It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Choosing healthy foods now called a mental disorder

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernutty

Check out the seventh day adventist eating model they are listed among the longest lived.
ngm.nationalgeographic.com...
We have started growing our own veggies we make our own compost are vegetarian and it has made a really big difference in our health. You can select organic foods for just slightly more $$ and actualy those with families if you cook with beans and other legumes, make soups and bake your own healthy bread (breadmaker makes it easy) you can really save $$ instead of spending more on food. it can really befun!

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
...I take it nobody watched the video links I provided on pg.6...

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
i eat healthy, because i want to remain pretty and live long, most of human diseases progresses from poor eating habits

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by carpenter84
i eat healthy, because i want to remain pretty and live long, most of human diseases progresses from poor eating habits

See, they're right... A guy who thinks diseases come from bad eating...
Do you think ill people eat "diseaseful" food??!
If that's not a lunatic...

I'm fat, eat junk and watch sport (I dont practice it... it's too dangerous, tiring and excess of it is bad for your health...) and I say that healthy people who eats veggies and fruits are not only sissies, not only mentally inapt, they are pervert and sadistic...
Seriously, they know that hurts us to see them with their muscular/slender body, but still they parade in front of us, flouting us like if we were unfit.
They have no pity, no remorse... They even feel good about it! Shame on them!

They should be tried and emprisoned for indecency and intent to harm!

But I tell you they are the unfit ones, we got the number for us!
They will pay their arrogance... soon.

For those who doubt that's sarcasm of course...

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Before2017Victor

I remember that "news" report from a year or two ago... HEAVILY distorted, by the way.

The very skinny boy in it is actually recovering from annorexia, he is using raw veganism to this aim since it has shown to balance body weight(i.e. if you're fat it'll help you slim down, if you're too thin it helps put on weight).

Though it's a bit deceitful to put that video up in that it claims to be on RAW VEGANISM. They throw the orthorexia nonsense in to make it out to be a disorder(it isn't, food doesn't grow "cooked", not to mention humans are the only animal that feels the need to burn its food). The woman in that "report" was NEVER even vegetarian, let alone raw vegan, she was very obsessed with the dietary numbers(callories, fat etc.) of what she ate. Just because her obsession was with food doesn't make eating food one considers safe somehow mentally unhealthy. She was sick about what she ate, not sick because of what she ate!

That doctor person who made up "orthorexia nervosa" self diagnosed himself with a new disorder that he just came up with because he felt that not eating whatever crap everyone else was in a social situation was a problem! I've heard a similar nonsense notion against choosing a dietary/lifestyle, that essetially said something to the effect of "If you are vegan it is rude to be vegan in front of non-vegan people...because you will make them feel uncomfortable..."

They also show healthy looking raw vegans in that "report"; yet they attempt to make even them look like obsessed loonies!
For instance it is a fact that some of the raw vegan dishes take days of preperation and planning, HOWEVER those thing involve sprouted seeds.....it takes more than five minutes for a seed to sprout and grow. Other things that take time are fermenting, dehydrating, and culturing.

Hell! I say almost ALL of modern society is mentally retarted when it comes to food! Not 100 years ago did most everyone bake their own...everything! Convenience has redused the quality of life.... Most are to stupid(and by both retarded and stupid I mean sincerly, not as a crude insult) to know any better, they've been so programed that the only kind of work they should do is for their boss...at a "job".

Baking bread from scratch isn't so hard, buying it is a million times easier...'sides my tv show is coming on, not time to cook

(btw, I don't watch the magic hypno box)

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

www.naturalnews.com

"Fixation with healthy eating can be sign of serious psychological disorder" and goes on to claim this "disease" is called orthorexia nervosa -- which is basically just Latin for "nervous about correct eating."

Okay, I'm enjoying a good, hearty laugh at your expense right now. You and everyone else who got all outraged over this.

Is english not you first language? I ask because, right there in the part I quoted above, it says "fixation with healthy eating." Not "trying to eat healthy," not "keeping a balanced diet" - fixation.

