It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Choosing healthy foods now called a mental disorder

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by nunya13
reply to post by darkelf

I think you would be mentally ill to NOT want to eat healthy, ESPECIALLY after finding out you have diabetes.

That is impossible.

Every food on the market, no matter where from, has a risk of being contaminated.

Even your garden grown food, can be contaminated through dozens of ways.

You either get a full chemistry set and start testing every little food you eat, or you can GET OVER IT.

And LIVE LIFE for once!! And just eat whatever you want!!

Oh but that would make life too easy wouldn't it?

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Those stupid psychology/psychiatric books are packed full of BS "disorders". It's mostly just made up stuff that isn't even true.

And I don't need a psychologist or other 'expert" to tell me when someone is acting totally crazy or dumb.

My wife's mother is a great example.

She is a nice lady, means well.

But she has been on countless "diet fads" over the last 20 years. None work. She keeps trying them though. Pouring thousands of dollars into them hoping she will get skinny.

It never works. Ever. But the $$$ keep flowing.

This my friends, is crazy. A mental disorder. A repetitive problem that makes no sense at all.

But hey, at least she isn't a quitter right? She never gives up hope!

Let's be real here folks. The lady is still 250lbs and has a mental disorder. No matter how she eats, she stays the same. 20 years should have rammed this realization though but nope, it didn't.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

The need for all the diagnoses is because each one works through different mechanisms in the brain. Also, people spend all this time focusing on new possible diagnoses, but they neglect to mention all of the obsolete diagnoses that are removed. At one time the DSM committee was even talking about getting rid of all of the personality disorders.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   

I'm having a hard time understanding what you're saying. Are you saying that there is no evidence that a person who at least tries to eat healthy will be healthier and/or live longer than a person who does not?

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   

There is a big difference between going on a diet and eating healthy. One requires unreasonable goals and establishes eating habits that are ridiculously hard to obtain and the other can be equated to making a simple choice between eating half a bag of chips or a handful of nuts.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
there is no way that this artical is true. The human race isn't completly retarded, by limiting what they can and cannot eat, will cause alot of probelms for the goverment and associates.

"an apple a day keeps the doctor away" although you could eat an apple and still have cancer, it just says eating healthy is good for you, and if there are people really telling them the oppisite, then i believe that is more then enough information to call them mentally insane.

Controlling a populas through what they eat and watch on tv is called "greedy power hungry control freaks"

Only mentally retarded (americans?) people would believe such nonsence.

so it has to be fake or else I'm going to burn down alot of buildings, they want mentally insane so....lol

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

What does Celebrex have to do with anything?

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

What does Celebrex have to do with anything?

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   

What exactly do you mean by "contaminated"?

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
if the author of the article (and any 'medical' article for that matter) has balanced their being such that they do not die and basically are a 'whole spirit' such that they can leave the planet at will and a variety of other 'full health' capabilities... then it may be worth listening..
since I know they haven't.. and since this really is the only measure of 'right being' that I am aware of, beyond simply returning to source...
I won't pay any attention to it at all!

what is occurring now is a collective psychic healing and breaking.. different for each being.. energies are accelerating and many of the limiting patterns of thought and behaviour are being pushed to the absolute limit where they cannot be sustained any more because they are simply not correct or based on denial.

this is partially why there is so much 'classification' of everything and attempt to enforce total conformity.. people are stuck in loops and need to evolve lovingly to even maintain a physical presence on this planet.

you can always FEEL what is right for you in any moment, that is all that is needed.. thinking will probably confuse unless you have thoroughly detoxified your mind and body.

some people may take that as a 'thinking is stupid or too much effort' type of idea.. this is not the case, it is born of deep exploration and comes from one who generally thought 10-100 times the 'number' of thoughts per second of anyone I ever met.

this is not 'ego buffing'.. believe me, much of that accelerated thinking brought great suffering.. it MUST be balanced in the heart with full allowance for feeling.. or there is suffering.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by MKULTRA

In the upcoming DSM V, there is no such eating disorder listed in their eating disorders category:

www.dsm5.org...

Additionally if you do a search for 'orthorexia' you get this:

"No results matching your search were found."

Orthorexia is also not found in the ICD-10.

A review of the literature at pubmed.com yields 17 results for 'orthorexia nervosa' dating back to 2002.

Even if the medical establishment wanted to add this 'new' diagnosis, there would have to be much more literature conducted in peer-reviewed journals. Single case studies and measurement validation attempts from Sweden and Turkey just don't cut it.

