It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Choosing healthy foods now called a mental disorder

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
They'll have to tear my salad from my cold, dead hands before they make me eat processed crap. I could live on salads. Processed food... eh, not so much

EDIT: And just because conspiracies are fun, maybe TPTB are turning us "simpletons" onto crap food for a reason - a reason other than control over the masses, I mean. Is it possible there's a scary shortage of the good nutritious stuff, and they want it to stockpile it all for themselves?

[edit on 30-6-2010 by frazzled]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Grossac

Szasz is in a very small minority and almost no one listens to him anymore. While his ideas were revolutionary in the 60s and 70s, neuroimaging technology has advanced by leaps and bounds in the past four decades. Now, almost every mental disorder is connected to a visible malfunction of the brain. So, there is physical evidence that these disorders are actual abnormalities and not just a random construct created by a psychologist.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
that is stupid, and in my oppinion a supression of free-thinking.
since the choice to eat healthy food (or any other personal choice) is a manifestation of free-will and free-thinking.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Eating healthy is one thing... being obsessed with it is another.

Avoiding certain supermarket isles "like the plague" or having to take your salad from your "cold dead hands" sounds more like paranoia than anything actually healthy... think thats what the article is about. Its not about "eating healthy" is about the paranoia of eating healthy and like any extreme, it can become a mental disorder, yes.

I keep a balance...

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by mutantgenius
I heard about this before and it is the MOST ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Do they have a name like this for people who smoke cigarettes?
I know who's behind this, Phsyciatrists, they have a name for every thing, even a complex name for inability to learn math well, we are all sick and diseased on at least 20 different levels according to them. Let me guess, the cure for this is.....medication. Maybe Xanax, Klonopin or valium. Perfect for counteracting all that healthy lifestyleism.
I really hate modern science sometimes.
Sick F******s. I think we should make up a name for them, Drug-pusherismnervosasickoiticliarismloonymakers, or something.

I saw a chilling video on YT by a psychiatric grad student, she showed how the psychiatrists have to come up with a diagnosis of something, anything, in order to be paid by the insurance companies. They basically force psychiatrists away from preventative medicine, and instead add to the patient's distress by giving them reinforcement for their fears.

So there's no way you leave the office without a diagnosis.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Feed it beans, you're gassed up if you think it's stopping me!

But argh, that's insane and stupid! I can eat whatever I want to eat, even a lightbulb for crying out loud! Disease my ass.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
reply to post by Grossac

Now, almost every mental disorder is connected to a visible malfunction of the brain. So, there is physical evidence that these disorders are actual abnormalities and not just a random construct created by a psychologist.

Anything we do is connected to some function of the brain. If i'm watching a horror and I'm scared, it will show up on the scan. If I lie, it will show up on the scan. It doesnt mean it's a physical disorder. They are called personalities. Do they want everyone to be the same?. Clones? Who watches the watchers? I think psychiatry is a mental disorder and should be added as one in the DSM.

With the amount of them out there, I wonder how many actually take prescriptions? Labotomies are still alive and well exept being done with pills. And if it were a disease, those pills are not the cure. Just something to mask the so called symptoms and to line their wallets.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grossac
reply to post by VneZonyDostupa

Here we go. The only source you will accept is on of a psychiatrist right.. Well I dont think they'll put something out like that on paper but here are a few things you can read.

Here

Here is one from Dr. Thomas Szasz, Professor Emeritus of Psychiatry at the State University of New, York, Syracuse. Here

Google

I asked for sources that document the specific accusations and events you claimed in your previous post. Instead, you've given me a mockumentary full of drivel, two personal websites that make claims with no evidence, and a google search results list.

Please, if you don't understand what an academic source is, don't bother getting involved in academic debates.

[edit on 6/30/2010 by VneZonyDostupa]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this!

I completely understand where this uproar is coming from but must add a bit from my own experiences. Healthy eating is obviously incredibly important but the anxiety about doing so CAN create mental strife in people who are prone to obsessive, compulsive, and/or self-harming behaviors. Clearly, those who care about eating healthy (including myself) are not ill, BUT eating only certain foods is just as plausible of an obsession as hand washing, intense paranoia, and other eating disorders.