As in, obsessive behavior. Like if you had a "fixation" on not eating too much to stay thin - you know, anorexics - or if you had a "fixation" with keeping clean - like say, showering 20 times a day.

We're not talking normal healthy eaters here. How is this hard to comprehend?

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Wow, quite surprised with this, given that healthy eating was pushed by the very same people that now criticise it as some form of neurological disorder (guardian).

They have a whole secondary website contradicting their own foul smelling ranting...

www.guardianeatright.co.uk...

All thats missing in the original source article is some small print at the bottom saying sponsored by McDonalds

Eat what you want, feel the effects for yourself and a mirror will tell you over time if you are in doubt, is how I view it. Even take something such as a steak from a large supermarket and get a steak from a locally sourced butcher and cook both side to side and you can not only taste the difference but see it as the mass produced junk from large stores ends up stringy, grey and rubbery.

I am fortunate enough to live in a village that has some excellent produce and I use every local store that stocks local produce from less than 5 miles away in each case. Meat, dairy, fishmongers, fruit and veg, bakery and so on. Best of all you get some banter from every store as well and cheaper prices for excellent quality.

I was tempted to say that I do not focus on healthy eating all that much but the reality is, I am fortunate enough that I do not have to and im thankful for it as well because I enjoy good health at the moment which is something that is all to often taken for granted.

[edit on 1-7-2010 by XXXN3O]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nightflyer28

"Fixation with healthy eating can be sign of serious psychological disorder"
Okay, I'm enjoying a good, hearty laugh at your expense right now. You and everyone else who got all outraged over this.
Is english not you first language?

I have to ask if English is not your first language?

I ask because, right there in the part I quoted above, it says "fixation with healthy eating." Not "trying to eat healthy," not "keeping a balanced diet" - fixation.

You have just stated that "healthy eating" is NOT the same as:

"trying to eat healthy" or "keeping a balanced diet"

You definatley do not understand the English language!

We're not talking normal healthy eaters here.

IF we are not talking about >HEALTHY EATERS< here

Then WHY IS IT referred to as a fixation on HEALTHY EATING?????

Clearly anyone who causes themselve to be sick
from poor eating choices IS NOT A HEALTHY EATER.

IF YOU WERE FIXATED ON EATING HEALTHY,
YOU WOULD BE IN A HEALTHY CONDITION
REGARDLESS OF ANY ISSUE WITH FIXATIONS

To officially classify this so called "disease"
as being associated with HEALTHY EATING
is OUTRAGEOUS.

HEALTHY EATING DOES NOT CAUSE EMACIATION AND DISEASE

OR IT WOULD NOT BE HEALTHY EATING.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nightflyer28

www.naturalnews.com

"Fixation with healthy eating can be sign of serious psychological disorder" and goes on to claim this "disease" is called orthorexia nervosa -- which is basically just Latin for "nervous about correct eating."

Is english not you first language? I ask because, right there in the part I quoted above, it says "fixation with healthy eating." Not "trying to eat healthy," not "keeping a balanced diet" - fixation.

As in, obsessive behavior. Like if you had a "fixation" on not eating too much to stay thin - you know, anorexics - or if you had a "fixation" with keeping clean - like say, showering 20 times a day.

We're not talking normal healthy eaters here. How is this hard to comprehend?

When you refuse a meal because you deem it unhealthy, is it fixation?
When you refuse twice maybe?
Thrice?
How many times do you have to refuse to eat s***ty food to be "diagnosed" as making a fixation?

My meaning is that fixation can be defined by the number of times people see you simply trying to buy/obtain healthy food... as they are already able to monitor your buyings with your credit card... That's just gonna be worse.
If it's not the frequency of your refusal, it may be the one of your buyings...
How many fruits/vegetable/cereals a day will be considered obsession??

And as healthy food is gonna become more and more scarce, the ones who will still try to avoid GMO and other over-processed/industrialized food will be denounced as obsessed...