Thanks so much. The article is utter nonsense. I'm sorry people are finding it disturbing, and wondering why anyone would make a thread of this garbage.

Cool off, angry folks, and angry OP. This is another just another absurdity.

There are several eating disorders, but "healthy eating" is not one of them.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Seems everything has a label these days - to call healthy eating a mental disorder is just absurd. Behind the scenes they probably want us all to go back to eating junk and chemicals they put in our food. They want our business thus our money. It will be the day when someone tells me how to eat!

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I did some basic research awhile ago that showed how caffeine stimulates cortisol production which in turn is directly related to adrenaline production...the meaning is that such a constant chemical influence predisposes the body to a reactive physiological state, which inherently distracts from concerted and mental attentions.

It's not the act of a single ingestion, rather the routine daily incorporation of such in one's life.

This story is ridiculous and underscores immensely how dissociated our health professionals are when it comes to intra-professional extrapolation...

But what do I know...I ain't no doctorate...

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

The cortisol-epinephrine connection has been known for some time, as they share some common receptors and stimuli. As for caffeine increasing cortisol, I've seen varied studies. Some show fairly strong evidence that, yes, chronic caffeine ingestion increases ACTH (not cortisol, directly) levels, which leads to cortisol production. Some studies, though, show that naturally increased cortisol levels (due to stress or intrinsic factors) cause a craving for caffeine-rich foods/drinks.

So, I suppose it's a "chicken and the egg" scenario. IS the cortisol level increasing due to increased caffeine intake, or is our caffeine intake increasing due to increased cortisol levels created by other stimuli?

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by VneZonyDostupa

Thanks for some clarification...I think the point of an extended "reactionary" physiological state does not falter though. Unless I grossly misinterpreted, these interactions relate to conscious amygdala interaction, which is the currently understood focal point for the fight or flight response (proximity to the hippocampus and long term memory...which holds some clues to reactionary behaviour)...

Whether the chicken came before the egg is beside the point in this case, in my opinion...though I concede that I have yet to see an actual study regarding reactionary behaviour and its' effect on cognition (I don't think it is a static assessment to make for an individual though as temporal factors apply as well)...

I may have stretched myself thin in this post...

Edit to Add -

or is our caffeine intake increasing due to increased cortisol levels created by other stimuli?

It could also be stated that various external stimulii is more likely to create cortisol production. An interesting thought when one considers how involved people can become with television/movie presentations when they are only a representation of the experiences that we have evolved to react to...

[edit on Tue, 29 Jun 2010 18:50:23 -0500 by MemoryShock]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

You definitely make a good point. Like I said, I've only seen a few studies, and I'll admit, I only skimmed them as endocrinology is not my career specialty. It very well may have a different physiologic response when you consider the hippocampal reward circuit. If I ever stumble across a study, I'll be certain to pass it along your way.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
pseudo doctors. They add new one every year. They meet up once a year and vote on new mental illness. As per them, more the 50% of the population is mentally ill. I mean, if 51% are mentally ill, wouldnt it be the other 49% that are out of the norm. Kidds are all on medacation, drugs in the water. They are all quacks. They dont even have physical tests to prove their diagnostics. If you break an arm at least you can see it on the xray. With A.D.D. it's just what they think. No physical tests. You have to go on their word.. If you go see more that one so called doctor, they probably will all have different diags.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grossac
pseudo doctors. They add new one every year. They meet up once a year and vote on new mental illness. As per them, more the 50% of the population is mentally ill. I mean, if 51% are mentally ill, wouldnt it be the other 49% that are out of the norm. Kidds are all on medacation, drugs in the water. They are all quacks. They dont even have physical tests to prove their diagnostics. If you break an arm at least you can see it on the xray. With A.D.D. it's just what they think. No physical tests. You have to go on their word.. If you go see more that one so called doctor, they probably will all have different diags.

Sources, please.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Really, Is there such a thing as eating "Healthy" anymore? all of our food sources are provided by big corp., the pesticides used in any agriculture homegrown are tainted, and now we're all waiting on the rains to ruin any hope of growing organic...
Im going nuts just thinking about dinner, let alone what my colon may have in store for me in the next ten yrs...
Of course we'll be labeled nuts for wanting to eat healthy, There is no such thing!!!

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Ah stop blaming others.

You eat what you eat. If YOU put on weight, it's because YOU ate to much. If you are unhealthy, it's because YOU didn't eat healthy enough and if YOU choose to eat one and not the other, then it's YOUR choice. Just don't shout your preaching gibberish at others.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join