-inflammatory actions) could be as effective or even more beneficial than a lipid-lowering statin.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

CONCLUSIONS: In patients with CHF, lower serum total cholesterol is independently associated with a worse prognosis.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Can you source these multiple studies?

To put my comment into perspective: Exercising to burn calories and create a caloric deficit does not work. Just as dieting does not work. In the long term, that is.

Creating a caloric deficit, either by exercise or by diet, or both, does not address the problem of why one is over-fat. Gluttony and sloth does not account for the fat gain we see today. (much of the following is borrowed from Gary Taubes' book, Good Calories, Bad Calories...and his NYTimes article Does exercise make us thinner?)

This has long been observed and completely contradicts the beliefs held by today's obesity experts. Russell Wilder of the Mayo Clinic lectured on obesity in the 1930's noting that patients lost more weight resting in bed than while overly exerting themselves through strenuous physical activity.

Alvan Feinstein, an epidemiologist from the mid 20th century, dismissed so easily describing how there is ample evidence (in the 60's mind you) that exercise is an ineffective tool for fat loss.

Hugo Rony, a Northwestern University endocrinologist, noted that "Consistently high or low energy expenditures result in consistently high or low levels of appetite. Thus men doing heavy physical work spontaneously eat more than men engaged in sedentary occupations. Statistics show that th average daily caloric intake of lumberjacks is more than 5000 calories while that of tailors is only about 2500. Persons who change their occupation from light to heavy work or vice cersa soon develop corresponding changes in their appetite."

This supports my argument that exercise does help you lose weight.. also from the CDC

www.cdc.gov...

The Caloric Balance Equation

Overweight and obesity result from an energy imbalance. This involves eating too many calories and not getting enough physical activity.

The first law of thermodynamics, or the caloric balance equation, actually dictates that obesity is ASSOCIATED with energy imbalance, not a result of. Once again.....say it with me.....Correlation does not equal causation. Were you paying attention earlier?

Also, you should really write this down, the human body is NOT a closed system; therefore, the first law of thermodynamics does not apply (at least in the sense of calories in vs calories out).

-Dev

[edit on 8-7-2010 by DevolutionEvolvd]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Trends in High Levels of Low-Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol in the United States, 1999-2006

During this 6 year period LDL levels dropped significantly.

Conclusions Among the NHANES population aged 20 years or older, the prevalence of high LDL-C levels decreased from 1999-2000 to 2005-2006.

Heart Disease......Not so much.

Lack of association between cholesterol and coronary heart disease mortality and morbidity and all-cause mortality in persons older than 70 years

Those two studies prove nothing and have NOTHING to do with each other.

The first is a study over 6 years that proved that high LDL-C levels decreased from 1999-2000 to 2005-2006.

The second is a study of HDL in people 70+

www.medscape.com...

Conclusion: This study adds to the uncertainty of the role of elevated levels of LDL-C as a risk factor for mortality in old people.

same study -

Indeed, in some[6,9,10] but not all studies,[4,5] cholesterol predicted coronary complications, especially in men, whereas total and cardiovascular mortality were not[4,5] or were inversely[6-9] associated with serum cholesterol.

So basically it was a risk factor in some, but not all. Which means it was not proved one way or another. Please don't cherry pick to support your claims. I will read every study.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

another HDL study. we are talking about LDL

www.ajconline.org...(98)00334-8/abstract

Nothing to do with what we are talking about. This is for a skin test.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

COULD BE. Not IS. They don't know. Follow up study?

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

CONCLUSIONS: In patients with CHF, lower serum total cholesterol is independently associated with a worse prognosis.

TOTAL cholesterol. Not LDL.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Sighs... which lipoprotiens?

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

They were LDL Deficient mice. Meaining they lacked HEALTHY levels of LDL. We already agreed that not having enough is just as bad as having to much, and that there needs to be the healthy balance of LDL.
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

To put my comment into perspective: Exercising to burn calories and create a caloric deficit does not work. Just as dieting does not work. In the long term, that is.

Put the two together and you get an additive effect. Wallah, Weight Loss!

Does Exercise Make Us Thinner?

From that article -

The more rigorous the exercise, and the more fat lost from our fat tissue, the greater the subsequent increase in LPL activity in the fat cells. Thus, post-workout, we get hungry: Our fat tissue is devoting itself to restoring calories as fat, depriving other tissues and organs of the fuel they need and triggering a compensatory impulse to eat. The feeling of hunger is the brain’s way of trying to satisfy the demands of the body. Just as sweating makes us thirsty, burning off calories makes us hungry.

This goes back to what I was saying about eating properly. The difference is eating something healthy vs. having a large pizza, some wings and a few beers after said workout. Watching your calorie intake works wonders. If you exercise, and watch what you are putting in to your body, you will lose weight. Melissax0 had it right when she said "PROCESSED FOOD IS NOT"FOOD". HUMAN BODIES ARE NOT DESIGNED TO INGEST CHEMICALLY MADE SUBSTANCES."

~Druidae

[edit on 9-7-2010 by Druidae]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join