It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help needed for South East Asia adventure

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
People of ATS I need your help. I need your worldly knowledge.

In September I'm going on an adventure, I've purchased a one-way ticket to Thailand and am planning on spending 6-12 months roaming the surrounding areas: Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Indonesia, Bali, who knows where else.

I've got some things in mind that are a must see, the kind of places you see in your average tour guide or all over the internet but I want more.

I want to know if any of my fellow forum dwellars can give me some advice on amazing places to visit, places that are ancient, beautiful, maybe hold a bit of mystery. I'm sure there's some places you guys have been that aren't in the tour guides which you wouldn't have missed for the world.

Maybe tell me why you liked the place and any mysteries related to it.

I'd be truly grateful. I cannot offer anything in return, only my thanks and maybe a photo of the place when I get there.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Were I you, I would definitely go and see Angkor Wat. The old stone cities are magic, wherever they may be found.
Have a safe journey and a fantastic time

The wife and I are planning a trip to her home in Borneo next year, I'll give you a holler across the straights of sumatra

[edit on 29-6-2010 by Asktheanimals]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
before you leave, make sure you CLEARLY understand how your visa works. sometimes it seems to be good for a year when in fact it's only good for 3 months that can be used anytime in the next year.i doubt your travel agent will bother making that distinction for you.

also, find out the countries laws regarding renewing your visa or extending your visa. they vary greatly from place to place. some require you to leave the country and return. some don't.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Yeah they're on the cards for sure.
Do it, give me a U2U if you have access, Borneo is always an option!

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by IvanObanion

Tell me about it... Getting my head around the Visa situation has been the hardest thing, infact, I have left it to my better half. I've not had the luxury of a travel agent/tour operator for info however I'm lucky enough to have friends and family who have done similar jaunts... plus the thai consulate is pretty close by.

About two months ago I seriously thought it was just a case of getting a plane ticket and flying the hell out of here!

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by and14263

yeah, whatever you do DO NOT take it for granted. i was kindly asked to leave australia for this very reason.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Hello OP - Good luck with your trip, I'm sure you'll see many things which you won't forget and have an awesome time.

I've been living, working and travelling in Asia for about 13 years or so, my work affording me the benefit of having to travel regularly around Asia so am quite familiar with most countries in the region.

A couple of broad tips:

If you are thinking budget, then Air-Asia X is the way to go for very cheap flights ($10-100). New fleet of planes too, and can only be booked online. For China, Spring Airlines is the best budget carrier, same deal as Asia X.

Most countries in Southeast Asia in my opinion it's far better to just get yourself a motorbike; saves alot of grief when trying to go to specific places, gives you way more freedom, is much more enjoyable and you'll see much more. Thailand is easier to get around without the local lingo, but Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Indonesia - a bike would be preferable. $50-70/month to hire or $300-500 to buy should be sufficient.

Agree with the other poster Angkor Wat is a must see in Cambodia, plus the killing fields and torture chambers for a lesson in the country's horrific past. Vietnam - the beauty of Vietnam is out in the countryside, not in the cities; if you get a bike, you can throw it on the train and say go up to Tuy Hoa/ Quy Non area, then slowly wind back down on the coast for some amazing scenery and friendly locals. Plenty of side trips into mountainous inland areas, temples, and war sites (bunkers, tunnels, ruins etc) - just remember noone will know what you are talking about if you mention the Vietnam War; they only know it as the American War.

Indonesia you can island hop by ferry very easily and cheaply. I only really know some of the best surfing spots in Indonesia, the beaches are really the drawcard there; but it really depends what you prefer doing and seeing I guess. If you want specifics let me know.

If you are in Vietnam, you can just go overland without any hassle to China, which is well worth a couple of months. Too many spun out and mystical places (as you mention you want to see) to list - again if you want specifics I'd be happy to suggest some which are off the tourist trails, but very worth going to spots and regions.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   
In Cities of the Underworld they do an episode on the Vietcong underground tunnel networks, and show places that still have them.

Out in the jungle, watch out for unexploded ordinance.

Any chance you can send back some exotic vegetable seeds???

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by cloudbreak

Cloudbreak that is invaluble information - Thank you. It seems the more I hear the more my excitment is increasing. I'll relay the info to my partner, she did mention China and we both agreed it could be a good idea. You know, I never even thought about the motorbike idea, Vietnam looks like my perfect place and doing it by bike would be some trip.
Thanks.

reply to post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

That sounds interesting, I'll do some research on those. Good advice on the bombs for sure!
Thank you!

top topics

join