It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Choosing healthy foods now called a mental disorder

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+41 more 
posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Choosing healthy foods now called a mental disorder

www.naturalnews.com

This is no joke: If you focus on eating healthy foods, you're "mentally diseased" and probably need some sort of chemical treatment involving powerful psychotropic drugs.

"Fixation with healthy eating can be sign of serious psychological disorder" and goes on to claim this "disease" is called orthorexia nervosa -- which is basically just Latin for "nervous about correct eating."

If you eat processed junk foods laced with synthetic chemicals, that's okay with them. The mental patients are
(visit the link for the full news article)

+5 more 
posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
ARGHHHHHHH
I am so angry right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are telling me that wanting to eat healthy is a mental disorder?

But why, you ask, would they attack healthy eaters? People like Dr. Gabriel Cousens can tell you why: Because increased mental and spiritual awareness is only possible while on a diet of living, natural foods.

Eating junk foods keeps you dumbed down and easy to control, you see. It literally messes with your mind, numbing your senses with MSG, aspartame and yeast extract. People who subsist on junk foods are docile and quickly lose the ability to think for themselves. They go along with whatever they're told by the TV or those in apparent positions of authority, never questioning their actions or what's really happening in the world around them.

I wonder if there is any truth to this

I was speaking to a friend from Kentucky last week, he just started an organic farm and he was telling me that him eating raw fruits and vegetables is increasing his focus and thinking capabilities.

It's interesting how there might actually be some truth to this.

Honestly this is a piss-off though, and they really suck for this!!!!

www.naturalnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
This is just unbelievable! I am very focused on healthy eating now because I was just diagnosed with type II adult onset diabetes. I have to read the lables of everything I buy to make sure it's on my ok to eat list. I've also been incorporating a lot of fresh fruits and veggies. And this make me mentally ill??

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I got a kick out of this article. I'm a person who eats pretty healthy, and avoid the processed food aisles in the grocery store, like the plauge!

I've always eaten this way, also avoiding pork and shellfish, at all costs.......don't ever touch things like catfish, either!

I suppose it could be worse when you think about it. What would you eat if you were really hungy, and had few options.

I think I'd go for this, rather than any old fast food chain anyday! Probably more nutricious! So, I find the article obscene for saying fast food is a normal crave.

link

(AP) Chopped cardboard, softened in an industrial chemical and made tasty with pork flavoring, is a main ingredient in batches of steamed buns sold in a Beijing neighborhood, state television said.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I heard about this before and it is the MOST ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Do they have a name like this for people who smoke cigarettes?
I know who's behind this, Phsyciatrists, they have a name for every thing, even a complex name for inability to learn math well, we are all sick and diseased on at least 20 different levels according to them. Let me guess, the cure for this is.....medication. Maybe Xanax, Klonopin or valium. Perfect for counteracting all that healthy lifestyleism.
I really hate modern science sometimes.
Sick F******s. I think we should make up a name for them, Drug-pusherismnervosasickoiticliarismloonymakers, or something.

+5 more 
posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Eating healthy food makes you feel good and provides you with energy. Junk food makes you feel like crap. Surely that's all one needs to know.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I always said I was mentally unstable...

I guess now I have proof???
Whay would someone think a choice of healthy food is a mental disorder? I know they've used the term"health food nuts" but I never really thought they actually thought we were nuts...literally!!!!!
BTW if I didn't have children to feed, they'd really think I had a mental disorder, because when it's only myself to worry about, I will become a total vegan and healthy food eater only!!!! I can't do it now as my financial situation being so bad and not being able to afford two seperate diets one for me and one for the rest of the family, who refuse to give up meat and junk stuffs like mac nad cheese and hotdogs and chicken strips/nuggets, canned processed foods, etc etc. I still manage to get them to eat very healthy organic, fresh veggies though as well, and I still get my nuts and berries I love so much...lol.

I also don't eat the junk crap so much. Sometimes I will eat something else than there dinner.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
So, i would love to get into healthy eating...problem is...i don't know whats truly healthy and whats been modified. Anyone got links to what the "crazies" are eating?

+10 more 
posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
In the upcoming DSM V, there is no such eating disorder listed in their eating disorders category:

www.dsm5.org...

