It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I don't want to believe in time travel.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Or at least I hope it isn't real.
That would imply people are controlling the past, manipulating the future, and that destiny exists but only in a twisted and esoteric way. It also makes me question the idea of a God.

What do you guys think about time travel? Does it exist? Have humans used it?

That recent show with Steven Hawking outlined how traveling to the future could be possible quite easily, but that's more of an artificial way of time traveling if that makes any sense.

Also this video below shows how time travel could make sense, although...the video still confuses me somewhat. I can't imagine it really.

I saved the above video from another poster on ATS long ago I think, in my lurking days.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Without a doubt time travel to the future exists!

Research long-term ISS visitors. They actually move fast enough and long enough to travel short amounts (like half a second) into the future when they come back to Earth.

And the math proves that space ships travelling near the speed of light will experience time at a different rate than someone on Earth. Then, when they land, Earth will have aged years longer than the astronauts.

We just haven't invented the technology yet to go that fast and return safely (as far as we know we haven't that is)

time = space

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by 11:11

Scientists have postulated that there are particles which flow in the opposite direction through time from us. That being said, if we could somehow manipulate a stream of these particles, it is likely we could send ourselves a message in the past, provided we have the equipment to detect the stream. If we do already have this kind of tech, I would think it's fairly new and is only being used to manipulate the stock market so far, if it is indeed possible to alter the past. Say, you wanted to send a message into the past to warn of the oil disaster. So you successfully manage to stop the disaster from happening. That means you don't send yourself the message to prevent the oil disaster, and you have taken no action to prevent it. I know it's a modified grandfather paradox but you get the point, right?

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Time travel exists in a very small 'scale'. If you're around a massive object, time goes by faster for the person there. The faster you travel, time also goes by faster for the person traveling.

For large scale, hundreds, thousands year travel into the future or past, I'm not sure! I would imagine if we had people traveling from the future to the past, we would have seen them!

Of course, if time lines split once someone goes back or forward in time like that, then I guess we exist in the time line where we don't experience the time travelers! This also means the other time line is the us that did experience them.

Thanks for the thread!

Kind regards

[edit on 29-6-2010 by Hitotsumami]

[edit on 29-6-2010 by Hitotsumami]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Yup you can travel to the future in the ways you described but it's not practical or useful if you can't travel back.

The way it was described on the Steven Hawking special was just ludicrous. They were saying the rocket would have to be like the size of earth or whatever to carry all of the jet fuel...I just sighed, obviously we wouldn't be using combustion engines. Only these mainstream media sources perpetrate this ridiculousness of fossil fuel burning.

You should also check out the video I posted if you haven't seen it, it's interesting.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
It's difficult to imagine, because we evolved to understand time as something that moves sequentially in a single direction, when neither of those things are actually true.

It's also difficult to imagine because we have a very limited understanding as to exactly how our consciousness (our observation, or point-of-view) interacts with and shapes reality.

It may eventually turn out that time travel as it is popularly imagined is more about simply "perceiving" or "being" somewhere, rather than traveling fast.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Mumbotron

Interesting I've never heard about the backwards traveling particles.

Yeah so then we're talking about alternate realities as well if you can alter the past...at least that's what I get from the example you used. The person in the past never averted the past in the future but is living in another reality, there would therefore have to be infinite realities which also doesn't seem right to me.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   

"I don't want to believe in time travel."

then don't.

Stop fishing for replies and lurk moar.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by afterschoolfun

"I don't want to believe in time travel."

then don't.

Stop fishing for replies and lurk moar.

It was more of a way to get people to participate in a discussion, friendly stranger.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   

It also makes me question the idea of a God.

A lot more than the concept of time travel should make you question the idea of god.

On topic:

I bet BP wishes time travel were possible.

And if it is possible, who the hell has access to this device..? Nothing but problems in the world today - so I would imagine a big jerk has access to it if it is indeed out there.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by 11:11
Or at least I hope it isn't real.
That would imply people are controlling the past, manipulating the future, and that destiny exists but only in a twisted and esoteric way. It also makes me question the idea of a God.

What do you guys think about time travel? Does it exist? Have humans used it?

You don't have to worry. Anybody who could change the course of events by traveling though time would suddenly find themselves in an alternate, parallel universe, where they would be able to see the consequences of their actions up close and personal, but without even realizing what has happened.

Nature has a way of protecting its own.

Information can not be lost.

Check out this link.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Time creates perhaps arguably the greatest bifurcation schism in all of our awareness.

It divides that which has happened, from that which will happen with what is happening right now.

I don't know where one would put what 'might' [have] happen[ed].
Maybe in some ambiguous region that is mostly in the future, but that loops around to before the ancient past.

The sequencing, passage of moments that creates [one of the?] the greatest structural element of all.
Time is the linkage sequencing between instantaneous existence flashes.

Arguably with all of what can or might happen, in the future, i am not sure what the rationale for meddling in the past is.