Why is there even the need to create this new "illness"?
Doesnt that say something of their intentions?
Or is it simply because a big pharma company is about to launch a new "cure" for orthorexia?
Great news... That's gonna be helpful...
But, hey, they cannot decently put a product on the market BEFORE to CREATE the disease... That would be too obvious...

[edit on 1-7-2010 by Project_USA]

[edit on 1-7-2010 by Project_USA]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I didn't see them mentioning a person wanting to eat healthy food or choosing healthy food over unhealthy to be mentally diseased, it said a person who has a preoccupation with eating healthy food may have a mental disorder.

Just like preferring to having a clean house over a dirty house is not unhealthy, obsessive people need things clean all the time, and are constantly cleaning everything. I think it's probably the same time of mental problem. And trust me, if you've ever lived with an obsessive compulsive person, you know how frustrating it can both for the person living with the person and the person him/herself.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Declaring a new mental disorder is a mental disorder.

See, i am talented enough to bite myself in my own arse.

As long as i am chomping down really painfully & really hard on theirs . . .

You see they attempt to mask the fact that they are obsessive & confabulating neurotics, by absurd accusations about other people's behavior.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Calender

First, understand that, for our government, there is no such thing as unhealthy food in our stores/supermarket as they are authorized for consumption... So, what, for them, is healthy food?

Would they, by defining healthy food, recognize implicitly that they let companies sell us junk?
Interesting...

Second, why create a new special "disease" out of it?!
Is this type of compulsive disorder a new trend? And if so why?
Would it be because junk food is invading our tables?

Anyway, I repeat my question: "How many vegetables/fruits would we have to buy a day to be considered obsessed with healthy food, thus diagnosed with orthorexia?"

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkelf
This is just unbelievable! I am very focused on healthy eating now because I was just diagnosed with type II adult onset diabetes. I have to read the lables of everything I buy to make sure it's on my ok to eat list. I've also been incorporating a lot of fresh fruits and veggies. And this make me mentally ill??

Do youself a favor and read my thread...
...can turn around Type II in a few months...

Deadly Diabetes Deception
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Ok I have to add something that I hadn't wanted to (because I didn't want to admit it myself) but here goes.
A while back I moved to an area where I'm forced by nature and money constraints to eat 'seasonally'.
That means if it's in season and ripe, I eat it, if not, oh well...
The only thing I eat out of a package is an occasional saltine (or popcorn when I just can't stand not nibbling) and white or semolina flour (to make my own bread, pasta etc).
Besides that it's 100% natural.
No soda, only real seasonal fruit juice and water (rare thimble of espresso)...
It took some getting used to but I have to admit - as much as I hate to - feet better than I Have in a long long time.

So, for all it's worth, there you go - eat healthy - feel healthy.

No nut job in that...

peace

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by CuteChimaera

Originally posted by Before2017Victor

I remember that "news" report from a year or two ago... HEAVILY distorted, by the way.

The very skinny boy in it is actually recovering from annorexia, he is using raw veganism to this aim since it has shown to balance body weight(i.e. if you're fat it'll help you slim down, if you're too thin it helps put on weight).

Though it's a bit deceitful to put that video up in that it claims to be on RAW VEGANISM. They throw the orthorexia nonsense in to make it out to be a disorder(it isn't, food doesn't grow "cooked", not to mention humans are the only animal that feels the need to burn its food). The woman in that "report" was NEVER even vegetarian, let alone raw vegan, she was very obsessed with the dietary numbers(callories, fat etc.) of what she ate. Just because her obsession was with food doesn't make eating food one considers safe somehow mentally unhealthy. She was sick about what she ate, not sick because of what she ate!

That doctor person who made up "orthorexia nervosa" self diagnosed himself with a new disorder that he just came up with because he felt that not eating whatever crap everyone else was in a social situation was a problem! I've heard a similar nonsense notion against choosing a dietary/lifestyle, that essetially said something to the effect of "If you are vegan it is rude to be vegan in front of non-vegan people...because you will make them feel uncomfortable..."