I do not support the generalization that anyone who eats healthy foods is "mental." That bothers me very much. Just keep an eye out for the fine line between healthy food and unhealthy obsession.
Its rare, but out there.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Grossac

Most modern research points to personality being the product of synapses and the connections between neurons, not the gross anatomy of the brain. For the best book I've read on this topic check out Synaptic Self by Joseph LeDoux, a professor of psychology at NYU and one of the leading neuroscientists in the world. When it comes to disorders however, it is entire structures that are different. The exception to this is OCD which is primarily caused by misfiring neurons in the prefrontal cortex. In essence it starts as a very small, well contained seizure, but as those connections become stronger due to the neurons firing simultaneously, it becomes a more permanent condition.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by VneZonyDostupa

If you would have stated academic source it might of helped.. Dont get bent out of shape cause you will have to go to a psychiatrist and start poping pills for your anger.. sheesh..

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Thanks for the info. Just wondering if people that meditate daily would have said differences. Even tribes accross the globe that do dance rituals.. That must affect the brain is specific ways also. I am no medical doctor but I do know when I'm sick. I have physical signs.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Grossac

I haven't done much research into the physiological impact meditation has on a person, although I've been meaning to, so I can't really give a good answer. However, my research into things like attention makes me think that it would be more on a neuronal level that a difference would be noticed.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
after reading ur title ..... imean ive had it man
turning evrybody into brainwashed zombies
im gonna have 2 take a brake

i cant take it anymore

c my thread if u wonder why

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by frazzled

no theirs enough healty food
they just dont want u 2 eat it cuz u live longeer u feel good and happie u dont buy their medicine
and it makes u smrter whel.. not getting ur vitamins and minerals makes u dumber therefore easier 2 control
thats what i think

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I think the OP and all subsequent people who are "appalled" by the statement that was made in the article are overreacting. The article is not saying that everybody who chooses healthy food is crazy; rather, it is claiming that there is a mental disorder that causes one to seek out healthy food like an addiction. What is meant by mental disorder (in this case) is a different behavior than normal, thus called a disorder. Another mental condition that is called a disorder is hyperthymia, which denotes and extremely happy and energetic person, among other things. They are not saying that these mental disorders are diseases or illnesses that must be cured...they are simply stating that they are different than the norm, which is junk food and fast food. If everybody started eating healthy food, it would no longer be called a mental disorder.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I'm no psychiatrist,
but I do have reasoning skills and the sense that creation gave me.

Clearly eating healthy food is not a sickness
and there is a real problem to name it as such.

There clearly is a sickness shown in the videos...

which appears to be an obsessive compulsive disorder
which is less to do with being healthy as it is to do with control.

It seems as if the sick people shown in the videos
feel out of control and are attempting
to assert some form of control in their lives
by controlling what they eat.

Are people crazy for worrying about what they eat
in a world where people are fed cardboard softened with industrial chemicals
and flavored with pork seasonings?

www.cbsnews.com...

Maybe the crazy ones are those who eat chicken mcnuggets that contain
the same chemicals as silly putty and don't care?

www.sfgate.com...

The government tells us how much pesticide and toxins is safe for us to eat and drink.

Is that crazy? Is that crazy????

Maybe the crazy ones, are the ones who don't care?

Maybe the crazy ones are the ones who trust people who
couldn't care less about them to make their food
and feed their children?

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by livefreeordie306
Thanks for posting this!

I completely understand where this uproar is coming from but must add a bit from my own experiences. Healthy eating is obviously incredibly important but the anxiety about doing so CAN create mental strife in people who are prone to obsessive, compulsive, and/or self-harming behaviors. Clearly, those who care about eating healthy (including myself) are not ill, BUT eating only certain foods is just as plausible of an obsession as hand washing, intense paranoia, and other eating disorders.

I do not support the generalization that anyone who eats healthy foods is "mental." That bothers me very much. Just keep an eye out for the fine line between healthy food and unhealthy obsession.
Its rare, but out there.

Just like water. Yes, you should drink water. But you can take it too far:
www.drbenkim.com...

I tried to find the story I read years ago about the woman whose mother died of stomach cancer. She was so worried about getting it herself that she drank gallons of water a day (thinking it would rinse any cancerous cells away, apparently), and all that water wound up killing her.

Obsession - be it about food, or certain people...or even conspiracy theories can be very dangerous if you take it too far.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by icecold7
after reading ur title ..... imean ive had it man
turning evrybody into brainwashed zombies
im gonna have 2 take a brake

i cant take it anymore

c my thread if u wonder why

I can already tell. Texting abbreviations and misspellings are a good sign of mental collapse.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sky01
I think the OP and all subsequent people who are "appalled" by the statement that was made in the article are overreacting.

People like to overreact on this site.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join