[I just watched 'Frequency' the other day]
With all the paradoxes & the cascading repercussions of inserted actions problems it sounds quite illadvisable a thing to do.
And if it is that fluid, it just seems like it would very easily lose all coherence.
Everything could easily start spinning off into wild unpredictability. Degradation of events into insanity. Like maybe physics starts breaking down & becoming unstable, or time sequencing starts glitching with little or large discontinuities. it is sort of the notion that all things are sort of suspended in fluid. Perhaps an especially vapid fluid without any [or very little] inertia/continuity characteristics.

Maybe someone time travels & only then do they realize the horrible, nightmare mistake they have made. Breaking from coherence & continuity should not be done lightly or without great trepidation, imo.
When all your dreams become possible, invariably all your nightmares do too.

It could also be that the past has a special characteristic that the present & [potential?] future(s) do[es] not.
Like a gravitas embedment. like supermass. [infinite, leaden, heavy inertia?]
You might be able to go back and change an event, but the mass of everything else would almost inevitably defeat it to make any lasting change.
If the supermass idea was true it would probably make going into the past a simply impossibly resource expensive proposition.
Like you can bend the corner of an automobile fender, but the rest of the auto is virtually unchanged.
It would be essentially pointless, with the possible exception of doing so purely as a sensorial tour experience.

I have no particular evidence to support the supermass notion, but it doesn't seem to violate our perceptions & experience with time.

[running off on own tangent~]
Interestingly that might imply that the 'future', if there is any such thing, is sort of hyper un-massive. The future may be exotically trivial. ultimately the notion of progress may become meaningless. drivel. irritatingly fake emptiness.

It might also meld well with a proposition i have proffered that length is a function of the past, & the reason going faster than light requires going backwards in time is because the future has no length to travel yet. The only available length/distance to traverse lies in the past.

Logically, experience requires the passage of time.
Consciousness/awareness applied to time = experience? -> memory-impression?

Maybe it is all a function of scale.
Maybe UFOs are real, right this instant, but they are actually operating on a hypermicro, sub-Planck-length scale.
& maybe what is being displayed to people is an insane magnified projection.
Or equally the converse, where mega-ominous huge scales are condensed/shrunk down to our micro-universe. Playing with the 'ants'?
Maybe the macro isn't interested in us, except as a means of access to the [hated/loved? super curious?] hyper-micro. Or terrified avoidance of the other?

Also from a psychological standpoint our purpose/agenda in manipulating the past [or even the present or future] is to create some altered 'meaningful' 'better' 'improved' outcome.
Does the past have inescapable, ominous portends & the future is so trival as to be worthless?
In perhaps an odd way that suggests that our focus should be upon the present or its very close vicinity, where animation & at least theoretic options exist or at least not very far into the future or past.
But that actually bothers me a bit emotionally, as my upbringing trained me with at least the notion of defensive preparations for the unknown, longer-term future.
Gathering eclectic resources & hoping one can assemble some applicable subset of them into useful configuration as some pending 'future' approaches.

I suppose the notion if you could go into the very short term past & redirect something it might have some lasting ramifications. In fact so fast that it is indistinguishable from the present. And maybe that is part of what our minds do or at least try to synthesize.
It is like we are trying to run our minds double time on the half instants between the regular integer discrete standard instants. On the fractions of instants. [Does that mean we are putting out some weird kind of sub-Planck radiation?
]
But i suspect the threshold to the past is a really sharp, stark, ominous thing.

Blackholes, where time is sort of suspended at the center might have a means of peering into the past [pasts? alternate pasts?], but maybe even there it might be more pleasant, if not necessarily more satisfying to use it to try and look into [leap to] alternate future domains, suspended over the warping of spacetime there.

Somehow we always interpret the future as many possible branches & the past as a single ominous petrification,
but it may be [& some have suggested] that the past is in fact as multi-branched as the future & what we see or perceive of it is simply a matter of angle of view.
If divergence actually occurs [which it may not] then it seems hard to imagine that convergence also may or is occurring.

The whole notion of 'useful' time travel is instigating a divergence from [singular?] sequence. [setting aside the tourism thought. If one is anthropoligically studying the past, easily arguably that has or could have ramifications/consequences].
Of course if one thinks of complete chaos of divergence, convergence & ambiguity then maybe time passage is a mechanism by which we derive/extract meaning from something that actually has none.
And perhaps our expiration is when the eccentrified, synthesized build up of 'meaningfulness' exceeds containment & we sort of short circuit back at least into meaninglessness & somewhat beyond it, if that is even possible. anti-meaningfulness? hate?
Not a pleasant thought, but i don't see any logic it seems to defy.
Dang, i think i am depressing [scaring?] myself a little with this thought inquiry.

'Hate' is the gravitas [supermass?] of the past? Again, another not pleasant thought.

Try this;
Frustration [mismatch/difference between design/projections & actual experiences] builds up over a life-time until it explodes/destructs into dissolution & seemingly inescapable hate?

