It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Consolidated Reporting on the Gulf Disaster... A Plea for Rational Thought

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
My Fellow ATS'ers,

As many of you are well aware, each day new and more sensational threads are begun in response to the Deepwater Horizon Disaster.

"EVACUATION COMING"
"THE GULF IS DEAD"
"ALIENS THROWING PARTY IN NEW ORLEANS"

Etcetra, etcetara. We've all seen it. It's almost mind numbing what has been proposed in some of these threads.

Let's take a moment and look at some of what we 'know' at this moment...

1. This is the worst environmental disaster in the history of the United States. Even our own government has to admit this fact.

2. Millions of Gulf residents have had, or will have, their life impacted in a moderate to severe way. Another truth, hard as it may be to swallow.

3. All efforts at stopping the blowout to this point have failed.

My aim for this thread is that it be a haven of factual information, reliable first-hand accounts, verifiable reporting, and rational hypothesis. I would like to have a few people from the following locales to contribute local news, observations, and recent developments on a fairly reliable basis.

LOUISIANA:
New Orleans
Houma
Slidell

MISSISSIPPI:
Pass Christian
Biloxi
Gulfport
Pascagoula

ALABAMA:
Bayou LaBatre
Mobile

FLORIDA:
Pensacola
Fort Walton Beach
Panama City
Tampa - GuiltyByDesign

Being that I live in Tampa, I will do what I can to keep this thread updated with information that I come across here.

The way I see it, what better way to get a true grip on this situation than to have rational, critical-thinking, common sense ATS'ers who live in the region?

I only ask that we keep sesationalism and fear-mongering to a minimum, if any.
I also ask that snippets and quotes from known "TEOTWAWKI" sites... ie, beforeitsnews... be vetted as best as possible before posting.

If you'd like to be a representative for your area, please post in this thread or U2U me and I will update the above locations with usernames.

Thanks for your time and I look forward to some good, rational, critical-thinking collaboration.

GBD

[edit on 29-6-2010 by GuiltyByDesign]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Tampa Update for 29 June, 2010, 2 PM EST:

Tampa Bay Online report discussing Hurricane Alex's impact on clean-up and skimming operations, taken from the Associated Press.

www2.tbo.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
A relative of mine is in Mississippi near the coast at the moment, I'll see if I can get her to give a status report, along with the locations she surveyed.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by vyrox

Thanks, every bit of information we get will help us.

Second line.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
An excellent idea! I would volunteer , but as it turns out, your a Bay dweller as well.I must say though, that I`m glad to have someone else in the same boat as me, here on ATS. Tampa is definitely not the best strategic position for us in regards to this disaster. I`m going to stay prepared and I`ll keep my eyes out for any news that you may happen to miss.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by PalmerEldritch36

Actually, I'd love to have another Tampa Bay resident supply information. Two sets of eyes are better than one, you very well might catch something I may miss.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by GuiltyByDesign

My aim for this thread is that it be a haven of factual information, reliable first-hand accounts, verifiable reporting, and rational hypothesis. I would like to have a few people from the following locales to contribute local news, observations, and recent developments on a fairly reliable basis. ...

your proposal is a fantasy-wish exercise... what the heck will local eye-witness accounts of beach or marsh damage have to do with the blow-out at the well head & just what actions are being attempted/thought about?

passionate reports of limited scope is the only return you'll get...

i guess venting outrage is a positive thing though.

I said it many weeks ago, & my suggestion falls on death ears...

Make the Gulf of Mexico a closed and contained body of water...
build a containment wall from Florida- connecting all the Keys,
then arc over to Cuba...and from Cuba span the deep water between Cuba and the Yucatan land mass....
that would effectively contain the Gulf & the gusher & the apparent seafloor fissures...
the Gulf itself can then become as putrified as it will---
without further contaminating the Carribbean or allowing putrified Gulf oil-water mixtures from penetrating into the Gulf Stream (at the Florida Keys) current & causing major changes to the North Atlantic or Europes weather.