They also show healthy looking raw vegans in that "report"; yet they attempt to make even them look like obsessed loonies!
For instance it is a fact that some of the raw vegan dishes take days of preperation and planning, HOWEVER those thing involve sprouted seeds.....it takes more than five minutes for a seed to sprout and grow. Other things that take time are fermenting, dehydrating, and culturing.

Hell! I say almost ALL of modern society is mentally retarted when it comes to food! Not 100 years ago did most everyone bake their own...everything! Convenience has redused the quality of life.... Most are to stupid(and by both retarded and stupid I mean sincerly, not as a crude insult) to know any better, they've been so programed that the only kind of work they should do is for their boss...at a "job".

Baking bread from scratch isn't so hard, buying it is a million times easier...'sides my tv show is coming on, not time to cook

(btw, I don't watch the magic hypno box)

Yea it was heavily distorted. Though sometimes it helps to gain and understanding of something through observation. You know? It's one thing to read it as text and have pre-concieved notions about it, but once you see the thing it can help. You know what I mean? I just hope the Op knows that orthorexia is an extreme...and it's not that "anyone who eats healthy is considered mentally ill".

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by slank

You realize that new disorders aren't created simply because psychiatrists deem it so, right? A new disorder requires research, and to do research you need people who are actually complaining about the behavior. This disorder arose out of the fact that people were suffering, and to such a great number that it could not be included under another disorder. So, this is not just a bunch of psychiatrists who hate healthy eaters, it's a bunch of people suffering from mental anguish and then a bunch of psychiatrists that it may be an emerging problem that needs to be looked into.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
this is the exact reason i dislike pyshology. these pyschologists pick ordinary behaviors and claim that a slight over expression of it is a mental sickness.. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

all the GMO and MSG in the food out there, the people have a right to be food conscious!
whatever, they just wanna keep us dumbed down. anyways it's so hard to separate the actual organic from the fake. whole foods isn't even organic... who knows what food sources we can trust nowadays

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Considering it is rather obvious that it is a disorder?

I eat whatever i want ; MREs , hamburgers , Fruit , Beef ,french fries, i mean anything. I never think about what i eat. If i notice i am gaining weight .. you know what i do? I run harder and further. Get up and run.

If you actually feel guilty because you just devoured a bowl or two of captain crunch .. you got a problem. IMO

I eat about 4000 calories a day , and my heart is still tickin. You are gonna die one way or another

It does not seem hard to me to compare obese people's infatuation with food and "healthy" people's infatuation with food. You both think about food constantly and have to fight yourself - restrain. F that .. get up .. work out .. eat more. Good to go

edit on 31-1-2012 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   
There is an element of truth in the Guardian article. I don't think anyone is saying that it's wrong to choose healthy alternatives. But there ARE those who take it too far and it does become an obsession. Moderation in all things is the key.

edit on 31-1-2012 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   

www.naturalnews.com

I think you might want to take that website off your "reliable sources" list. As at least one other has said, there's no such disorder and no move to make it a disorder. I'm not sure where their resources come from, but I have seen them badly misinterpret stories before (the latest one being about fluoride -- a rant about it being dangerous when the study they linked to showed how a fluoride compound injected directly into the veins landed in the most damaged areas in the blood vessels to clearly show where problems were.)

Orthorexa nervosa (where they got their information) is a mental condition where people are obsessed to the point of not being able to eat because they're afraid of everything in the food and in extreme cases starve themselves to death.

Bratman claims that in rare cases, this focus may turn into a fixation so extreme that it can lead to severe malnutrition or even death. Even in less severe cases, the attempt to follow a diet that cannot provide adequate nourishment is said to lower self-esteem as the orthorexics blame themselves rather than their diets for their constant hunger and the resulting cravings for forbidden foods.

Source: en.wikipedia.org...

I think you can see from the Wikipedia article that this could be a problem. I think you can also see that nobody's going to lock you up for eating healthy.

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join