Evasion might mean keeping one's hopes/anticipations vague & unstructured? Is that a cop out?
Who da woosie?

Most amazing of all is my ability to rant on, seemingly endlessly, about things where have not a single substantive element to work with.

I am the monopole.
Endless output, without any input.

(other adjectives, monotonous, monopolizing, pointless)

wouldn't it be weird if we were all [heavily?] indebted to hate & frustration [suffering?], as the benefactors of coherence & continuity they provide?

Maybe i am paranoid.
maybe there are things to be paranoid about.
Question is, how well do my imagined paranoias match to any real things that might exist?

The lady or the tiger?
You can't know what you don't know,
& you can never fully know the mind of another.

this is not all the product of personal vanity!
well, ok, maybe.

shut up self.
self, compliantly shutting up (for now)

[edit on 29-6-2010 by slank]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
traveling in time is like traveling on a fast road. you can go at any speed you can. but if you stop and go the other way you will run in to your self !

are lives are controlled by a lot of people. the government, advertising the boss at work and TV sport and the wife..

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
How to see into the future

According to Einstein, the past,the present, and the future are all occurring at once. That is to say that they are all taking place at the same time. The person that you are today is not the same person that you will be tomorrow, or next week, or next year, or twenty years from now, (should you live so long). In other words, in terms of life experiences, thoughts, memories, knowledge, etc., etc., a person is always evolving, or devolving, acquiring new knowledge, forgetting some knowledge, etc. Since the past present and future occur simultaneously, the future is already within you. One merely has to access the information that is already part of the subconscious. In order to do this, one must induce a hypnotic trance- like state in which all of the knowledge that’s been acquired in the future becomes readily available in the present. The downside of this operation: You will not remember anything when you emerge from the trance. This is because the human body and mind is not able to retain all of this additional knowledge in a present conscious state. It just can not do it! So the information that is accessed while in the trance, must be communicated to another person or recorded in some fashion, lest it be lost!

Suggestion: Try self (auto) hypnosis and a tape recorder to induce a trance. Or assistants (plural). If you choose to have but one assistant, you will be at their mercy since you will not remember a thing upon exiting the trance.

Warning!: Trance induction can result in serious injury and may even result in death! Proceed at your own risk!

Inducing the trance, one must enter into a hypnotic sleep like state of relaxation similar to the condition one experiences right before falling asleep. (Read Edgar Cayce)

Not everyone can master the art of hypnosis or become a full trance medium.......but Edgar Cayce believed that anybody could do it.

Also; study Dr. Ronald Mallett....( setting up the time machine with information)....getting in the habit of accessing information on a daily basis, so it will be in your subconcious when it is accessed.

www.youtube.com...

In closing, if this works for anybody, give me a percentage of those lotto winnings.

[edit on 29-6-2010 by MY2Commoncentsworth]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   

That is one of my favorite videos. It has been around a long time (before YouTube). But it still is something i watch occasionally so as to not forget it.

Time, in the explanation in that video, can be viewed as a 3 dimensional existence of which we only interact with 2 dimensions (moving in 1 direction on a line). If it were 3-d for us, we could choose to go to a time, just like we go to a place. We would only be confined by distance. a 4-d time would make distance a moot issue.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Each time that one of these "time travel" threads appears here on ATS, I find myself making the statement that any attempt to time travel, especially in a backwards direction, is absolutely positively PROHIBITED by nature itself.

No if, and or buts ... utterly and completely PROHIBITED.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by tauristercus
Each time that one of these "time travel" threads appears here on ATS, I find myself making the statement that any attempt to time travel, especially in a backwards direction, is absolutely positively PROHIBITED by nature itself.

Yeah, we better tell LANL. They haven't gotten the memo yet.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

Originally posted by tauristercus

Yeah, we better tell LANL. They haven't gotten the memo yet.

I'm sure that the paper you referenced makes fascinating reading and is absolutely full of interesting science/physics ... however, a simpler and more intuitive reason for my stating that (backwards) time travel would be vehemently opposed by nature is for the crucial fact that the inherent and unpredictable nature of quantum mechanics/theory and especially the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, would come crashing down in a major fail.

[edit on 29/6/10 by tauristercus]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
time travel to the past doesnt exist

if you believe it does, than you believe we are all AI and can be copied at any moment to another reality, and we would have infinite universes

and that would prove that we are a product of a computer system once and for all

so, I HOPE we cant travel back, the fact of me being an AI is not that cool

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Faiol

Originally posted by Faiol
time travel to the past doesnt exist

if you believe it does, than you believe we are all AI and can be copied at any moment to another reality, and we would have infinite universes

You are not AI. And there has been a concensus building in the scientific community for the last 10 years that time travel is not only possible but that some form of it will be realized in this century.

The laws of physics do not prohibit it, and whenever this may be the case, science fiction eventually becomes science fact.

[edit on 29-6-2010 by MY2Commoncentsworth]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join