Just as the Dubai engineers built islands in the Gulf of Arabia,
so too can American/Cuban/ western hemisphere engineers construct a 'wall' to contain the GoM loop currents...
then seperate, then process, the oil in the hydrocarbon Lake of Mexico

[edit on 29-6-2010 by St Udio]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by GuiltyByDesign

Sorry, but I just can't resist. It looks to me like the guy who is pointing his finger was wanting to stick it somewhere. I wonder if Joe was aware of this. This is hardly a picture that instills confidence about the way they're are handling this disaster.

That being said, I still feel that this thing should have been blown up months ago as I have previously stated here on ATS. Oil eating microbes should have been utilized from day one, and the federal government should have imposed new regulations instead of shutting down all oil drilling platforms.

The way this disaster is being handled is just as much of a disaster in itself.

As a gulf coast resident, I am keeping a close eye on developments, especially hurricane Alex.

It appears that hurricane Alex will have some impact on the movement of the oil throughout the gulf, although it could have been much worse.

news.yahoo.com...

video.foxbusiness.com...

[edit on 29-6-2010 by MY2Commoncentsworth]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio
your proposal is a fantasy-wish exercise... what the heck will local eye-witness accounts of beach or marsh damage have to do with the blow-out at the well head & just what actions are being attempted/thought about?

passionate reports of limited scope is the only return you'll get...

i guess venting outrage is a positive thing though.

[edit on 29-6-2010 by St Udio]

Actually, this is one of the best, most rational thread ideas yet. If we can't rely on the MSM to give us the facts, who better than those who are actually THERE? Passionate, yes; venting outrage, who could blame them? The point is to get the word out and keep people informed. Will it fix the rig? No. But many are scared and confused, if not for their own sake, for others', and this is a good way to encourage people to contribute something and help others out. The people are being blocked from action in regards to the spill itself. Let them at least try to maximise their amount of power over their lives with the addition of knowledge.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

I said it many weeks ago, & my suggestion falls on death ears...

Make the Gulf of Mexico a closed and contained body of water...
build a containment wall from Florida- connecting all the Keys,
then arc over to Cuba...and from Cuba span the deep water between Cuba and the Yucatan land mass....
that would effectively contain the Gulf & the gusher & the apparent seafloor fissures...
the Gulf itself can then become as putrified as it will---
without further contaminating the Carribbean or allowing putrified Gulf oil-water mixtures from penetrating into the Gulf Stream (at the Florida Keys) current & causing major changes to the North Atlantic or Europes weather.

You're sick dude.
What else can I say.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I U2U'd you some thoughts. This is a great idea. I might suggest more than just eyewitness accounts but news stories about things like evacuation plans and preparedness and plant life and wildlife damage. Anything that puts together a big picture of the reality of things going on there.

Here are a few things to start...

162 cases of illness linked to oil spill reported in Louisiana

(CNN) -- Exposure to the oil disaster in the Gulf of Mexico has resulted in 162 cases of illnesses reported to the Louisiana state health department, according to a report released Monday. Of those cases, 128 involved workers on oil rigs or individuals involved in the oil spill cleanup efforts, the report said.

Among the most common reported symptoms were throat irritation, shortness of breath, cough, eye irritation, nausea and headaches, according to the department's oil spill surveillance report.

Ex aminer

There is a desalinization plant near Tampa Bay that provides drinking water to approximately 1.8 million people. Plans on how the city intends to deal with the oil spill in the event of a tropical storm or hurricane could not be confirmed.

www.csmonitor.com

Orange Beach, Ala.

Ron Greve expects the worst is yet to come in the oil spill drama that is haranguing beach towns all along the US Gulf Coast. So, like a growing number of residents, the Pensacola Beach solar-cell salesman took a hazardous materials class and received a “hazmat card” upon graduation.

[edit on 29-6-2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by GonzoPoet

the rig is gone, the completed corrupted well/well casing is allowing unabated oil penetrations into the surrounding strata at numberous failed pipe 'joints' in the seafloor.

a lot of this is speculated, dervied from data not expressly dribbled out to the media... the whole danger scenario is being handled as 'Secret' by BP engineers... i even doubt that the Govt Corps of Engineers are being kept apprised of the complete situation.

