It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What you may not know about the Gulf Oil spill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
THE MORE THINGS CHANGE, THE MORE THEY STAY THE SAME.

Here is a great video I came across. Its about the Ixtoc 1 Oil Spill and the relations to the current Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill.

Please watch it, and please spread it around. Everyone needs to know just how much we are being lied to about all that is happening. You can see by this video that BP and the oil industry is just trying to do personal relations damage control with all this "top kill" effort and such when in FACT, they know that the only way to stop this leak is to drill relief wells. ALL THE OIL SPILL NEWS YOU HAVE SEEN ON T.V. IS LIKE A GROUND HOG DAY EVENT, after watching this video: www.wimp.com...

* On June 13 1979 there was a oil leak in Alaska on a pile line, at the same time the Ixtoc 1 oil spill was happening. In 2010 the exact same thing is happening in Alaska at the Trans-Alaska oil line and of course the Deepwater Horizon Oil rig.

* The operators of the Ixtoc 1 oil rig was Cedco (spelling), Cedco later became the current company Transocean LTD. The operators of the Deepwater Horizon oil rig were/are Transocean LTD.

* The Ixtoc 1 oil rig blew up due to a failed Blow-out protector. The Deepwater Horizon failed due to the failed Blow-out protector also.

* Remember reading about how the underwater plumbs of oil were totaly unexpected? FALSE, they were reported in 1979 also!

* In 1979 they were also trying to use steel balls to clog the Ixtoc well. In 2010 they called it a "Junk Shot" and it was the same thing, steel balls and debris shot into the Deepwater well. Both times failed.

* In 1979 they also tried to use mud and sea water to plug the Ixtoc well. In 2010 they tried a "Top Kill" that was the same method as in 1979 and it failed this time too.

* In 1979 the used Air Planes to drop dispersant on the oil, same thing they do in 2010.

* In 1979 they used a mile long oil-boom, today they use a longer oil-boom.

* In 1979 they used oil containment ships, as they do now also.

* In 1979 they were worried that the "Loop Current" would take the oil out of the Gulf and wash it onto Florida, just as they talk about today.

* In 1979 they used a giant cone called then a "Sombrero" to try to contain the leaking Ixtoc well. In 2010 they used a giant box called now a "Top Hat" to try to contain the Deepwater Horizon well.

* In 1979, 9 months after the Ixtoc exploded, they were able to drill 2 relief wells and were able to cap the Ixtoc oil spill. In 2010, they started with the drilling right away ASAP.

* In 1979 Ixtoc 1 was in 200 feet of water. In 2010, they use the same techniques to try to cap the Deepwater Horizon, but, this well is in 5000 feet of water!

"The only thing the oil industry has got better at is drilling deeper. They havnt done anything to advance the technology to make these wells safer, or the clean-up methods quicker." This is a fact.

[edit on 29-6-2010 by MrSmith]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I have a thread showing Racheal Maddow covering this very spill with video...www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
couldn't they put a giant extremely heavy cylinder that's 25 ft. (or more) wide at the base over the leak?

The cylinder would only be static and solid for maybe 40 or 50 ft up, then it would be some sort of flexible cylinder tube from there, leading up to the surface into an enormous enclosed area where ships could siphon it safely.

The top hat isn;t even doing anything, there has to be a way to fit something over the entire leak site and prevent the massive plume from just expanding immediately into the open water.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Wow, I watched that and I couldn't help but shake my head and laugh. Now I know they are just blowing smoke up our donkeys.

She is right, you could close your eyes and listen and think that this was the horizon disaster.

Oh a side note, I know this is a MSM broadcast and all but I really like that reporter a lot. She is sarcastic, brash and hilarious.
Not to mention that she doesn't mind bashing the oil industry. Now that's what makes a good anchor.

[edit on 29-6-2010 by DaMod]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Actually, Sedco didn't become a part of Transocean until 1999.

I think they knew the top kill wouldn't stop the leak, it was (in my opinion) only attempted as an attempt to slow the leak down, like at Ixtoc.

I do think that considering the fact that an almost identical accident happened before, some sort of plan for dealing with another one should have been in place.

I use the Ixtoc alot in explaining the ramifications of the current crisis. Mainly the fact that it took 10 months to stop the leak in 162 feet of water.

EDIT:

And the "junk shot" at Ixtoc didn't fail, it reduced the flow by 2/3 when it was completed.

[edit on 6/29/2010 by ThaLoccster]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by depth om

You would think so wouldn't you. I mean the problem with capping it is there is so much pressure shooting up and the oil is forced to put pressure on the cap and around it therefore making it impossible to cap. Do the same thing with a hole and a tube running out of it and whala the oil has somewhere to go. I don't know wtf they are thinking, what I do know is they should know wtf is going down with an almost identical disaster happening in the past. You would figure they would know what does and does not work by now!

P.S. Why are people not flagging this thread? It's good stuffs!

[edit on 29-6-2010 by DaMod]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Nicely done report. Points well made. Deja vu indeed. Thanks for posting this.

No technological advances because frankly they don't care to invest in anything that might cut into their sacred profits. They feel they are untouchable and invincible and they have such an industry cabal going and have so many palms greased, why should they care about things like people or the environment? There's no motivation in it for them.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Thanks guys!

Originally posted by ~LucidityNo technological advances because frankly they don't care to invest in anything that might cut into their sacred profits. They feel they are untouchable and invincible and they have such an industry cabal going and have so many palms greased, why should they care about things like people or the environment? There's no motivation in it for them.

I agree!

If people knew that in 30 years ZERO money, of all their huge profits, has gone to industry safety or improvements they might want changes. This is the point.

Or so it seems to me anyways.

[edit on 29-6-2010 by MrSmith]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12GaugePermissionSlip
I have a thread showing Racheal Maddow covering this very spill with video...www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'll have a look myself when I get back home, thanks!

top topics

join