Additionally if you do a search for 'orthorexia' you get this:

"No results matching your search were found."

Orthorexia is also not found in the ICD-10.

A review of the literature at pubmed.com yields 17 results for 'orthorexia nervosa' dating back to 2002.

Even if the medical establishment wanted to add this 'new' diagnosis, there would have to be much more literature conducted in peer-reviewed journals. Single case studies and measurement validation attempts from Sweden and Turkey just don't cut it.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Why is it that unhealthy foods taste so much better than healthy foods? You only live once,so I'll eat My beef,Pork and other unthealthy foods and enjoy Myself.

link   
reply to post by Juggernutty

I don't know where you live, but one of these stores is a good place to start if you want to change your eating habits. The sticker shock is a little hard to get used to, though!

link

Bon appetite!

link   
crazy that you mention the second part.

after watching a few anti-monsanto movies i was able to scare myself into a diet change, and i have eaten nothing but raw hemp for the past 2 weeks or so.

how much better i feel is indescribable, and wouldn't you know it just about every other problem i had magically went away. i actually feel normal again. i wasnt able to see how all the crap i was eating was effecting me until i cut it all out and then it was almost like coming off of a drug

i remember feeling like this as a kid, everything being all clear and sharp..

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
This is a joke!

I can play this game too!

I invented a new disorder for TPTB and Phsyciatrists, “resurrectio populus nervosa," which is Latin for, “nervous about the people awakening.”

Psychotic freaks

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by BigDaveJr
Why is it that unhealthy foods taste so much better than healthy foods?

Because in the ancestral environment, where starvation was actually an issue, the body was "designed" to be able to detect energy-dense (read: high calorie) foods. Evolution never "expected" civilization to overcome starvation. Since this is the case, there is little in the way of a moderation instinct telling you you've had enough and to cut it out.

That instinct is something you have to create in yourself through discipline. But with it, you can train yourself to have a taste for healthy food and a distaste for unhealthy food. Ask anyone who used to eat junk food and is now committed to a healthy diet. Except in exceptional circumstances like extreme hunger or having just hiked through the mountains all day, they don't even like junk food anymore.

[edit on 29-6-2010 by NewlyAwakened]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose

I don't know where you live, but one of these stores is a good place to start if you want to change your eating habits. The sticker shock is a little hard to get used to, though!

link

Bon appetite!

Do they accept food stamps!?

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   

To be honest with you, I have no idea if they accept food stamps or things like WIC.

You can find a location for the store closest to you in the link. You probably need to call them and check.

One thing I have noticed though, for myself, is that if I eat more healthy foods, I don't get hungry as often, or have food cravings.

While a store like this might use up money faster, at least you know what your are getting is better for you.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by MKULTRA

Thanks for the search, MK. I would just add that in the vast number of these types of "disorders", there is a corollary that basically says "to the point that such behaviors impinge on the person's general well-being", ie becomes a compulsion. I have seen people so obsessed w/ what they eat that by limiting it down to 4 "healthy" foods, they actually become unhealthy. Or, a person could spend so much of their time and energy focused on the need to eat certain foods and thus experience serious anxiety about it that it threatens their well-being.

That said, the DSM is really mostly useful as a billing code bible, the complexity of the human mind is such that rarely does anyone have a textbook case of anything. It can be a useful guide but not much else. Esp. in mental health, choosing the therapist that really "gets you" and wants to aid you in going where you want to go is the key. What diagnosis you get is really secondary in most cases.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

So besides the place you get your food from, are there certain types of foods that are suposed to be better? like only fruits and veggies? or is meat ok? cuz i love me a steak

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
This article makes perfect sense as I have automobile nervosa and refuse to jog in the fast lane on the highway

Yesterday there were two articles that validated my desire to eat natural and vegan.

1) McDonalds using the same chemical, found in silly puddy, to prepare the nuggets that are fed to our children.

2) The FDA is set to approve genetically engineered Salmon.

Call me crazy but fruits, veggies and nuts are fine in my book for living happy.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
"Intelligence is a mental disorder citizens!, proceed to block A4 for brain liquefaction"

I know people would line up... a lot of people would seriously line up. What a joke, you want to build a better body and mind and you're mildly insane? And what is believing paper has value according to the symbols on it?

This is a joke.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join