B
P for its part is going to put anothe dome shaped collector to capture even more of the oil gushing into the seawater... perhaps still another and larger dome shaped collector to be placed over the other two Top-Hats & domes... hoping to capture 50% of the unabated gusher--- as the BP clowns are under a misapprehension that the 'gusher' will soon 'spend itself out' and the flow would drop to a manageable 10k bbls per day...

with only a 10% loss into the GoM waters.... they are not thinking containment---they are think only of capturing a descent % of the gusher...

as they expect it to slow to just a trickle over time...

Just how will your local eyewitnesses be useful to uncover this covert operaton?

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

I got your U2U and you made some excellent points, thanks for your input!

Absolutely, any news of local government policy concerning the spill, clean-up, or (God forbid) evacuation orders would be helpful.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by MY2Commoncentsworth

no, BP & the present administration is the sick ones...
BP is only looking for a decent ammount of recovered oil,
all their operations are focused on that strategy... the nObama
regieme is nor using the Coast Guard nor the Corps of Engineers
to takes steps in cutting off or otherwise reducing the oil intrusion.

no, all those sickos are doing is waiting for the flow to expend itself to a trickle after some 3-4 billion (is it gallons or barrells) of oil lay waste to the Gulf coasts... with a soon-to-be-bankrupt BP responsible for the costs...
Yeah - on to the next fantasy

rumor has it that Exxon will assimilate BP in the not too distant future

the next misinformation campaign will be that the velocity of oil has slowed down to manageable rates, but there will still be years of monthly cleanups on various beaches...

thanks for the pitch forks & daggers, it will come in handy when its time to say 'i told you so'

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Thank you. I'm fairly new here & don't know if I could even start a thread yet. I intended to look for people with eyes on in the area of the spill hoping to get factual information today. I'm home so many people I know depend on me keeping them updated.

k

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I agree that we should try and keep everything consolidated , so instead of starting a new thread, I will toss this into yours.
Has anybody seen this?????

hisz.rsoe.hu...

I wasn't real sure about the other stories about the bubbling water in the surf, but considering the source here, I'm a bit startled.
Any ideas as to who they get their summary info from?

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Sorry, should have told you to go to the Situation Update.

Second line.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by metalmom
I agree that we should try and keep everything consolidated , so instead of starting a new thread, I will toss this into yours.
Has anybody seen this?????

hisz.rsoe.hu...

I wasn't real sure about the other stories about the bubbling water in the surf, but considering the source here, I'm a bit startled.
Any ideas as to who they get their summary info from?

Excellent find! Just a cursory overview of that sight showed that it has some very interesting observations of local conditions. Thanks for the link!

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Good idea, as long as every single bit of bad news isn't decried as "fear-mongering".

I'm afraid though, that this will wind up a pollyanna, "everything's fine, don't worry" kind of thread.

There are some very real and nearterm threats that people who haven't done their homework keep discounting as fear-mongering.

Yje ONLY ratinal way to look at this is to understand and ACKNOWLEDGE the reality of the multiple threats this leak poses in the nearterm, midterm, and longterm.

There is no good whatsoever coming out of that hole, it isn't going to be easy to stop, perhaps not possible to stop, and there are many, many unkowns that could quite literally blow up in our faces.

Refusal to face reality, no matter how bad that reality is or might be, is ultimately suicidal.

First we need to understand and acknowledge, not the worst possible case, but the near-worst, since that is more likely to occur, and prepare for it regardless of the cost or discomfort.

Personally, I'm getting sick and tired of people who keep saying that this is not the huge catastrophe it actually is, and that anyone and everyone who raises the alarm, backed by facts, is fear-mongering: get a grip and end the wishful thinking, please. Face reality instead of hiding from it.

People are dying, will die both slowly and suddenly from a myriad of effects from this. Ecological systems have already been compromised beyond easy repair. Economic losses are devastating already.

None of that is fear-mongering, but a recognition of reality. Only when what has already happened is accepted as fact can we begin to find ratinal ways of dealing with it. So far, I've seen precious little sanity or rationality apllied in stoppong the leak or cleaning up the consequences.

By all means, be rational: but ignoring facts or trying to downplay the dangers doesn't come within hailing distance of rationality.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Will have to wait and see what the next few weeks bring, but if the info is correct.....God help us all.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join